On a Sea of Glass

"On A Sea of Glass: The Life & Loss of the RMS Titanic"

Tad G. Fitch

Dec 31, 2005
Hello, here is an update on Kent Layton, Bill Wormstedt, and my book, which is going to press, possibly as early as tomorrow. As such, TMB Studios is being asked to place our order for stock of "On A Sea of Glass" as soon as possible; we will be determining our stock levels by the number of pre-orders placed, and we are almost certainly going to be the only retailer who can get it to American readers in time for the centennial anniversary. Please place your order by Wednesday to help ensure pre-anniversary fulfillment:

http://www.tmbstudios.com/proddetail.asp?prod=OASOG-Standard

The book will be released in the UK first, then several months later in the US. If there are any questions, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Tad

Mar 27, 2004
New York State, United States
Just a quick note: based on previous experience, we do not believe that American retailers such as Amazon, Barnes, Target, etc., will have time to get the book in stock before the centennial. We will be getting our stock super-fast direct from the publisher, and will be weeks ahead of any other retailer on this continent. And our US customers won't have to pay any international shipping fees to get (quickly) from Europe.

A few more details of note:

A4 interior page size, hardcover with dust-jacket
Publisher's retail price: 50GBP/$80USD
440 pages + 16 pages of full color (total 456 pgs)
Approximately 300,000 words
Approximately 450 b&w photos/illustrations
Approximately 70 full color photos/illustrations

Mar 27, 2004
What I am not sure anyone can understand without actually seeing the book is just how many different aspects of the disaster are touched on in its pages, and just how much detail we get in to in the narrative and appendices. It is an unprecedented tome on the legendary liner, and I can't wait until it starts arriving in people's hands and they are able to read it for the first time!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Kent, what's good to see with the avalanche of books and re-releases of some of the movies is that there are some real gems coming out from the hands of the varsity teams of Titanic researchers. I'm already reading my copy of the Centennial Reappraisal and I'm learning a lot.

When I saw the names of the people behind On A Sea Of Glass, I knew this was going to be one of the "must haves."

Mar 27, 2004
Well, I heard a truck in my driveway this afternoon. Peering out, I saw the yellow truck with the letters "DHL" on the side. A clearly-overwhelmed delivery girl then proceeded to carry nine large and very heavy boxes to my side door. Seconds before I saw the tag with the return-address, I figured out what it was.

On A Sea of Glass had docked in America, finishing in four days the journey that Titanic could not finish one-hundred years ago.

I've already claimed my own copy and flipped through every page. The book is tremendously large, heavy and well put together. The publishers really knocked themselves out making this a top-quality book, and it was stunning to see the 300,000 words that Tad, Bill and I labored over during the preceding months and years in finished format.

Our own pre-orders have been flying through TMB and I've put up a few copies on eBay, as well. I think that most of our newly-arrived stock is already spoken for ... but there are still a few available. If you live on my side of the pond, we're sending them out starting first thing tomorrow...

Hopefully this book will help everyone to appreciate just what it was like to experience the birth, short life, and death of the Titanic a century ago. Enjoy, everyone.

Arrival Still smaller.jpg

Mar 27, 2004
Jake,

When it does eventually arrive State-side, it will be available everywhere. But that won't be for weeks yet. That's because the book is published in the UK and shipped to American retailers via 'slow boat'. We had ours shipped super-fast via air freight; not cheap, but we knew plenty of people would want to order and receive them in time for the 100th anniversary. Hope this helps!

Jake Peterson

Mar 11, 2012
Iowa, USA
Well, Amazon gives a Jun 2012 release date, so I guess y'all were able to get it published earlier than expected.

Will certainly look into buying a copy. I'll read through the descriptions and see if it's something I might be interested in getting.

Mar 27, 2004
Jake,

There is a review already up at this site which may be of use to you:

On a Sea of Glass : The Life & Loss of the RMS Titanic Reviewed by Mike Poirier :: Titanic Review

As far as the release date, Amazon has been notorious in "creating" release dates out of nothing. We always intended, barring disaster, to publish this in February or March, and that's how it worked out in the end. We just managed to get it in stock for anyone on 'this side of the pond' before any other retailers.

That DHL delivery girl certainly earned her pay today; these boxes were heavy!

Jake Peterson

Mar 11, 2012
Iowa, USA
Well, as you can tell, U.S.'s Amazon is the one that gave the date, so you know which side I'm on. LOL

Will certainly re-read the review.

Thanks!

edit: It sounds like a good read, but since I just spent $30 for Mr. Halpern's book, I'll have to wait a while. It does sound like an interesting updated re-telling of Walter Lord's books with letters being supplied from the people who where there.

Sounds like a good read.

Mar 27, 2004
Jake,

Glad you liked the review. I can assure you that this is far more than an 'updated re-telling' of anything that's been in print before, though... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how we took the familiar and the new and wove it all together in a narrative that reads like none other. But, I digress ... LOL!

As far as Sam's book, I just received my copy of that from the publisher for having penned the Foreword. It is an excellent book, and should give you a great deal of 'food for thought' while you save your pennies for the next book. :) Take care!

Jake Peterson

Mar 11, 2012
Iowa, USA
Only negative thing I have to say so far, is that the cover of your book, and Mr. John Maxtone-Graham's books almost look alike, save for the reverse image. I'm sure that was unintentional, but I guess there are only so many ways to show a sinking Titanic on the cover when you want to use that for the picture of the book.