Operation Valentines for Walter Lord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2000
The first wave arrived in the PO Box this weekend- the postmistress looked quizzically at OPERATION VALENTINE on the enevlopes -but knows better than to ask! This is THE WEEK fellow lovebunnies- 5 days from the UK and 3 from most all the states- If you just want to mail a note, and cannot find one of those old valentine postals, I will select something for you and attach it. Am researching red roses and Godiva chocolates (although being alone on a train with chocolate is tempting fate). PO Box 86 North Stonington CT 06359 XXOO

Kate Bortner

May 17, 2001
Shell, you said you needed to receive the Valentines by the 8th, right?
I'll just be sneaking in under the wire!
-kate.

Kate Bortner

May 17, 2001
Yes I have. (you're talking to me, right?) I should have it to you in plenty of time, but I just like to have a safety net. Walter Lord AND chicken noodle soup all in one day?? Hell, I'm sending myself in an envelope. . . I wanna go!!!!!

Shelley you are so good to do this on behalf of all of us. Thank you.
-kate.

Aug 29, 2000
Darling Kate- I suspect some of the ET Lovebunnies would prefer to remain undercover so I shall not expose them as sweetiepies of the first degree publicly to thousands in cyberspace. However, I can tell you that they have come from both coasts, the midwest and deep South- and our fellers have outnumbered the lassies in old softiehood! Handmade, computer generated, vintage and store-bought-all much appreciated, as well as dear little notes some have tucked in for me....and NOW- LAST CALL FOR PROCRASTINATING would-be well-wishing old darlings- I have ransacked hill and dale for cards and have hauled home the mother- lode -so if you have been too busy or just plain forgetful -but would want to send a message -just email me- attach a word doc. if you want to send a letter to Walter, or just your name and city and state/country- and I will- with impeccable taste in selection of course- choose a vintage card for you and enclose your letter or signature in a dainty morsel of an envelope. please don't even worry about sordid old money- just send a few words to our hero. Am I getting excited- oh my dears- am still selecting the right ensemble for my big date- my senior prom got less consideration- DON'T ASK what year.
Kate- come and see me and we will prattle over a cup a tea. Operators are standing by for sweetiedarlings <A HREF="mailto:[email protected]">everywhere
[email protected]</A>

K

Kathy A. Miles

Shelley, could you let me know when you get my box, as I've worried over it getting there in time. I hope the valentine looks ok.
Thanks for you dedication!
Kathy

Sep 20, 2000
Hi, Shell. Glad to hear those returns are pouring in! Considering that it's all for Walter, couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

(We *really* need a heart graphic out here, Phil.) ;^)

Cheers,
John

D

Deleted member 173198

Shelley!

This afternoon I received the latest news from our local Video Store which has already come too late for my cause. Need I say, that yours truly just before Christmas was the one who put out of action the only photocopier in Village, and too some extent, I felt like a Village idiot by broadcasting that knowledge.

No doubt.......Behe, Whitfield and Cook are going to have a field day with me?

However, the arrival of this spare part has at least solved a problem because I have every good intention to make this Valentines package very special for Mr Lord, by including some photocopy material describing the private life's of Fleet and Phillimore who had to serve their Country King and Empire during the First World War.

Nevertheless, the whole situation is now in jeopardy as the Postal Service in Britain is now threating to go on strike. It could not have happened at a more inconvenient time than now.

It is therefore regrettable that I now have to advise Shelley that my package is unable to meet your deadline by the 8th February. I will of course do my utmost to get this little gift of goodies out to your home address some time next week, with the anticipation that I can beat the date set for the strike. (Fingers-crossed!)

I pray you can understand at my annoyance over these matters mentioned as above.

Best Wishes

Andrew W.

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Ah, Andrew, you will receive no jibes from my pen (make that smoke-stained keyboard). I got sidetracked by several events here at home and by the time I was able to get to the few Antique shops I know of they were all sold out of the heart cards. One guy, seeing me go through his cards, said, "I hope you're not looking for Valentines - we sold out of those the very day we set up our display!"

I forlornly sent along my pathetic apologies to the beautious Shelly and begged her forgiveness.

Head hung in Houston,
Cook

D

Deleted member 173198

Hi Unka' Buster!

I know the feeling very well. My head is hanging low at the moment as I feel so let down by this incident over the spare part, which took much longer than I was originally promised.

Still its happened and there's nothing I can do about it!

P.S Unka' Buster, can't wait to meet you and your lovely wife Rose Ann at this years Convention (Southampton).

Take care-Andrew W.

Kate Bortner

May 17, 2001
Andrew, Cookie, you're breaking my heart!!! Surely there's something to be done. Doesn't miss Shell have extras?? I have 3 extra I'd be happy to fedex for you if you'd like?? How about e-note sent to Shelley that she can pass on. Okay, I know I'm codependent, but I hate to see missed opportunity.
-kate.

Aug 29, 2000
Sweethearts everywhere- You are missing the boat my little darlings- yes I have a zillion extra antique valentines bought with procrastinating Boat People or Antique-challenged and well-meaning sugardumplings in mind. Either email me or if you want a long letter, attach it as a word doc. I shall select, with peerless good taste that you KNOW I possess in quantities, a card from my vast reservoir of missives. Here I have hired all these attractive young men to stand by for the deluge of fan mail and requests at my computer up in the Boat Room tonight
happy.gif
Be a shame to just send 'em home with milk and rice krispie treats... and my Good and Noble Brits- not a SINGLE card from Old Blighty-you've let down the side Old Beans- hop to it! Carry On!

D

Deleted member 173198

Shelley!

Please keep an eye out for my private e-mail I have sent this evening.

Good night from Britain.

Best wishes

Andrew W.

Aug 29, 2000
Kate, Kathy and Andrew-messages received,cards arrived in time,andI MUST say that the woodburned heart is SPECTACULAR with the ship sailing out 3/4 broadside and the White Star burgee- how did you get the color in the wood like that.Bought my ticket-smiled when I saw the train station was built in-yes - 1912.

K

Kathy A. Miles

Hi Shelley, now I may quit worrying about it getting there! I used a paint wash to get the red on the flag and buff on the funnels. I use a transparent wash so that it does not cover up the burning and I use it sparingly. I've been woodburning for quite a while. Currently I'm working on a couple large titanics which I hope to put on ebay. I've always wanted to send Walter a letter or something, though I'd had no idea where to send it, and I wanted to do something more than just a simple letter. I'ts funny how much you can come to think of someone you've never even met! Walter has given so much to Titanic research and I feel like I owe him so much. Anyway, thanks Shelley for providing this oppurtunity!
Kathy

Aug 29, 2000
It is Sunday morning here-10 a.m.-there was an accident on the train line near Newark coming home last night-delay of 5 hours- so did not get to bed till 4 a.m.But I want to thank all here who made the effort to contribute to this endeavor-it was much appeciated by all involved. I plan to write up a very detailed description of all I saw and did- and will be glad to mail it to anyone interested- it would be too long to post in this forum. I visited PIER 54- the CUNARD WHITE STAR sign is quite rusty but intact-the area is cleaned up- and a large sign indicates plans for some site enhancement to preserve the character of the location.I took many photos of the day which will take some time to put up on the website.What you are all waiting for I am sure,is news of Walter. I would have you know he is comfortable and cared for,in a beautiful apartment on the EASTSIDE- with devoted nurses Beryl,Grace,& Angela- his secretary Louise who comes on Tuesdays and Thursdays- and has a hospital bed in the sunny window of his library.Facing him is a top to bottom bookcase wall of his life's writings- all the publications of his many works-it is a tribute to his career and life's achievments.Titanica is everywhere- on a small dresser is a b/w photo of him and his mother aboard Olympic. He is in a frail and fragile state of health but still enjoys his television news, visits from friends,and letters. I stayed about 30 minutes,one sits near the bed -his voice is very soft.KATHY-your woodburned heart was well-received and will join an exclusive little gallery of loving tributes in his livingroom where the famous pig and other memorabilia is prominently displayed.The pig is still in fine form-a bit worn on the posterior end from years of winding the tail.So many prints,models and other bits of Titanic art cover 3 rooms- reverse paintings on glass,line sketches,newspapers,-3Dmodels sinking,a picture of Edith RUSSELL and the pig- her slippers from Titanic.I did my best to photograph all of this and will post it as soon as possible- even his TEA-TANIC teapot.I am sure you will undertand that there will be no photos of him- one would always wish to be at one's best for one's public. I will post a wonderful oil of him as a young boy-gazing from the gold frame full of promise, looking into what will be a remarkable future of success and acclaim. His nurse hopes he will again be able to see the park this Spring- in his wheelchair-so does he. He is as gracious and modest as ever- thick silver hair neatly parted and combed to one side- knowing how dearly he is loved and admired.His magnificent collection is destined for a museum in England-he is destined for a place in the literary world and our hearts forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.