Oreos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Lemmon

Feb 6, 2008
I recently looked at information about the origin of Oreo cookies. I realized that they had been around about two months before the Titanic sank. This is pure speculation, but do you think that Oreo's were on board the Titanic as she foundered? Any thoughts on the subject?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I'm not aware of a listing so detailed that it mentions exactly what was carried aboard down to the last brand name but if http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oreo is any indication, I doubt it took long to get this onto some of the liners. The cookie was aimed pricipally at the British market. The thing is, it wasn't introduced until February of 1912, so I doubt it made it onto the Titanic.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Ben...make it Hydrox, if you must have a creme filled cookie interlude. Hydrox was the original, Oreo the imitator. As I recall, it having been four presidential administrations since I've consumed either, the filling in a Hydrox was slightly moister than that of an Oreo and left just the merest suggestion of a film of lard inside your mouth when you ate it. (If anything says 'creme' rather than 'cream' be wary....you can't describe something as cream filled unless it contains dairy. 'Creme' is a nickname for anything from sugared whipped lard to substances too vile to contemplate) As I recall, the Hydrox advert campaign of my youth utilized a big, white, animated, humanoid blob of creme filling called the "Drox" to which children were supposed to say "Hi." "Hi Drox." Get it? Somehow, an ambulatory talking glob of whipped lard just lacked the....endearing....quality needed to make a corporate mascot catch on, yet the commercial haunts nevertheless.... but, I digress.

Keep in mind, 'though, that your cookie eating interlude can only be done in specific settings. Consuming food in public~ as in on deck or in a room other than the dining intended rooms~ was considered uncouth, and parents or guardians in 1912 were not in the habit of ruining everyone else's experience by packing snack bags to placate their brats between meals. There is nothing like being forced to sit, on a train or plane, next to yet another unfortunate child (who SHOULD be wearing a "Morbidly Obese 18 Year Old In Training" t-shirt) whilst its parent attempts to keep it quiet by feeding it Doritos and Coke....the smell of Doritos alone, not to mention the lingering Dorito breath is a foretaste of hell....but, again, I digress... You now must research Hydrox/Oreo logic, to explain how they ended up aboard the ship in a 1912-friendly manner....

May 27, 2007
There is nothing like being forced to sit, on a train or plane, next to yet another unfortunate child (who SHOULD be wearing a "Morbidly Obese 18 Year Old In Training" t-shirt) whilst its parent attempts to keep it quiet by feeding it Doritos and Coke.

Guilty! You just wait Mr Jim, til your a parent of a hungry child. I usually give my daughter a banana or granola bar. None of that crap you describe.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>(who SHOULD be wearing a "Morbidly Obese 18 Year Old In Training" t-shirt)<<

Pfffffffftttttttttttt....thanks for that image.
rofl.gif
(Reaches for towel to blot coffee I just spewed all over the monitor when I broke out laughing.)

And has anybody read the ingrediants lables for some of these confections today? I don't have a Ph.D. in chemistry so I have a hard time following it, but it looks like the sugar base went from lard to "You don't know, and you don't want to know!"

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>You just wait Mr Jim, til you're a parent of a hungry child.

I would use the same effective phrase my parents used, and their parents before them:

"Sit still and be quiet. You will eat when you get home."

If delivered with "The Look," designed to cut off further discussion, it is a most effective child rearing tool. Because, in the astronomically unlikely event I'd ever have a child, I'd be terrified that my kid would grow up be the sort of slob who guiltlessly eats a Big Mac on a subway car, permeating everyone with that sickly reek. Or the sort of sloven who eats a tuna garlic sandwich on an airplane. The early lesson that not all wishes can- or should- be immediately granted, or all physical desires immediately catered to, is an important one.

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
As I recall, it having been four presidential administrations since I've consumed either,...
Good for you! It's been about 2 presidential administrations for myself since an Oreo last passed my lips......

>>(who SHOULD be wearing a "Morbidly Obese 18 Year Old In Training" t-shirt)<<

Pfffffffftttttttttttt....thanks for that image. (Reaches for towel to blot coffee I just spewed all over the monitor when I broke out laughing.)
You are not alone Mike! I did likewise!
happy.gif

And has anybody read the ingrediants lables for some of these confections today?...... it looks like the sugar base went from lard to "You don't know, and you don't want to know!"
Partially Hydrogenated oil. Nasty stuff. This ingredient was replaced in Oreos with "High Oleic Canola and/or Palm Oil and/or Canola Oil" starting in 2006.

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
I would use the same effective phrase my parents used, and their parents before them
And work, it sure did! At least for me and my siblings.

I can recall only one "eating snacks in public" occasion:

My brother was being soooo ornery in church that he snatched a banana out of my mother's diaper (nappy) bag, walked right out into the main aisle of the church with it (during a service), and began to eat it whilst my mother was taking care of my youngest sister. The priest, who was giving a sermon at that time, stopped, stared at my brother, and GLARED at my mother with a look of death until she grabbed my bro back and took the banana from him. She later apologized to the priest because she NEVER allowed us to just eat like that in public. My brother was being sneaky. We kept some snacks in the car or diaper bag for the drive home AFTER church since we lived out in the country, it was a long drive home, and when church ended, it was lunchtime. Ah memories!

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
My parents lived in perpetual, 24/7, fear that I'd end up irreversibly "fresh" by the time I was 4. So, the phrase "That was a very impolite thing to say/question to ask~ now, apologize" was delivered, by rote, at least 90 times a day 1968-1971.

>We kept some snacks in the car or diaper bag for the drive home AFTER church since we lived out in the country,

My lone excursion into public eating....I would accompany my dad to the German Bakery on Katonah Avenue in the Bronx. I'd speak to the woman there in "3 year old" German, and then be allowed to eat a sugar cookie as we walked to the car. Initially a pink 1958 Cadillac; later a blue Plymouth Valiant. My parents were far more lenient with this weekly excursion into public eating than I'd EVER be with my own kids, but it was 1969 and overly permissive parenting was all the rage.

There were two times we violated the no public eating rule. I've told the story many times on ET about German great grandmother and the hot thermos of lentil soup we HAD to eat, regardless of how scaldingly warm it was in the unairconditioned car, because any woman who did not feed her children every day at noon was doomed to eternal hell even if she missed but a single feeding over an 80 year lifespan.....the other, single, event was a trip to the Jersey Shore in my aunt's 1968 Buick Riviera with white leather interior. For reasons long forgotten, someone thought that it would be a GOOD idea to give us kids one of those giant bags of inch-long mini-chocolate bars. Midsummer. Soon, the rear half of the car was awash in melting/melted Nestles products~ some of which never made it out of the wrappers. And then...out came the thermos of lentil soup....

"The Look" was a great parenting tool. If we were in a restaurant and other kids were running all over the place, "The Look" beautifully telegraphed "Don't even THINK about it."

Fact is, through endless repetition, "The Look" becomes more effective than yelling. It's simple: A SLIGHT raise of the eyebrows, with direct eye contact. A slight nod of the head and, if you want to get REALLY scary, the tight mirthless smile that translates into "This will be discussed further at home."

It is also an effective tool if you pursue retail management as a careeer.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>Partially Hydrogenated oil..... This ingredient was replaced in Oreos with "High Oleic Canola and/or Palm Oil and/or Canola Oil" starting in 2006

So, they've substituted sugared reduced-fat Crisco for plain old sugared Crisco? Yum.

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
Coming soon, to a grocery near you: Hydrox return!

the filling in a Hydrox was slightly moister than that of an Oreo and left just the merest suggestion of a film of lard inside your mouth when you ate it.

A not inaccurate description, but oddly enough, Jim, Hydrox cookies were lard-free, according to this history.

May 27, 2007
If delivered with "The Look," designed to cut off further discussion, it is a most effective child rearing tool.

The look? Shoot!, I give my kid the look and she A. throws something at me
B. gives the look back
C. bursts into tears. Of course my lil' spitfire is only 2. She'll be 3 in August, maybe the look will work then, maybe not.
sad.gif

Soon, the rear half of the car was awash in melting/melted Nestles products~ some of which never made it out of the wrappers. And then...out came the thermos of lentil soup....

The only thing my daughter's messy with is yogurt although she has been known to drop a banana or two.
happy.gif
I don't let her have chocolate unless we're at Womack's visiting with Madge. We share Reese's Peanut butter Cups.

I don't like Oreos for some odd reason. My brother loved em though.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>but oddly enough, Jim, Hydrox cookies were lard-free

Ohhh...that's a scary thought. Oreo, as I recall, was slightly gritty. Hydrox had that marginally moister quality that left the inside of one's mouth filmed. Here we get into that eeriest of subtopics- 1970s food additives - and with lard eliminated, the question "Then what WAS it that remained in trace quantities on your tongue after eating Hydrox?" raises its sinister head.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>The look? Shoot!, I give my kid the look and she A. throws something at me

Momentary silence. Child is told, in cold, prison guard terms, 'pick that up.' If order is not obeyed, child is separated from congenial surroundings, lectured in cold tones, and denied a privilege.

B. gives the look back

Momentary silence. Child is asked, in cold, prison guard terms, 'Do you think that is funny?' If proper amount of shame is not forthcoming, child is separated from congenial surroundings, lectured in cold tones, and denied a privilege.

C. bursts into tears.

Skip the momentary silence, and proceed from there. You must NOT reward this kid trick, the intent of which is to make YOU look like the bad person for trying to enforce discipline. You must ALSO become adept at ignoring other adults who go 'aww' and offer sympathy to a child who is reacting manipulatively to being chastised.

May 27, 2007
Usually Jim I give the old tired and true swat on the hinny for all three tactics but my daughter has generations of stubborn Swedes and Scot's-Irish in her blood. She's a pistol.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>"Then what WAS it that remained in trace quantities on your tongue after eating Hydrox?" raises its sinister head.<<

Which is why I don't touch some of this stuff anymore even though I'm partial to it. If I'm going to be embalmed, I'd rather it take place after I'm decently deceased.

The need to take off some weight after finding out my cholesterol and trigycerides were double anything that might be confused for safe and sane gave me an incentive as well. Cutting a lot of junk out of my diet has helped me go from 212 pounds to 165 in four months. A reduction for which my Navy trashed kneecaps are breathing a sigh of relief.

Not that I mind some tasty junk from time to time...sometimes, you feel the need to indulge...but not everyday.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
The look? Shoot!, I give my kid the look and she A. throws something at me
B. gives the look back
C. bursts into tears

When I tried that, "A" & "B" were greeted with the hand accross the cheeks or on the buttocks.
"C" sometimes was rewarded with a glass of water poured on you, which had the effect of ending that situation "once and for all".

I, too, cannot recall when I last had an OREO or a HYDROX; for that matter I cannot recall the last time I ate a VIENNA FINGER or a CAMEO.

Like Mike, I need to keep the weight off; just got my cholesterol down; would like to reduce it further, thank you (weight loss does help this).

Yes, this means keep away from the cookies, as much as possible, when on the QE2, next month.
grin.gif

Ben Lemmon

Feb 6, 2008
I say with happiness and dismay that I do not nor have not had to deal with the "terrible two's," save it be with my cousin's daughter (she can be a handful). I would like to try my hand at parenting, but I am afraid I would be a pushover (hence the happiness and dismay). However, my parents raised me amiably, so I don't think I would have to worry about that.

The look? Shoot!, I give my kid the look and she
A. throws something at me
B. gives the look back
C. bursts into tears
My advice would be to use it sparingly. I'm no expert, but if you use "the look" when you are fiercely angry with your child, she'll know she's really in trouble, instead of just passing it off as an everyday occurrence. I say this merely from experience. My father gave us "the look" on a regular basis growing up, and we now pass it off as an annoyance. However, when my mother gave us "the look" (which she rarely did), you knew you were in deep trouble (and I mean DEEP). This is all a matter of perspective though.

Jim, just so you know, I was merely speculating about the OREOs and the Titanic. I wasn't planning on using it in my story. Just thought it would make an interesting conversation piece, and it did, though I would never have thought it would get into discussion about parenting skills and cholesterol. That I didn't see coming.
grin.gif

Also, Jim, what would you think about eating in the car on a road trip? Again, just thinking out loud.

May 27, 2007
My advice would be to use it sparingly.

Alas try using it sparingly with a 2 year old. The 2's aren't called terrible for nothing. Although I don't use the Look every day I do use it often. I guess it's the strict no monkey business German in me.

Status
Not open for further replies.