Order of installation of Titanic’s funnels: Which one was second?

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
There is photo evidence that Titanic’s funnel #2 was installed first. There is also photo evidence that funnel #4 was installed last. Does anybody know of any Titanic photo with only two funnels installed? Without that evidence, it appears that the order of installation could either have been 2,1,3,4 or 2,3,1,4. If anybody knows of some information about the installation of the funnel directly after funnel #2, the mystery will be solved.

Reactions: 1 users

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
I know of the photo of funnels #1, #2, and #3 installed. That still doesn’t tell us whether #1 or #3 was installed next after #2.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
I think it was in one of the Belfast newspapers which mentioned No. 1 funnel to have been installed when Olympic left after the repairs from the Hawke accident.
Funnel No. 3 was installed by December.

I remember discussing that matter with Daniel Klistorner during the writing of the book Titanic in Photographs but can not rightly remember the source.

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
I contacted Ralph Currell about this and he observed that in the fitting out photo of Titanic with the first three funnels installed that only funnels #1 and #2 have their steam escape pipes and whistles installed. #3 funnel does not. For me that is pretty strong evidence that funnel #1 preceded funnel #3 in installation so the order would have been 2,1,3,4.
Funnel order.jpg

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Moderator's note: A bunch of messages, consisting of unwarranted personal criticism and responses, have been removed from this thread.

Reactions: 2 users