One Thing worth mentioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

AL Glover

Jun 4, 2002
As a 1/2 newbie,(about 3 weeks here) and looking over all the different posts & subjects,and STILL looking reading,facinated by it all,& all the links.Would like to add MY OPINION,,,,
THE TITANIC SINKING in its time was probally as bad as the event of 9-11 in our time,but you have to think or maybe consider this,(remember the year was 1912,)
Capt Smith was drawing on all his experience at sea,(by changing to a more southerly course)-MAYBE thinking the icebergs would not come down that far south-GOING WIDE OPEN,-maybe hoping to out run the iceberg's if they did cross his path,as far as Ismay I think Ismay intimated,pushed & NEVER LET ANYONE in 1st class forget WHO HE WAS & HOW IMPORTANT he thought he was he was,"in his own mind"
#2, It was said,(I believe at the inquiry)& ISmay 'supposedly said to his dying day,"he did all he could", but maybe there was not anyone "AROUND HIM close by" when he climbed aboard the lifeboat,(My Opinion= I think maybe the "officers back or attention was distracted for a minute" when Ismay "saw his chance"
#3, As far as Mr. Andrews, maybe he was in shock that something like this could happen, but I also believe IF he had survived, he would have made & gave EXCELLANT ACCOUNT of what really happened & why .feedback welcomed it give everyone something to think about,,,,

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Al,

You make some excellent points. I believe Captain Smith was altering course to avoid ice on the Northern Route as it was known in the passenger trade, that being the route between Britain and New York with stops in Ireland and France. However I believe he did not alter his course sufficiently enough to completely avoid the upcoming ice fields. As for Ismay, I agree that he thought he was the most important person on board and was arrogant to show for it, I pin most of the blame for losing the ship on him as it was his idea to race full speed through the ice to try and make it to New York a day early, though that’s hard to prove because it was practice of the day to run full speed through ice. I also believe that Ismay was a coward when he boarded a lifeboat, though I think he just stepped in and the officer watched in shock and disbelief while Ismay was bathed with glares from the surviving women and crewmen. As for Mr. Andrews I think the death of his greatest creation was a shock to him, as evidenced by his lack of effort to save himself and how he was found gazing at the painting in the Smoking Room, and I also agree he would have been an excellent witness had he survived as he knew the ship better than anyone else and could have cleared up the long standing myth about what really happened as opposed to what was speculated to have happened when the iceberg hit.

Best Regards,

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.