Olympic swimming pool refitted

Fernando MG

Aug 8, 2018
Good night to everyone!
During Olympic´s career, many of her interiors were refitted, in one way of another, during her many overhauls. But the first swimming pool remained untouched since 1911 until 1935 (despite minor details). I´ve always wondered why?
By 1913, Imperator was on service, with her famous Pompeian bath. The same can be seen on her sister ships, and even the SS Victoria Luise (converted from Deutschland) featured a luxurious indoor pool. We know that the one on Britannic was also designed to include marble-like panelling, balustrades and pillasters. It seems strange that after all this, White Star didn´t update Olympic´s to a similar décor. Any thoughts on this?
Thank you! :) :)

Jan 23, 2019

I'm not sure where the pool could be expanded to. It can't go across the ship because the boiler casing is right there. I'm not sure how willing they'd be to have it intrude further into the passenger accommodation in the bow, and if it were to be extended further towards the stern, the Turkish Baths would be destroyed.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's because Olympic simply wasn't built to accommodate a larger pool.

Reactions: 1 user

Fernando MG

Aug 8, 2018
Yes, I asumed it couldn´t be expanded because of the ship design, unless they sacrifice other spaces. I meant why they didn´t re-decorate the one on Olympic like Britannic´s (the panelling, the pillasters and so), without changing the compartment´s dimensions