Ouija

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Still, look on the bright side - at least nobody has taken me up on my offer of (totally incompetent and fortuitous) psychic analysis, via the Tarot, at BTS.<<

Well, you could always ring the Sci-Fi Channel and give them a sales pitch. If they like what they hear, they may offer you a contract. It worked for John Edward.
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2000
Did it indeed? I don't even know who John Edward is, but if it helps out with my mortgage repayments, then I might be on board. Paul - ask yourself - why should anyone 'passed over' be interested in life today? Why should anyone, who has endured a life without personal hygiene, education, medicine, teeth, pensions etc. be interested in advising about our petty problems?

Marty Comes

May 20, 2004
I won't believe until a ouija board gives me the winning lottery numbers....

LOL...hey, Paul, that's an idea I hadn't thought of before!
happy.gif

Love,
Marty

Reactions: 1 user
B

Brian R Peterson

As an amusing prospect as it may seem, throwing darts at random numbers would be a more reliable bet for lottery numbers that, and it won't lead to arguments over who was using the pointer when you lose!
smile.gif

Best Regards,

Brian

Jun 5, 2004
I believe that God is love, and so if you love, then you can't be easily angered. And you don't have to have heated debates about it, because you are kind of defeating the whole God is love thing when you do that. Just state your point and live your life in such a way as to support that point.

As for the Ouija board, I believe personally that it is demonic. A very long time ago before I understood more of the ways of life, a friend & I decided it would be a good idea to play this game. Without going into any detail, I stand firm in my opinion that it is not a good thing no matter what purpose it is being used for.
I am so adamant about it, that another best friend owns one & has asked me to play & I've repeatedly said no. I love her & would do almost anything for her, but I would never play that with her.

Disclaimer:these are all my own points of view, and in no way should anyone be offended by them or think that I judge anyone for disagreeing. My doctrine says not to judge others, because the same stick I would use to measure others, is the stick that I will be measured with...thank you.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Did it indeed? I don't even know who John Edward is<<

He's the guy who has that show on the Sci-Fi Channel where he claims he's communicating with the dead. At first blush, it looks like he's coming onto some amazing insights that he couldn't possibly know on his own. On closer examination...if you have a chance to watch the show befor the inconvenient parts where he gets it wrong are edited out...you'll see that he doesn't so much answer questions as he does ask a lot of leading ones. The mark has no idea that s/he is actually giving him the information he's coming up with. This is an old con man's trick known as Cold Reading.

You can read more about Cold Reading HERE.

Be sure to read through the links on the bottom.

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Michael,

You are absolutely correct; John Edwards is an overpaid phony like every other psychic out there.

Another unknown tidbit is that he has the audience members he talks to fill out questionnaires before the show, and he learns most of what he needs both from guessing and leading people on as he does from already knowing what they are going to ask.

Its all a bunch of bull puckey if you ask me, we should save John a cell next to Miss Cleo
smile.gif

Best Regards,

Brian

Jun 11, 2000
I say, Michael, that's a very interesting link. I'm going to give it to my students when we do sales techniques! I'm not sure, though, that a new career beckons. I think I might have trouble keeping a straight face. On the subject of lottery numbers, someone once told me you should never buy a lottery ticket more than 5 days before it closes as, statistically, you are more likely to die during that period than win - whatever your age - and waste your money. Bet the heirs wouldn't mind, though...
happy.gif

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
I've never been so sure about Ouija since I got in touch with Quentin, the little yellow toy box
happy.gif

Cheers

Paul

Jan 2, 1997
hello, hello, I've missed you all !! I've been away so long, you might have thought I'd passed over !

Right, ouija boards - do you know, I can remember when they were sold in catalogues as Christmas presents ? Always seemed odd to me. People spend enought time moaning about having to hang out with old living relatives at the Festives, so why try to get in touch with dead ones ?

I do think that the lack of psychic activity around the Titanic is a bit strange, though. Many years agao I read a fascinating book about the crash of airshp R101. It was claimed that the airship captain was speaking through a female medium, and the details she gave of the crash were so accurate the transcripts of the sessions were immediately classed as sensitive and filed away under the Oficial Secrets Act. But as far as I know, Captain Smith has never spoken up for himself - or am I wrong ?

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Re: R101. "The Unexplained", a serialised magazine in the early 1980s. It turned out that many of the details given by the medium were actually bogus.

Cheers

Paul

Jun 11, 2000
Oh Paul, now you're being a party-pooper, and it was your party....

Brian,
scandalized to hear this Edwards cove hands out questionnaires before the show! Surely, the audience finds that a wee bit suspicious? Reminds me of an expose I saw on David Copperfield, where he made a Sherman tank 'disappear'. Apparently, he just moves it, and the audience are in on the gag. One hopes they don't have to pay to watch such dismal stunts - at least with sawing-the-lady-in-half, you don't have to be complicit.

Mar 28, 2002
The best disappearing trick I ever saw was my backpack and all contents therein by a lovely little tyke with a gun by the name of Andreas in Albania.

I thought John Edward was the genuine article. (snigger)

Still, a damn sight more convincing than Derek "Get out! Leave this place forever!" Acorah.

I've only ever tried a ouija board once, as a teenager, and far from summoning up any evil spirits, we ended up consuming an awful lot of spirits and rolling round the floor laughing our heads off. We thought we would try the ouija thing instead of our normal while-the-parents-are-away game of strip poker.

Cheers,

Boz

Jan 2, 1997
Paul aaww rats !! I bought into the whole R101 thing !! Was the story about the pilot with Lord Inchcapes daughter a phony, too ? you can't trust nobody these days.

It would only be right and proper, though, to try to use an ouija board to contact the Titanic, and not these phony tv mediums that are about at the moment - Derek Acorah is seriously scary. I think ouija boards are far more Edwardian, and more in keeping, doncha think ? come to think of it, the Acorah one has hair like ectoplasm....

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hi Susan,

It would only be right and proper, though, to try to use an ouija board to contact the Titanic, and not these phony tv mediums that are about at the moment...

Ouija boards are equally phoney if you ask me, Susan. The idea that a "spirit" would only communicate on restricted human terms has always struck me as silly.

So you place a glass in the centre of a table surounded by letters of the alphabet. Now why, if there is some unknown entity in the room, would the glass have to be held by the participants? Surely an unseen sprirt would move the glass of its own accord?

I'm with Boz - consume spirits rather than conjure them!

A

Alex McLean

John Edwards: "Ok, I'm getting someone here, begins with H.... Harold... Harry, yes, Harry. And I take it Harry has passed away....."

Only when nothing else is on. Then again, there's always the discussions here.

My best,
happy.gif

Alex

Damon Hill

Jun 13, 2004
I dont think I would dabble with ouija boards to contact anyone from the Titanic or anywhere else for that matter. Several years ago some of my friends thought it would be a laugh to have a seance (Though not a Titanic one) and things got out of hand. One of them went funny and pulled a door of its hinges, threw furniture about and had to get rushed to hospital!...but the doctors never found an explanation for what happened, they just said it was "some sort of fit". Most of the time when people dabble in this stuff nothing happens but there's always that one time when something "could". They didnt think the Titanic would sink either until it did. Sorry for getting so heavy, but it was a bit scary!.

Jan 2, 1997
Ben of course ouija boards are equally silly - I too believe that spirits are there for the taking, not talking ! It's just that I can easily imagine Edwardian ladies and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle sitting about waiting for a spot of table rapping from Captain Smith. Especially Sir Arthur, since he had a bit of spat going on with George Bernard Shaw at the time over the sinking, and was famously keen on all things spiritual (and fairy-like). I've been told that he did try to 'get through' at a seance to get a hold of his friend WT Stead. I don't know what happened, but I do know that there's a group of Doyle fans who meet here in Edinburgh every year to hold seances to speak to Sir Arthur. They haven't managed so far. He's probably too busy talking to Stead !