One funnel Two funnel

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Sifting over survivor accounts there seems to be controvesy over which funnel toppeled over. Number 1 or number 2. Although it is generally believed that the number one funnel did topple, there seems to be some evidence from fairly reliable accounts that the number two funnel did instead.
I was wondering for those who have also seen these accounts, what there take on the incident is.

Dec 2, 2000
I have seen renditions (no actual accounts) where the first funnel toppled due to the weight of the funnel against the guidewire causing the wires to snap and the funnel to topple, but that the second broke off from the force of the surface water against its base as the ship sank.

I am not an expert, and these are not the actual accounts, just renditions that I haev seen or heard of.
Hello Michael, hope you are well.
Maureen.

B

Ben Thomas Sebastian Holme

Dear Michael and Maureen,

In actual fact all four funnels fell, and descriptions of most have come down in survivors' accounts. Lightoller and the others working round collapsible B were splashed a safe distance from the ship by funnel 1. Funnel 2 narrowly missed Jack Thayer and Milton Long (see Michael Davie's book). Trimmer, Thomas Dillon described how funnel four fell towards the stern near him when the ship broke in halves.
Also, if you read the affidavit of Emily Ryerson she described how the two forward funnels toppled forward at the same time.
The forward funnel is the most discussed as a great deal of people in the vicinity survived.

Yours sincerely
Ben Holme

P.S I'm new here and I'm delighted there are so many others as mad about titanic as I am. I am sad enough to posess 20 titanic books and can give at least three facts about all first class passengers.

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Hi Ben:
I think we all pretty much know the funnels eventually canted over. But what I was looking for was a certain sequence as their is evidence that #1 may not have been the first. And possibly it was #2. I am still not sure- that is why I wanted to see some pro/con arguments.

B

Ben Thomas Sebastian Holme

Michael

As to the sequence, I mentioned that Emily Ryerson observed funnels 1 and 2 falling at the same time (see affidavit). As to #3 and #4 there is no substantial evidence, but one can assume that they fell either side when the ship broke apart..and later than #1 and #2 as there was no expansion joint to interfere with the stabilizing wires.
In all likelihood, #1 fell first as the forward expansion joint forcing apart caused the aft wires to snap. Col. Gracie examines the funnel phenomenon in some detail in his book "the truth about titanic" but it's reliability is questionable as he was under water the whole time!
But as Maureen said I am no expert.

Dec 2, 2000
Dear Ben,

Just for the record and the sake of clarity here, I said that I was no expert, I don;t know if you are or not.
happy.gif

Poor Michael (P) has had to deal with me for a while and knows that there is possibly as much if not more hot air coming from anything I say here as there was in any one or all four funnels combined.

But Michael (P) is a really great sport and has not keel hauled me yet, although he has mentioned the location of an axe in Shelley's basement once.

Enjoy your day.
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Maureen.

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Believe me Maureen:
It takes quite a bit for anyone to be put on my keel haul list. Except for some of the rude customers ( or ignorant and thoroughly unreasonable people )I have to deal with. Usually I ask that they be smote from the face of the planet.But then again, a store manager's job is never easy.
And never speak of the axe in Shell's basement. You don't want the authorities after her do you? It kind of plays like an episode of, " The Edge of Night ".
I was kind of hoping mechanical experts like Bill Sauder and Roy Mengot could answer my question. As they could tell us if it is in the realm of possibility that 2 went before 1.