Oral hygiene in 1912

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
How did people clean their mouths and teeth in those days? Did they brush their teeth regularly? As someone who does not have a single filling at 60 years of age, I often wonder about bad breath etc of those times.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I know a lot of people who are over 60 and have no fillings. But it must be said that they don't have any teeth either!

Reactions: 1 user

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I know a lot of people who are over 60 and have no fillings. But it must be said that they don't have any teeth either!
I assure you that I have ALL my teeth and in excellent condition! And before you say it, they are all in my mouth and not in a tin box in the cupboard. :D

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
My teeth are my own and I can prove it - I have the receipts!

On a serious note, Arun, check out the threads in the 'Health, Medicine and Hygiene' section of the 'Gilded Age' area of the forum. I think you'll find lots there to interest you.

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
Arun, check out the threads in the 'Health, Medicine and Hygiene' section of the 'Gilded Age' area of the forum. I think you'll find lots there to interest you.
I'll check them out by I have a feeling some of them will scare me.

J

Jack Dawson

Hi, late to the party, but commercially prepared toothpaste was a relatively new thing, but toothpowder was pretty common and probably the cheapest and therefore more common products. One of the American brands that comes to mind, for myself anyway, is "Dr. Lyon's Toothpowder". I think it was pretty much just a powder, was mixed with some water, and then applied to the brush, or something like that. Brushes tended to be bone or cellulose handled, with natural bristles.