Operation Valentines for Walter Lord

Apr 11, 2001
Who out there among us Boat People can remember the day when we first read A Night To Remember? It was July of 1974 for me- and I stayed up all night. Titanic then became a lifelong obsession due entirely to the completely captivating style of Walter Lord- I felt I was there on deck. Over the years since I have had the great pleasure of meeting him several times and exchanging correspondence. He has taken his celebrity in the Titanic World with a wry smile, infinite patience, and I believe a certain feeling of a job well-done. Currently I am finishing a webpage tribute to him and his MANY publications about historic events over decades. Walter is confined to his apartment now,as you all know,-not in good health which has deteriorated over time. He has been a collector of old valentines over the years. I am ashamed to say it has been awhile since I sent him one. I thought you might like to send him one too. I know he would smile! In the years when he was able to personally answer correspondence, he faithfully responded to all my silly questions with such charm and grace. If you would like to send Walter a valentine,and it need not be an antique one, (although I find beautiful 1903-1930's postcard types for $1-3 dollars which are so pretty) and to protect his privacy, please send your valentine to:
Operation Valentine
in care of Shelley Dziedzic
P.O. Box 86
North Stonington,CT. 06359

All valentines and cheerful messages will be delivered(unopened) to him in a big heart in time for Valentine's Day. Thanks Phil for making this possible!

Mar 15, 2001
Shelley that is a wonderful idea that you have thought of. I think of him often and wonder how he is doing all the time. One of my most prized posessions is my copy of A Night To Remember where Walter Lord writes "To Darren Honeycutt, who shares my interest in the Titanic". I had the opportunity to speak with Walter in 1995 and he is a very friendly individual. I will try and find some of the Valentine cards that you are talking about. I see them in antique shops all the time for the prices you mentioned. In fact, I like these old postcards myself and sent my sisters one with Thanksgiving Greetings during the Thanksgiving holiday. They loved it.

May 12, 2005
Shelley,

This is a fantastic idea. I have just the thing! A genuine 1912 Valentines card with a lovely hobble-skirted belle and her flower-bearing suitor! I would be only too glad to part with it if it means an opportunity to bring cheer and good wishes to this great man. We all owe Walter Lord a hell of a lot. What a great way to let him know he's not only remembered but much loved.

Thanks Shelley for thinking of the perfect way for his fans to show their admiration and affection.

Randy

May 8, 2001
I'm in. At least I have a chance to look for a special card for a special man. Though it wont be as nice as Randy's card, I will make a good show of it! Great suggestion Shelly. That is so nice that you have thought of a single way for us all to be able to show appreciation!
Colleen
P.S. Let us know when to have the cards to you by, so you can get them to Mr. Lord in time for Valentines.

A

Andrew Williams

Hi Shelley!

This is a beautiful gesture to a man who I greatly admire.

Unfortuantely I haven't had the luck or good fortune of obtaing anything to do with Valentines Day during that lucative era of the Edwardians. However, I might have amongst my possessions a duplicate postcard depicting one of the many fine and grand buildings in India, when my late grandfather was posted out there during the early part of the Twentieth Century.

My late grandfather (Edgar Gilbert Darke) was very friendly with the late Harold Phillimore who survived Titanic.

Thinking about it, they might even be a duplicate postcard in colour showing a tiny street in Malta?

Would this offering be acceptable?

Andrew W.

Apr 11, 2001
What a heartening response! Have had fun looking for vintage ones-ebay is FULL of them for 1-4 dollars. I need to send the box (special delivery)
by February 11th-if my knee is better I may hop on the train and deliver it myself!- only 2 hours away. Have always wanted to be a singing telegram.... It will be fun to get cards from all over-Walter has certainly spanned the globe travelling in his day. Andrew- your card sound charming. have found some"vintage"repros from Hallmark which look like the real thing too. It has been a LONG time since I went valentine hunting...sort of fun. I know he likes comic ones- I have a funny one of an Edwardian man down on one knee, ready to pop the question to an amused lady "will you be mine" from 1907. Here is an amusing Walter story-hope the link works!
http://www.timestream.com/info/people/biotay/gdaexp.html

May 8, 2001
Thanks Shelly for the leads. I hope you can make the trip in person. I think it would mean so much more. I'll spring for the flowers, chocolates, or little extra specials to make the day ummm.... "A day to remember".. (I hear the hisses and groans out there). My little kiddies are planning on making him a home made card. May not be his style, but they too would like to show their fondness for the man.
shy.gif

Colleen

Apr 11, 2001
A Childmark card- when you care enough to send the VERY best. Yes indeed, he will think that very special- a very tender-hearted man when it comes to young people- the peppier and scampier the better! I will do a little detective work on the chocolates and flowers angle-thanks for the kind offer. I wonder if he has ever realized truly how many admirers he has world-wide.

May 12, 2005
Shell,

Where are you girl? I thought you were going to let us know the deadline and other details for our Valentines Project for Walter?

And to everybody else stopping by here, let's not let this be a sleeper. Let's get behind Shelley on this. Its a great idea. Even some of you non-romantic types can manage a trip to an antique store or a surf on eBay for a card for Walter.

Let's make it a great big special package Shell takes to Walter on February 9!

Randy

Apr 11, 2001
Dearhearts and gentle people, mushy sentimentalists and Romantics-and I know that covers just about everybody here- here is the plan.I called today and spoke to Walter's day nurse (who has probably heard it ALL) and it seems early afternoon is the best time for him. So, will board the new Acela ( I just love a train since I saw "Murder on the Orient Express") in Westerly at 7:46 a.m. Saturday, February 9th and arrive in Penn Station at 10:50 clutching my precious parcel. Will trot over to Macy's, go see Ground Zero, have chicken noodle soup at that 43rd street deli, and then it should be just about time to find a cab-I REFUSE to go in that hole in the ground. (Wonder if one whistles or waves to catch a cab? Remember Claudette Colbert showing her knee to get a ride in "It Happened
One Night?)Have never been to his apartment so this is all very exciting. I have to THINK about what to WEAR- red I think.... I have a new red damask? What do you think? Too dressy? No heels in NYC-will have to wait for the elevator up-must be able to outrun the muggers! I will take photos from the train station through the day if I can wrangle the digital from my child. If not, there's always the scanner and Kodak moments! You know you will get more details than you ever wanted to know-I think it's a Southern thing- if brevity IS the soul of wit, I am in big trouble. So, I guess everything needs to be here in CT by Friday, Feb. 8th. Grace says he likes company- wonder if I should enter singing something? "My Funny Valentine"-JUST KIDDING! Dave, honey- your card is PRECIOUS!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Appropriate dress for NYC; Combat fatigues, kevlar vest, M16A2 rifle with full pouches of ammunition (Gotta whack the cockroaches with something), a 105mm howitzer for dealing with rats, a few nuclear weapons to slow down the muggers, and an M1A2 main battle tank to ensure survival in traffic.

JUST KIDDING!!!! (Or am I?)
crazy.gif

Seriously, I have not a clue where to find antique valentines or antique anything else short of my aching kneecaps. Would a friendly letter do just as well? Walter Lord was the one who started all of this by bringing Titanic's history to life in the modern age. I'd hate to miss an opportunity to just say thanks to the man.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

May 8, 2001
HELP!! Shelly. Does Walter Lord collect unaddressed post cards, or ones with the sentiments and post marks?????
Confused......
Colleen
p.s. Mike, awwe com'on, don't be party pooper.... think Hallmark!
wink.gif

May 12, 2005
Colleen,

Not to worry about "used" cards - the one I'm sending is addressed and stamped too. Shell suggests in the case of used cards to enclose it in an envelope with a private message to show who sent it.

And Michael,

I know even a confirmed old "techie" like you can go to an antique mall or shop online for an old card! They're easy to find. They don't have to have frilly ladies on them like mine will have; just something you think Walter would like to have in his collection.

And to ET's Silent He-Men Who Shall Remain Blessedly Nameless
happy.gif

If some of you old-fogey types out there are feeling a tad squeamish about sending another man a Valentines card, well get the heck over it - and quickly. Remember this isn't just anybody. This is somebody really special - who just happens to love collecting antique Valentines. So drop those macho hang-ups, guys, at least for this year and send in the sweetest, cutest, kissiest old cards you can find! Give your feminine side a free reign for once and let's razzle-dazzle it up!

Randy

Apr 11, 2001
I think the ones with messages can be the most exciting to collect. I have one with a message to "Meet under the clock in the usual place at 5"/signed L. SO Romantic- like "Brief Encounter"- (the stage play of this film is WONDERFUL by the way). Makes one wonder if L.'s love ever showed up-kind of a opening into a time portal. Ocean liner postcards have the same thrill for me. I have one about an escaped tiger on the Carmania's dock! Michael- I have CONFIDENCE in your finding a valentine!

Sep 20, 2000
And to ET's Silent He-Men Who Shall Remain Blessedly Nameless ...

Hey, I resent that, Randy -- I am not "silent!" ;^)

But seriously, Shelley, you are an incredible sweetheart! This is really a terrific idea -- I'd been wanting to do something similar for a while -- and a Valentine's "thank you" party for Walter is just the ticket!

Anyway, I will look for (and hopefully find) something appropriate to send along to you.

Cheers,
John

Sep 20, 2000
Who out there among us Boat People can remember the day when we first read A Night To Remember? It was July of 1974 for me- and I stayed up all night.

Hey, Shelley: Me too! It wasn't 1974, but I had the same reaction -- stayed up reading half the book in one night, and finished the rest the second. (He *is* the man, that Walter!)

Cheers,
John

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Hello, Shel! Sorry, I haven't been by of late. I DID in fact look for valentines this past weekend at an Antiques mall here in Houston. However, I didn't find any worth sending along (I did find one but it was in rather bad shape and had no date on it).

Rest assured I shall continue the search and, hopefully, will get one or more to you asap.

Your servant,
Cook

May 12, 2005
Cook & John,

You were indeed two of the macho sorts I had in mind. Hooray! Two have emerged from the dark shadows of nameless "he-man" shame! Now to work on that darn PG and GB and PH and GW, etc, etc!

Randy