Other ships under construction at HampW

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Hi all,
Does anyone know where I can find a list of other ships under construction at H&W during the Olympic and Titanic's construction and fitting out? There must have been a few - Titanic's yard number was 401 and Britannic's was (I recall!) 433. I'm not sure if this number includes Nomadic and Traffic though.

Cheers

Paul
--
http://www.paullee.com

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Paul, you'll find the whole lot in "Shipbuilders to the World", that boring but valuable tome.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Alas I don't have it.

But does it show that H&W made other ships for people other than the White Star Line? Wyn Craig Wade seems to imply a symbiotic relationship between the two (WSL only orders from H&W and H&W makes ships for no-one else)

Cheers

Paul
--
http://www.paullee.com

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hello, Paul---

H&W absolutely built for other lines, although White Star never bought from other yards. H&W did not, however, build for White Star's competitors on the North Atlantic run. The only other North Atlantic lines that H&W built for were lines owned by IMM (principally Red Star and Atlantic Transport) or associated with it (such as Hamburg America). But they also did a fair business with lines such as Union Castle and Royal Mail, just to name two, whose routes did not coincide with White Star's.

david wilson

Feb 17, 2004
Paul,I believe you are looking for a list of other ships built by h&w.A Mr Charles McConnell from carrickfergus ni has produced a very nice magazine detailing every boat that h&w ever built.I will endeavour to find his address.I will keep you posted.
regards.
dw

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
Harland & Wolff also built warships - aircraft carriers being one of their specialities; some of those that come to mind include HMS Bulwark, HMS Centaur, HMS Eagle, HMS Campania, HMS Unicorn, HMS Powerful, HMS Magnificent, HMS Glory HMS Warrier and HMS Formidable. The H&W built cruiser HMS Belfast can now be seen in London.