Original design concepts

M

Matthew O'Brien

Hey everyone,

I feel like I've been so full of questions lately, but here is another one. I remember reading, I think in Titanic: an Illustrated History, that the interior designs, at least for the public rooms, were originally quite different. I read that the First Class Dining Saloon was originally envisioned three decks high and caped with a dome. Also, I think that the staircase was origianlly less elaborate and the was one giant athletic complex lower in the ship. Does anyone know if these things are correct? If so, are there any concepts of what these rooms would have looked like? Does anyone know of the "original ideas" for any of the other public rooms and deck plans?

Thanks ahead of time.

Matt

James Smith

Dec 5, 2001
Hi Matthew--

I remember that quote as well. As I recall, this was the concept discussed by Pirrie (head of Harland and Wolff, Titanic's builders) and Ismay (head of White Star Line, the owners) at their original "concept discussion" in 1907 at Pirrie's house. I don't know that they ever got around to planning out a design scheme, or even if it was determined precisely where these would be located within the ships. The concept of a high dining room capped with a glass dome was not new--both Lusitania and Mauritania had two-deck high dining rooms capped by glass domes, as did several early German liners. I would assume that Ismay and Pirrie were merely enumerating a few of the things they liked in other ships that they might include in their new trio.

I may be wrong, though--with my luck, as soon as I post this someone else will post a set of preliminary blueprints and architectural renderings showing all of the features you mentioned!

Jim Smith

Dec 6, 2000
Matt, Jim,

Although only the top 3 decks; and at best almost too faint to see; there are what are labelled as "Original Design drawings" in the inside covers of: The Birth of the Titanic, by Michael McCaughan. The Grandstair case is less elaborate and faces the other way. Also the lifeboats were all together; running aft from near the 2nd boiler uptake casing.

1st Class: 190 Single berth rooms, 34 2-berth and 114 3-berth = 338 rooms for 600.
2nd Class: 102 2-berth rooms and 128 4-berth = 230 rooms for 716.
3rd Class: in enclosed rooms 1528; plus 260 beds in open berths.

Hope that may be of interest,
Lester

Feb 14, 2011
Whats odd is that 2nd class on the Olympic class liners reminds me of first class decor on the "Big Four" white Star Liners. Is this by design, or did the designers not want to strain themselves by thinking too hard?

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Nov 8, 2003
ok, i dont want to sound like a dumbass, but ive been looking over the titanics deckplans, and i have found on the stern, something called the 'docing bridge', and i do not know anything about this, so give me all the info u got please.

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Potty-mouth Jack,

It's not a dumb question. The docking bridge was a raised platform on the fantail that was equipped with the same basic equipment found on the regular bridge. It was used for when the ship moved in reverse. This was only relevant when the ship was docking.

Hope this helps,

David

PS-Oooo! You used a dirty word! Wait till Phil finds out! Someone's gonna be punished!

Just kidding.

happy.gif