Olympic Titanic Britannicvideo

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
This 50 minute video (nicely subtitled "The Beloved, the Damned and the Forgotten") was first released in 1985 but I have just had the opportunity to watch it for the first time.

Some excellent footage (both still and moving) make this a worthwhile addition to any Titanic video collection. Some examples are moving footage of Olympic's launch, her departure on her maiden voyage from Southampton, her final departure for the breakers, Titanic's departure from Southampton, and (this was a pleasant surprise) interviews with several survivors of the sunken Nantucket lightship.

The sizeable crowd which gathered to greet Olympic when she arrived for scrapping gives a good idea of how much it meant to workers hit hard by the Great Depression, and generally why there was absolutely no chance that she was going to be preserved forever. The very small crowd which saw Titanic off from Southampton also torpedoes the idea that her maiden voyage began in a blaze of fanfare. Olympic's did, yes, but not her middle sister's.

The narrative is a bit irritating at times, most notably the assertions that a) the "mystery ship" seen by Titanic was the Samson and (b that Britannic was loaded with munitions in direct contradiction with her role as hospital ship, but these are minor quibbles. Pictures speak louder than words, and some material which I have never seen before makes it all worthwhile.

Anybody else seen this video? Any opinions?

(Hope I posted this in the right thread. Nothing quite seems to fit but Movies is close enough I hope!)

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
If the DVD comes out, then I will buy it. Here in Singapore, because of the humidity, I have many nasty experiences with video tapes.....
cry.gif

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Matthew!

I have not heard of or seen this movie however now I think I must track it down and view it!
smile.gif

Best Regards,

Brian

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Brian, I bought it through Amazon so that is one place where you can hunt it down. They have a very good selection of Titanic video's - trying to choose is like being a kid in a candy store!

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
It's not bad for what it is. Unfortunately it was made shorty before the wreck was discovered, so parts are obsolete. I can't see a DVD coming out. My copy was made in 1994 by Fifth Avenue Films. Copies are still floating about Down Under.

Nov 8, 2003
ive got it very good but its a bitto utdated still it was made in 1985 so we can exactly blame it for that can we