Open portholes/Pumps

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Was thinking about when Lifeboat 13 lowers, and is pushed back by the Turbine Room discharge. If Lifeboat 13 could be pushed back by the discharge, what angle was the ship?

I messed around with a side profile plan with machinery noted, so I marked the Discharge in red, and this is the closest I think I can get
1623694206257.png

thoughts?

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
NewtonMearns, Glasgow, Scotland.
Was thinking about when Lifeboat 13 lowers, and is pushed back by the Turbine Room discharge. If Lifeboat 13 could be pushed back by the discharge, what angle was the ship?

I messed around with a side profile plan with machinery noted, so I marked the Discharge in red, and this is the closest I think I can get
View attachment 76997

thoughts?
Hi Cam.
If the plans are correct, there were no pump discharges from the Turbine Room. The nearest was at Frame 46.
The center of Boat 13 before launch was at Frame 63, The vertical distance between the center of the lifeboat and the water when on an even keel was about 65 feet. then by simple maths we can determine that Titanic was almost 38.5 degrees by the head when boat 13 hit the water.
for cam.jpg

Doubtless, if I'm wrong, the likely lads will point this out. ;)

Reactions: 1 users

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Hi Cam.
If the plans are correct, there were no pump discharges from the Turbine Room. The nearest was at Frame 46.
The center of Boat 13 before launch was at Frame 63, The vertical distance between the center of the lifeboat and the water when on an even keel was about 65 feet. then by simple maths we can determine that Titanic was almost 38.5 degrees by the head when boat 13 hit the water.
View attachment 77001
Doubtless, if I'm wrong, the likely lads will point this out. ;)
well Jim, you always seem to know what you talk about when you post, so I'll go with your judgement :)