Opinion Piece Who embodies Bravery

Jul 9, 2002
Just a random question. Who, in YOUR opinion, personafies bravery in the face of the Titanic disater? In my opinion, Benjamin Guggenheim is the man. I know, I know, he was on board with a woman other than his wife, in the midst of an illicit affair. But Im not talking about the man's personal life. When he changed into evening clothes and sat in a chair, willing to face his mortality, knowing that he was on the way to Judgement for his personal actions...that folks, is Brave. On SEVERAL levels. Just looking for ya'll's thoughts.

Mar 28, 2002
1. Edith Evans - gave up her place in the lifeboat for a friend. A noble woman.
2. Stella Sage - gave up her place in the lifeboat because her family could not follow. Her love for her family was too strong to leave them.
3. Rosa Abbott (Dudley-born!) - having the will to fight for her life in the water knowing her two sons were already dead. She had the strength to carry on and survive.

Cheers,

Boz

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Isidor Strauss who refused to get into a boat even when he was offered a place.
Thomas Andrews who defied Smith's orders to get into a boat so that he could answer at the Inquiry. (BTW, if he had escaped, he would probably been branded a coward like Ismay, though)

B

Brian R Peterson

Not likely, Ismay was branded a coward because he escaped - as Managing Director he should have gone down with his ship as had Smith and Andrews, other men who were allowed to enter the boats were not branded such.

Best Regards,

Brian

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I'll nominate two.

Chief Electrician, Peter Sloan, who stuck to his job to the end. He seems to have been forgotten but there would have been hell's delight without him.

Possibly the bravest man ever to board Titanic was not there at the end. He was Francis Browne, who later was awarded a Military Cross and Bar for his deeds under fire in WW I.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
>>Not likely, Ismay was branded a coward because he escaped - as Managing Director he should have gone down with his ship as had Smith and Andrews, other men who were allowed to enter the boats were not branded such.<<

So if Andrews had escaped in one of the lifeboats, would he be branded a coward? Most probably.

Brian Meister

Mar 1, 2001
Hello All,

I would cast a vote for Lucy Lennard Snape
who saw her 2nd Class passengers into the
boats but refused to leave.
Or Samuel Hemming who quietly resurfaced
next to Lightoller at the collapsible boats
when he had been ordered away in Boat 6.
"Why haven't you gone, Hemming?"
"Plenty of time yet, sir"

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Engineer Herbert Gifford Harvey should certainly get a vote. According to Fireman Barrett, who purportedly witnessed the event; when the bulkhead between boiler rooms 5 and 6 collapsed, Harvey rushed to the aid of fellow engineer Jonathan Shepherd who had injured his leg, scorning thr safety of the escape ladder. Both enginners wer overwhelmed seconds later.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Courage manifests itself in many forms, and I've always been loathe to single out any one person for special commendation or honour above others. There are many instances of heroism and extraordinary courage that we will probably never know about - among the actions undertaken by the engineers, for example. Among the steerage passengers, seeking a way out. Unwitnessed and unsung, I have little doubt that deeds of extraordinary courage took place.

I often use James Moody's case as an illustrative example of a particular type of dedication to duty. It is no longer strictly fashionable - particularly not among revisionists who seek heroism of a different breed - but his quiet, steadfast devotion to duty and personal sacrifice have always struck a resonant chord. It wasn't a particularly ostentatious display of heroics, but when his story is pieced together it is deeply moving. His is only one story, however - one example.