Operation Valentines for Walter Lord

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2001
Randy. Since they haven't been around the board lately, I bet that PG GB PH and GW have been scoping the countryside, and will be the first cards Shelly gets in the mail with the biggest, mushiest, cutest, Victorian card seen.... We'll just never know.
proud.gif

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Hi Randy! Me? Macho? Yikes, have you seen my photo? I look like a Jack O'Lantern with grey hair.

Best regards, O M
Cook

Sep 20, 2000
Two have emerged from the dark shadows of nameless "he-man" shame!

Pssst! Don't spread it around, Randy, but I really always was sort of "an eighties kind of a guy", if you remember the phrase. (Maybe not quite up there with Alan Alda, but ...) ;^)

Cheers,
John

Dec 13, 1999
What Valentine's cards! Us REAL men in Dear Old Blighty don't bother with such fripperies. When I was a courtin' Mrs W. she told me "a lady likes to be wooed" So I told her she could be as wooed as she liked - as long as it wasn't about my nose!

Geoff (Just had to come in and mess up a perfectly good thread!)

Aug 29, 2000
No my cherub- but will I do? I have the perfect card for you -underneath that crust beats a heart of pure marshmallow I KNOW- and if you do NOT send a card I shall send a mushy one for you. This one has a dainty little couple-aged about 4- she giving him -in a bowler and cane and doctor's bag- a smooch. At the top is a pillbox 'If every pill within this box were changed into a kiss. I'd order that you take them all and never treatment miss.'Speaking of medication......here come the men in white suits and a net.

Sep 20, 2000
HAR! Shiver me timbers! We be masculine, manly men, maties! Hoist the jolly roger, 'cause we'll be a'castin' off fer rugged adventure -- Valentinin'! HAR!!

(Did someone mention medication?) :)

Aug 29, 2000
Cookie you are saved! Whilst munching a Moon Pie at the red light, what should my restless eye spy through the monsoon but a used book and ephemera store. Struggling to open the car door in the Force 10 gale, my tiny size tens plunged into a mudpuddle the size of Lake Erie. Dauntless I forged through the door, collapsed on the counter in a moist heap, crushing my tussiemussie of drenched lapel violets on a stack of First Editions.. and then yodelled in a sodden voice "Gimme all yer antique valentines- It's a matter of life and death!" After a pregnant pause the bespectacled booklady withdrew a cache from the dark nether parts of a dilapidated dresser and plunked them unceremoniously on the counter. I arched an eyebrow and announced "I must have them all-I am going to see The Lord on February 9th" she backed away and eyed me speculatively... after a moment I continued to qualify that this Lord was WALTER. A flood of relief suffused her face and she made me a handsome deal on the lot. I shall type up a description of the booty tomorrow for your perusal. They are priced 55 cents to two dollars and most are a scream and quite he-manly- 1904-1912 vintage. After pointing out Mrs. Candee's Tapestry Book -selling for $85 bux- and a novel by Elinor Glyn- I cozied up in confidential fashion and told her who THEY were in the great scheme of things. She was no end impressed naturally at these revelations -all learned on the ET Board- and probably raised the prices after I took my leave. 'Oh I am so happy!!"she gushed as I sidled toward the door-'to think these are going to HIM- etc. etc. So my shingle is out at Aphrodite's valentine Emporium.

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
My dear Shel,

It sounds like quite a fortuitous escapade, m'dear. However, I shall not shirk from my duties here and shall herewith continue in my search for said antique heart-cards. I should have something headed your way by week's end (Wasn't that a movie with Anthony Hopkins?), all things going according to plan.

To Randy, who wrote: "Absolutment Fabuleux!"

Isn't that that television show about Eddie and Patsy?

Warmest regards to you both,
Cookie

Mar 20, 2000
Cookster!

You hip-happenin'-dude you! Yes indeedie. I am crazy about those silly old hags! "Absolutment Fabuleux" is the French movie just released based on the Brit-com series! I still can't get over Cap'n Cook knowing about Pats & Eds.

Shelley, my fellow AbFab fan, will have to bake you a scrumptious cake or some other goody for being so damn cool!

Randy

Dec 13, 1999
Edina and Patsy are a British National Treasure, of course, Edina's Mother is played by one of the thespian Whitfields!

Aug 29, 2000
Oh Cookie is a man for all seasons! Bake a cake? Moi- No darling, I could break a fingernail!-if Saffie won't whip one up we shall simply pull the cork on a magnum of something bubbly!

Brian Meister

Mar 19, 1999
Although I find Ab Fab a tremendously unique
show, I have often thanked my lucky stars that
I was not their steward on the Titanic!:
"Surfaces darling, sweetie....surfaces!"
"Not the B....B....Vivienne Westwood, darling"
and of course, Patsy to Edina: "Eddie, can
I have the lifeboat"

Thank God for BBC America,

Brian

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Randy wrote: "I still can't get over Cap'n Cook knowing about Pats & Eds."

Oh, I can assure you I am a HUGE (make up your own joke) fan of Britcoms, starting back with "Dad's Army", which we used to get over here in the 70's. 'Absolutely Fabulous' show, that.

Sep 20, 2000
I shall type up a description of the booty tomorrow for your perusal. They are priced 55 cents to two dollars and most are a scream and quite he-manly- 1904-1912 vintage.

Shelley: I'm not sure if I follow you entirely, but if you're saying what I *think* you're saying -- although I could just be thinking you're saying it, while what you're actually saying might be something quite other than what I'm thinking :) -- is there any chance I could get in on this action?

I have to admit, I was going to be flying blind in search of anything resembling an actual antique valentine. But if the "Dziedzic Emporium" has a host of suitable offerings available -- that is what I *think* you're saying -- could I possibly invest in one of those fine Shell-entines? (If so, I'd just mail you an enclosure note and remuneration.) Does this work for you?

Cheers,
John

K

Kathy A. Miles

Hi, I remember too, being up all night reading ANTR. From that point on I was hooked, very deeply, never to return to the surface! I do woodburned crafts, and had this idea of taking a 1/4 inch thick, 6 inch heart shaped piece of wood, and burning the White Star Logo (maybe their later one as it's nice) on it and putting a message (also burned) on the back. Do you think that would be appropriate? IF not, I'll go for the card.
Great idea Shelley!
Kathy

Aug 29, 2000
Kathy- I'm jealous- yours will be the favorite one-what a great idea.
Feeney, Old Bean- you are in luck- have not had time to type up all the descriptions but I have several ones in mind that may fill the bill including a constable in 1906 uniform waving a billyclub at two sweeties spooning on a broken tree limb- come on over and we'll shop
[email protected]

K

Kathy A. Miles

Does anyone perchance remember which book that newer white star logo is in? I've looked through all my books, and can't find it, though I know I've got it in one of them. Oh the signs of growing old!
Thanks
Kathy

Status
Not open for further replies.