OlympicTitanic 1st class Reception rooms identical

Feb 14, 2011
I was amazed that the pattern of the illuminated 1st Class Reception Room windows on the Titanic wreck were identical to the patterns on Olympic.

I have some pro salvage chums who feel all the intact windows in the Reception Room should be 'removed and restored'. Im pro relic recovery, but thats where i draw the line..those windows should stay put...

The Reception Room on Titanic and Olympic seemed identical- EXCEPT for the additional support pillars found by the D deck entryway....
I thought the reception room carpet was green...

Im assuming the red carpet color pattern depiected in Ghosts Of The Abyss was in fact the correct color?

Tarn Stephanos

Dec 7, 2000
Tarn,

The color illustrations of Olympic's reception room that I have seen, show a reddy-orange carpet. The orange effect may be there due to the age of the illustration, but it is more red. It may even be that the colors of both these rooms were identical, unless they used a different color in the cushions of the furniture on Titanic than the green on the Olympic.

I have never seen a color reference for Titanic's reception room. Perhaps Ken has; I don't know his reasoning for choosing the color he did in the 3D illustration. Perhaps he was simply using what was the known color for the Olympic.

Regards,

Daniel.

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Anothor thing that was different between the Titanic & Olympic's Reception Rooms (R/R), was that Olympic's R/R was smaller in size because of the bigger boarding entrances, port and starboard, whilst this area was reduced on Titanic for more space in the Reception area.

Dec 7, 2000
Nigel,

At the time of Titanic this was true. However Olympic's reception room was soon to be enlarged, but it never looked identical to Titanic's, as the extra pillars were not added.

While there have been discoveries in color differences between the two ships (i.e. the Smoke room), other rooms seem to be identical. Both Olympic and Titanic's lounges had the same color scheme, so could possibly the reception rooms, reading and writing rooms. Few other color differences are available, but I bet there would be a lot more similarities. I can’t remember what was eventually decided about the dining room tiles.

Regards,

Daniel.

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
I don't really know what Olympic's tile colours are in her Saloon, Parks put forward a few sugggestions, I think one was that Olympic's had the light eggy blue hue with the red border and the gold cross. If Olympic had Titanic's colours, the black and white photographs would show a completely darker hue. I agree with what you are saying about some of the rooms being identical like the first-class Reading & Writing Room, Lounge and even the Resturuant, after 1913.

If Titanic had not sunk do you think these new accomondation additions would have occured on Olympic, like the additon of the Cafe Parisean etc?

I might not be able to reply for a week cause I'm away on holiday.

All the best,

Nigel

Dec 7, 2000
Nigel,

If Titanic had not sunk do you think these new accommodation additions would have occurred on Olympic, like the addition of the Cafe Parisean etc?

Good question, I'm guessing that it certainly would have been added to the Olympic. I think she was forced into an early refit because of the Titanic disaster. She didn't go for an accommodation make over, she had extensive safety refitting and addition of davits and boats etc as well. My point is that she probably would have had to wait a few years before anything was added.

However whatever increased revenues, the White Star Line would have added. Olympic's Cafe Parisien was not identical to Titanic; so subtle differences would still have held the passengers interested in both ships, despite them being largely similar. So I'd say that the White Star Line would have modified Olympic the way it did in 1913, but perhaps at a later date (and without the extensive safety renovations).

Daniel.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi!

Just to second that opinion; I too believe that the accommodation changes would have been made to Olympic (as in 1913) but perhaps not that early and without the safety rebuild.

Best,

Mark.