Other Ships In The Area

J

Jeff James

I just discovered this board and I love it. You all show so much knowledge and I find it very interesting.
Other than the Carpathia, wasn't there another ship in the area of the Titanic where the captain of that ship heard the distress call but went back to bed? Is that true? Also, is it true that a third ship's Marconi operator had turned off his radio and went to bed because of an earlier incident with the Titanic radio operator?
Thanks in advance for your answers

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
The ship you mean is the Leyland Line Californian. It was estimated that she was as close as 10 miles away from the Titanic (compared to Carpathia's 58 miles). They most probably have spotted the Titanic's distress rockets also. The Californian's wireless operator has earlier warned Titanic's operator on ice ahead, but as Phillips was busy sending private messages for the passengers and the range was so near and loud, Phillips told him to 'Keep out and shut out.'

Not because he was pissed off with Phillips that he went to bed, he was just tired as the Californian had only one operator and his duty time was over.

Jul 9, 2002
Welcome to the boards Mr. James. We all appreciate your questions and hope to help you answer them in any way we can. (Especially those who know LOTS more than me! Ha Ha!) In no way intending to sound or be rude..be sure to look all around the message boards. Im sure you will find, much as I did when I was new, that many of your questions have been answered and there may even be some deep and prolonged discussion on them! It is very helpful I have found. As I said though, please feel free to ask away as well. Again, welcome aboard. Fair winds and following seas.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Jeff, I'll offer you a few links here so you can understand the dynamics of what's become known in the Titanic community as The Californian Incident. See the following;

All at Sea with Dave Gittins
The Titanic and the Mystery Ship
George Behe's Titanic Tidbits

Also The Californian Incident, A Reality Check which I co wrote along with my friend's Tracy Smith and Captain Erik Wood.

I'll give fair warning that the websites and the article referenced above make no pretense of not having their own biases. That's why I'll also refer you to The Titanic Inquiry Project which has the actual investigation transcripts available on line.

Fair warning; It's a pretty dicey controversy. One where you'll just have to check all the facts, all the viewpoints, then keep your own counsel on who's "side" you're on if any at all...then be ready to take some heat for it from time to time.

Jeremy makes a good point on the interaction between the Marconi operators, BTW. Phillips reaction wasn't personal or anything like that. Not that I'm aware of anyway. The simple fact is that the Californian had only one operator who had to get some sleep sometime, so after being told off, he shut down for the night and went to bed. And all that about an hour befor the infamous Titanic vs. Iceberg contest.

K

Keith R E Hall

The ships i remember were CARPETHIA AMERIKA FRANKFURT there may have ben 1 or 2 more but that is all i can remember.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Also Mount Temple 49 mi., Birma 70 mi., Frankfort 153 mi., Virginian 170 mi., and the Baltic which was 243 mi. away.

Apr 14, 2001
Hi everyone I am looking for information on the german oil takner named the Deutschland.
This oil tanker is mentioned in the book, Titanic An Illistrated History, and in the book it mentioned that the Baltic reported that the tanker Deutschland on its way to Philidelphia, was having problems, and also in the book, it mentioned that Ismay took that report and later showed it to Marian Thayer, and Mrs Ryerson. The message from the Baltic said that the Deutschland was in trouble with ice bergs and needed help. Mrs Ryerson asked Ismay, "what are you going to do about it?" ismay replied that they were going to do nothing about the Deutschland, and would instead reach New York City early, and surprise everyone.

so heres some questions i have. What happened to the Deutscland? Did it make it to Philidelphia? Where was the deutschland compared to where the titanic was at the time of the sinking? Could they have helped in someway if they were close by? Any information you guys may have is appriciated. Thanks

Aug 8, 2007
Canada
Hi Jennifer, Deutschland had been taken in tow by the Leyland freighter Asian earlier on Sunday Apr. 14th, and the two ships arrived in Halifax four days later. Her problem was not icebergs; she had run out of coal in mid-Atlantic and could not proceed under her own power. Deutschland's distress position as given to the Baltic was 40.42'N 55.11'W, which was approximately 240 nautical miles West of where Titanic sank. At this distance, and having headed North-West to Halifax for some hours before Titanic called CQD, Asian with Deutschland in tow would not have been able to assist Titanic.

Hope that helps!

Apr 14, 2001
Russell, thank you so much for helping, me and for putting what i read about about this ship into a new perspective. Here is one more question can you tell me how i would be able to see a picture of the deutschland online? thanks for your time.

T

tony mac

can any one name all the ships in the North Adlantic the night/morning when R.M.S.Titanic sank.

[Moderator's note: This post, originally posted in a separate thread in an unrelated topic has been moved to the pre-existing one, which is discussing the same subject. JDT]

A

Aaron_2016

I understand there was a German oil tanker which had run out of coal and requested a tow to Halifax. Does anyone know which ships responded and who came to her rescue? Was this happening simultaneously with the Titanic disaster?

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Aaron_2016

Cheers. Did this cause great confusion because there was a large passenger ship in service at the time which was also called the SS Deutschland and looked similar to the Titanic.

SS Deutschland.

Deutschland.PNG

If the newspapers were mistakenly told that ship was in tow to Halifax they may have assumed the wireless reports were referring to the Titanic as they looked similar from a distance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
It is famously known now that afterwards a message from the Asian / Deutschland asking if they had any survivors was mistaken for (I paraphrase):
"Titanic being towed to Halifax, all passengers safe"
Cheers. Did this cause great confusion because there was a large passenger ship in service at the time which was also called the SS Deutschland and looked similar to the Titanic.

SS Deutschland.
View attachment 38829
I hadn't thought of that, but it's unlikely.

A

Aaron_2016

Off Topic, but I just checked the link, and one of the postcards on the website show a sailing ship sinking by the stern in the background. Why? Is this referencing a rescue or is it just dodgy artwork?

Back To Topic!

I think it is just rocking on the waves. It could also be a sales tactic to show that modern steamships are much safer and reliable.

Reactions: Harland Duzen

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
I agree with Aaron; the sailing ship is simply bobbing in the sea, not sinking.

Aaron, what paper is that clipping from? I don't know why Hapag's Deutschland would still be referred to by that name in late 1912. The Ellis Island ship manifests don't include any for "Deutschland" after 1910 but do include a number for "Victoria Luise" in 1912, although not for the dates you mentioned.