OLYMPIC & TITANIC The Truth Behind The Conspiracy

Steven Hall

Steven Hall

Matthew,
These mistakes will be fixed up soon.

Mike,
hope you enjoy the book. I just sent out several copies today for people whom bought it for christmas presents also.

There is also one or two other little typo's also in the book. They to will be fixed up soon also.

Steve

Dave Gittins

Dave Gittins

There's nothing wrong with the statement on page 28. Wilde indeed replaced Murdoch as Chief Officer at Southampton. It was David Blair who stayed safely on terra firma. Some evidence suggests that some of the crew were a bit vague on the officers' ranks, as Steve and Bruce suggest.

I've not read the book in detail, but it seems to me that any minor errors are insignificant alongside its virtues. There are odd things like missing apostrophes and in places the dreaded spelling checker has let things through. For instance, Titanic goes on trails instead of trials. I know from experience how easily these things slip in. A future edition should be better, so lets hope one is needed.

In the meantime, get out and buy!

M

Matthew Lips

URGGHHII!!
Sound of one moron trying to remove foot from mouth! I know Wilde replaced Murdoch as First Officer. I was getting my Wildes and by Blairs muddled up - figured it out about two days later! Either a case of not enough coffee, or too much coffee!

My humblest apologies! I didn't mean to offend the authors of what is (aside from the odd spelling, grammatical or caption blooper) a mighty fine volume. I would recommend it to anyone.

The way in which the numerous differences between Titanic and Olympic are highlighted through a whole series of virtually unique photographs is most impressive and should kill any lingering doubts about which ship sank, once and for all. A lovely book, and well worth adding to any Titanic library.

I have Mark Chirnside's two books on order from Amazon. I will try and be half awake before I make any remarks about them!

Dave Gittins

Dave Gittins

Happens to us all, Matthew. I recently managed to have starboard on the left side of the ship. Dumb!

Try Coke and pizza. It works for some!

Steven Hall

Steven Hall

I took no offence at your comments Matthew. When a book is published — it’s open for critical review. Bruce and I have received many (types of complementary & critical) reviews of the book and appreciate any type of feedback.
What we find strange, the conspiracy theory appears to be a subject that the general reader cannot get enough of. I have been asked to do a follow-up to the book — but as Bruce and I have decided, we have taken it (the conspiracy) as far as we choose to take it.
Some reviewers have stated that the book did not need the conspiracy angle — while others have stated the conspiracy was the highlight. Bruce has an extra ordinary expertise when it comes to the actual ship, while my first love is her photographic history - and that’s where the next work will be.

B

Bob Godfrey

Don't know your port from your starboard, Dave? Never mind, some people don't even know which is the pointed end: "The sea was perfectly smooth when we left the ship. All the lights were burning, and you could see that she was going down. You could see that her stern was getting pretty low in the water". (Joseph Boxhall, for the BBC).

M

Michael Tennaro

Steve and Bruce have been the most forthcoming authors I think I have ever dealt with when it comes to their book. Both have emailed ME noting where mistakes and bloopers slipped into the text.

Guys, I don't think you realize just how important the conspiracy busting portion of your book is. Sure, most of the people on this forum know what a load of nonsense the switch thing is, but there are thousands of casual readers who take such things at face value. Having a book available that so effectively points out the flaws in the switch theory is a very important contribution to the literature, and I am very grateful you two chose to publish it. I know how close it came that you almost didn't!

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

>>What we find strange, the conspiracy theory appears to be a subject that the general reader cannot get enough of.<<

I'm not really surprised by this in the least. Die hard "True Believer" conspiracy theorists are the sort of people who fancy themselves to in on the cutting edge of history, politics, and religion as it "really" (insert knowing wink here) is and fancy themselves to be the ones who are "really (insert knowing wink here) In the know" with everybody else being "Brainwashed by The Establishment". Anyone attempting to hit them with anything as awkward and inconvenient as The Facts will just get the stock response: "Oh, that's all just part of The Conspiracy."

You can't really win with these guys no matter how wrong they are.

With just about anybody else, it would seem that it's enough for them to think that there just might be something to it but "We'll never really know." (Does that sound familier?) Steve, I think the important service your work does is show that we really can know. It'll never sway the True Believer types, but for everyone else, it shows the ship switch theory for the utterly bogus fraud that it is.

Dave Gittins

Dave Gittins

A thing that intrigues me is that in Oz at least, every Tom, Dick and Harriet seems to know of the 'conspiracy', yet few of them have read Gardiner's books. His first book was released here in 1996, with great fanfare. Maybe people just noticed the blurbs in the bookshops, or perhaps the book was featured on trash TV, such as Sixty Minutes or A Current Affair. It's a puzzlement!

M

Matthew Lips

Dave - as long as you were on dry land when you got your starboard and port muddled up, no harm done! Come to think, it might have helped the Andrea Doria if someone had made the same mistake that night, but that's another tale.

As for Coke and pizza...yummy, but my fiancee is already muttering darkly about my waistline.

Anyway, Steve, sorry again for my mix-up. I must say, it's a new experience having a conversation with the co-author of a book I have just read. The wonders of modern telecommunications. Once again, a great book which makes its point in no uncertain fashion. Anybody who reads it and still believes the Olympic sank in Titanic's place probably thinks the Earth is flat and the moon is made of green cheese.

M

Mike Bull

'...but my fiancee is already muttering darkly about my waistline.'

My wife is the same, but I say that there's absolutely nothing wrong with being 92 feet wide. ;-)

M

Mike Bull

Had it for Christmas! Excellent book, full of wonderful detail about the differences between the two ships- SO glad I've got it. I like the way it calmly, easily and utterly conclusively takes the 'theory' apart, though I fear that any pro-switch idiot- Gardiner with his forthcoming third book, for example- will probably just say- 'Well, okay, so there was more to the switch than just the windows...' and so they will continue to go harping on. We all know that it's absurd, but in the face of this excellent work, I don't know how those people would dare show their faces again, let alone continue to publish on the subject.

An excellent, excellent book.

J

Jesse D O'Neill

While I've Never Agreed w/ The Switch Theory, And Therefore Have Never purchased a Gardiner Book, I Bought This Book "OLYMPIC & TITANIC The Truth Behind The Conspiracy" For The Techie Details. Execellent When it Comes To That, and the Differences between the 2 ships, the Olympic and Britannic Appendices are good too. This Book Is Highly Recomended

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

>> We all know that it's absurd, but in the face of this excellent work, I don't know how those people would dare show their faces again, let alone continue to publish on the subject.<<

Simple: They just do it. Especially if there are dollar or pound sterling signs waiting for them in front of some numbers. I've never known conspiracy theorists to be restrained by the facts and ever want for all sorts of circular reasoning to dismiss same.

M

monica e. hall

I'd say Steve and Bruce got it just about right. A canny balance between conspiracy theory and fact. After all, if you're an author, you want to sell as many as possible and just relying on techies for sales won't be nearly as attractive to a publisher as tapping the conspiracy theorists. I thought they'd been quite clever really - luring both markets and blasting them all with satisfactory facts and photos (satisfactory to the techies, that is; the theorists will be scrabbling around the book looking for that tiny glimmer of hope...)