Olympic v Titanic

Aidan Bowe

Aug 11, 2004
Whilst my life long fascination with Titanic will never dim,I have recently been more drawn to Olympic.Whilst not distracting from Titanic,Olympic went on to carry out the very purpose for which she was designed - The North Atlantic Run.The nigh on 25 years of her life must have been filled with as much drama to equal Titanic's tragically short life.Who knows what joy,heartache echoed through her interiors? She excelled herself during the First world war and was the empitome of high class style throughout the 20's.Considering her life span and association with Titanic there still seems to be very few of her interior shots taken apart from those around the time of her maiden voyage...What a pity that her fixtures and fittings were broken up and cast to the 4 corners of the globe.How many items still exist out there in peoples homes,lofts who have no idea of their association.Anybody else out there who feels such a strong affinity to her?

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Aidan,

Anybody else out there who feels such a strong affinity to her?

There certainly are a number of Olympic enthusiasts around. She did have a great career and there is still a lot to be discovered about this wonderful ship. After all, as you've indicated she was highly successful and a very popular ship in her prime. It seems that she is finally being seen as a successful liner in her own right, rather than being remembered for the tragic fates of her sisters.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Reactions: 1 user

Phillip Ivey

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah, too bad anybody didn't try to preserve Olympic and turn it into a historical monument to Titanic, Olympic, Britannic, and that era of time.

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
Too bad indeed. I can imagine walking down her decks and into her grand interiors. Although I bet maintaining it would be too costly. If I had been alive and had the proper funds, I would have purchased much of the Boat Deck, all of A deck, B deck and C- Deck, and the Dining Saloon and Reception areas of D Deck and I would have created a very large hotel with the Grand Staircases fully complete and the public rooms would have been arranged as close to their original configuration as possible. One can dream.

Michael lowe

Apr 2, 2006
It would have been nice to have Olympic in a museum as a reminder of what TITANIC and BRITANNIC were like. But, i believe i read this in Mr Chirnsides book:THE OLYMPIC CLASS SHIPS, Olympic, Titanic and Britannic. "people at the time of the olympic did not want to be reminded of the Titanic. so, there wouldn't have been much of a chance for old Lympic. if you want to know about any of these class of ship, i suggest you by Mark chirnsides book, from Amazon, or your local store. it is the best book i've ever read, i am loaning it from my library and i don't want to give it back!!

Mark Chirnside rules!!

Take her to sea Mr Murdoch-lets stretch her legs

Apr 29, 2007
i do feel very strongly about Olympic. She's my favorite ship in the world. actually i'd say her and johnny depp would be my all time favorite things ever. i feel horrible about what happened to her. if i were alive i would have bought her in a heart beat. if i couldn't afford her, i'd probally come up with a rash escape plan. granted we'd probally both go down, but at least i'd have gone down with her. my friends are right. i am obsessed with Olympic. i mean, i'm the kid that says i would have given my life in order for Olympic to keep hers. i think Olympic still deserves to be here, as herself, a whole ship, instead of being a tiny piece of wood that fits in the palm of my hand. to me the Cunard Line was responsible for her death. and i won't ever forgive them.

B

Brent Holt

Olympic is easily my favorite liner. But I would not be too hard on Cunard. Her retirement in 1935 was be no means certain and they did try to find other employment for her as a cruise ship. But these plan were cancelled when it was projected she would lose money on the cruises and that the Aquitania and Berengaria would run in the black in 1935,while the Majestic and Olympic would not.
With the gift of hindsight, Cunard should have kept Olympic and retired Majestic and then Berengaria in her place. But hindsight is always 20/20.
Even if she had survived to serve in WWII and not been lost in the conflict, she still would probably been scrapped by 1950 like Aquitania. Such is the way of things....

Brent

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>me the Cunard Line was responsible for her death. and i won't ever forgive them.<<

With respect, I would submit that you're over-reacting. Shipping lines can't afford to be all that sentimental when it comes to the bottom line on the ledger and the thirties were the hight of the depression. Cunard had to make some very hard decisions as a matter of survival, and even with government intervention, survival was not a sure thing.

I don't think they would have had any serious objections to some of the old White Star tonnage being turned into a museum, but the catch is that in the 1930's, there was little substantive interest in turning even the most notable ships into museums. People who were losing their homes and going hungry had more pressing concerns, and the money just wasn't there to make it happen.

Jul 11, 2001
Much like the Mauritania, the Olympic was out dated by the 30s. The public wanted modern liners like the Queen Mary or the ultra stylish Normandie.

The Olympic wasn't air conditioned, didn't have private baths for all accomodations. And the flavor of the staterooms and public rooms was old fashioned too.

Even if the Olympic hadn't had that accident, it surely wouldn't have sailed too much longer.

B

Brent Holt

"Even if the Olympic hadn't had that accident, it surely wouldn't have sailed too much longer."

I assume you are referring to the collision with the Nantucket Lightship in May 1934? The accident had no effect on Olympic's retirement. (She was not withdrawn until 11 months later) The arguments you use against Olympic also apply to Berengaria, Majestic, and Aquitania.

Brent

B

Brian R Peterson

<p>
Had the Olympic survived to see Korean War service like Aquitania, it would have been fantastic to see color photos of her interiors, particularly her First Class staterooms.

I have done colorized photos based on builder's specs and other sources, but to see actual color photos would have been amazing.

Best Regards,

Brian

B

Brent Holt

The Aquitania never saw further war service after WW2. She was used to move immigrants to Canada from 1948 to 1949. She was retired after this.

Brent

Dec 7, 2000
Even as modern liners were entering service in the late 1920's and early 1930's, there were many travellers who still believed Olympic had some of the nicest staterooms afloat. While "old" her accommodations apparently still appealed to many.

Regards,

Daniel.

Sean Hankins

May 15, 2004
Looking at Brent's post it makes me wonder, had Olympic survived WW2, could she have made it just long enough afterward for the Titanic movies of the 50s to be filmed onboard?!..........I should stop now before the "if onlys" start getting attached to Olympic as they are with Titanic :)

B

Brent Holt

This is a slight change of subject, but I have never seen an actual color photo of the interiors of Aquitania. That seems odd since she made it to 1950. I suspect she still looked fine, if worn, during her austerity service to Halifax in the late 40s.

Brent

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
When Aquitania was used as an immigrant ship, there weren't a lot of here interiors there. Most had been stripped out when she was fitted out as a troop transport. My mother took the Aquitania to Canada in 1944, and other than her an 30 odd other women being confined to one section of a deck (30 odd women and a few thousand soldiers coming home), she said that it was bunkbeds. She didn't mention the other areas, as they even ate in their area for their own protection, (the entrances to their area was guarded 24/7), but chances are there were very few of the fittings there. The liners that were used as troop transports had as much stripped out as possible, in order to fit more bunks. Those ships sometimes carried up to 6k troops at a time.

B

Brent Holt

I thought I had read somewhere that some of her first class facilities were intact in the late 1940s, such as the smoking room and lounge.

Brent

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
Brent

It;s quite possible, as they might not have wanted to completely strip out an old outdated liner, but in a lot of cases, the passenger accommodation was stripped out, and everything else that they could think of in order to make room for bunks.
The only way to find out is to ask someone a lot more knowledgeable that me.

Apr 21, 2007
Well Olympic and Titanic were about the same-- except the enclosed promenade deck,the gross tonnage, and some the cabins. Well Olypmic was more popular than the Titanic because she was the first of the 3 leviathens. However I have question-is there actual photographs of the Titanic's main Grand Staircase or are all of them Olympics? I read in a previous article which said this was so.