Operation Valentines for Walter Lord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2002
Thank you Shelley...your gift for words has worked it's wonders once more! I truly felt like I was standing there with you! Your detailed descriptons are outstanding. What a wonderful day it must have been! May I be the first to say how fetching you looked? I did love the hat! Walter may have been the reason, but you, my Dear, are what made it special!

We "boat people" thank you...even those of us who missed it! LoL
grin.gif

Stephanie

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Shelley:
Thanks for taking us with you on your visit into the private life of Walter Lord. What a wonderful tribute to him you have created. Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

Aug 29, 2000
Oh dear friends- I have just begun! There are 4 pages in all- we'll see Edith Russell's pig and slippers- and other things. We will go to Pier 54 and Ground Zero. We will be together all weekend-I am just so choosy about getting it all right it takes me a lot of time to put it all together. Thank you for the encouragement to continue! Stay tuned.

Dec 31, 2000
Shelley,

Your tribute and website, the story of your relationship with Walter Lord and about his life has truely been a touching experience.

Thank you so very much for sharing such a personal time with us. Words can not do justice as to how you so eloquently painted us a picture to carry in our hearts and memories, always to cherish.

Many Blessings,

Beverly

Mar 20, 2000
My dear Shelley,

I must thank you "officially" for sharing with everyone your tribute to Walter Lord; it is so poignant.

You brought much happiness to poor Walter and now you have moved each of us with your loving words. I am so glad I had the opportunity to participate in your special project.

I hope everyone will keep Walter in their thoughts and prayers. Parkinsons disease is a cruel illness and seems to attack some of the brightest people. My own family is stricken with the illness and so it was with much emotion that I have read Shelley's pages honoring Walter. We must always remember those among us who need comforting.

It does not always require money or presents to be of help. It requires only a heart full of love. Shelley has this quality in abundance, as those of us privileged to know her are well aware of. Shell gives so much of herself to help others. I know she will say that this is not the point; that her love for a dear friend was the object of her Valentines Project. And that is certainly so. But one woman with an oversized heart made it possible by bringing all the right elements together with such class and genuine feeling, that her visit was indeed A Day to Remember - for Walter and for all of us who got to share our affection with him on February 9, 2002.

Thank you Shelley and to everyone who took part in Operation Valentines.

May God bless you all,

Randy

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Hallo Randy - Good to see you here again, m'dear
happy.gif

Wholeheartedly echoing all your sentiments as expressed above - both the appreciation for the gorgeous and gracious Shelley and her beautiful idea, and your highlighting of this debilitating disease.

~ Ing

Aug 29, 2000
I thought this thread had ended, but today's mail brought a postscript by way of a letter from Walter to those who did not put an address on their valentines a few weeks ago-(via his private secretary)Feb 21, 2002 Manhattan
Dear TITANIC Friends:
What a delightful and beautiful thing to do! You made Walter happy by your visit and the wonderful letters, greetings, and Valentine postcards from the past. The lovely flowered treasure chest containing them, together with chocolate kisses and shiny hearts topped it off! This and the handsome wood heart carving are now on display. We will always remember you. Thank you ALL for being so thoughtful. Sincerely, Lillian Pacifico, Secretary to Walter Lord. This was on the old familiar cream paper with his bright red name and address at the top just as ever.
To those who apparently enclosed an address, you will hear individually, Enclosed in my envelope were letters for the others who did not -and YES I shall name names- Bev Crowder, Kate Bortner, Randy Bigham, Pat Cook, John Feeney, Kathy Miles, Eric Sauder, and Andrew Williams- sweetiedarlings EVERY one! Walter's birthday is in October- start planning! If you have JUST tuned in to all this tub of love for our favorite Titanic author- a description of the project is still playing over at
http://www.revdma2.com/walter.html

Kate Bortner

May 17, 2001
I am so happy he enjoyed the Valentines. Mine was from Valentines Day 1912 and I was really happy to be able to be a part of his day, . . . But Shelley, did you get the Valentine I sent YOU? It couldn't exactally be called racey, but it certainly isn't something I wanted Mr. Lord to get amongst the beautiful, romantic Valentines.
I repeat, you are a goddess.
thumbup.gif

-kate.

Aug 29, 2000
Kate- fear not- I received your singular valentine!- and as Queen Victoria once said, "We were amused". Thank you. p.s. I take your point and agree!

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Shelley:
What a classy man Mr. Lord is. My wife, who is even less Titanically inclined than Captain WMBO, picked me up at the airport tonight, and the first thing she said was "You got a letter from Walter Lord." I didn't even think she knew who he was. Thanks for letting us share in your Valentine treat.

Love your new profile photo, by the by, dahling.

Aug 29, 2000
Oh- am so glad! Yes I knew they were coming- he really was very touched by it all. Am planning to go down in June for a little visit . Perhaps our spouses should form a society for the Funnel Impaired?

Status
Not open for further replies.