Oreos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2000
Sorry, Jason....

Actually, I don't think I recall any tantrums in the supermarket, so I must have done something right. I used to give them stuff to eat on the way round - bread or apples, I think, but never sweets or sugary drinks. It is, after all, a fairly boring expedition for children, but nobody in their right mind wants children to 'help' choosing the food, surely? I remember check-out staff wanting to know if the devoured food was being paid for - it was. My children eat proper fish - which is good.

May 27, 2007
Christmas 1968, and I am for some reason obsessed with fire hydrants.

I got into anything electronic. Hence I got the old vacuum cleaner to tinker with in the shed. My Brother was into trains. So he got a model that was pretty nice for a 3 year old. I also got a record player which I took a part. So my Dad put it back together. That was one time I remember my parents disagreeing. My mom wanted to pitch it to teach me not to do that. My dad had dreams of me being a electrician so he fixed it. He pampers my daughter too. Her older brother is real bad with spoiling her. But it's nice their close and he real good with her so I let him.

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
Sorry, Jason....
For what? Now I'm sorry ~ 'cause I'm confused.
happy.gif

Actually, I don't think I recall any tantrums in the supermarket, so I must have done something right
Right on!
happy.gif

It always amazes me to see older children -children who should know better- who are given such soft treatment by their parents that the kids can basically get away with anything.

And this goes for teens too. I know one couple who now have a 16 year-old. They recently gave him a very nice new car so that he could drive himself around the small town where they live. The car wasn't necessary for him, it was just an indulgence. Within 2 weeks, the car was wrecked. Why? 'Cause the stupid kid had deliberately taken it out to a gravel pit to perform "doughnuts", and had smashed the front end of it into a concrete wall. It would cost upwards of $4,000 to fix it.

And what did these parents do?......... Well, at first, they were mad and told him that if he wanted the car fixed, he'd have to get an after-school job and earn the money himself to have it fixed. A reasonable solution, right? Well, after a VERY short period of time, as the couple were personally telling me this story about their child, the mother said, "Oh well, I'll probably just give in and pay for it myself anyway." To which her husband replied, "Yeah, you probably will." They both shrugged, and THEN, to my amazement, started talking in earnest about how to get this kid's car fixed themselves.

I might stress here that it was not imperative for this 16 year-old kid to have a car at this time. It was an indulgence and a privilege which he didn't apparently appreciate. My own parents were present when this story was being told, and were absolutely shocked at the behavior of these parents. I know that my parents would never have done such a thing (fixed the car after I wrecked it like that). But then, I never would have taken a new car out to gavel pit like that in the first place........ I knew better. It would not have been acceptable.

Hence I got the old vacuum cleaner to tinker with in the shed.
Me too! Although I tinkered with it on the living-room floor.......

It was 'all good' though. By the time I had re-assembled the thing, it often ran better than it had before ~ as I'm sure yours did too, George.
wink.gif

May 27, 2007
It was 'all good' though. By the time I had re-assembled the thing, it often ran better than it had before ~ as I'm sure yours did too, George.

Sure! It ran like a beaut after my inexperienced 2 year old hands were done with it. Shoot Jeff was 3 but I did most of the work. After a while he went and piddled with his train.

Jun 11, 2000
"Sorry, Jason..."

Don't worry, I just thought - for some reason - that I'd misunderstood you.

Re car episodes, my youngest wants my car to take to Europe on the grounds that it looks more cool than his (which is also mine of course in reality) and might attract more women. How I laughed. No chance. He's not so bothered about his own prospects, but his friend's. These daft children ..... he's just lucky to have any wheels to go to Europe in. I had to hitch in my day, and it caused some severe difficulties!

Status
Not open for further replies.