Our library

Status
Not open for further replies.

robin ayotte

Nov 17, 2002
our library stinks they only have 4 titanic books, i think i have to move to a bigger town, even our book store does not carry any titanic books.

Pat Winship

May 14, 1999
Well, sometimes books on extremely popular subjects like that can vanish from a library's shelves as if by magic, never to be seen again!
We at Newark Public Library have a great deal of difficulty keeping up with our circulating Titanic books. I thought I'd managed to get Pellegrino's last book stolen, but alas, there it was a few days ago. Usually the more pictures the book has, the faster it disappears!

Pat W

robin ayotte

Nov 17, 2002
thanks pat, our library is in a town of only 8,000 people, i think they might think there just not that many people interested in those books, i am trying to see if they can order some different books of ships.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Robin, if your local library is properly organised, it will be able to get all sorts of books by inter-library loans. I can't speak for the USA, but here in South Australia my local library can draw on every library in the state at no charge. Fees apply to books brought from interstate. I've been able to get hold of dozens of Titanic books, including rarities like Rostron's book.

Jan 31, 2001
I know just how you feel, Robin. That's about the size of the town I live in, and our libray doesn't have very many books on the subject either. Neither does the area bookstores (the town itself doesn't even have one, aside from a tiny used bookstore). I just order them online.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Here in the UK we have excellent library facilities. If they don't have the book locally they obtain it from the County and failing that from the British Library.

I currently have on loan Arthur Rostron's book 'Home from the Sea', the rare blue bound copy it is too. Cost me just £2 to borrow.

Now, someone has pencilled in the names of the individuals which the author failed to provide. Own up!! Who was it borrowed this book last? No one from ET, I hope.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Libraries can be funny places. I first found Michael Davies' excellent Titanic: The Full Story of a Tragedy in a tiny library at Kingscote, Kangaroo Island. It's a town of maybe 2,000 people.

More remarkably, our State Library has a copy of Howard Chapin's tiny booklet, called The Titanic Disaster. It's said that only 20 copies were printed. I can't imagine where it came from.

Jan 31, 2001
Perhaps a move to the UK is in order for me then.
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2000
Robin, Pat W is a librarian and in the past has offered useful advice on getting your local library to organise an inter-library loan. From memory, this included someone being able to borrow a copy of Lightoller's autobiography on inter-library loan.

Have you asked your library if they'd be able to borrow Titanic books from other libraries on your behalf? It's a good way to 'try before you buy' and much cheaper than buying books you may only want to read the once.

robin ayotte

Nov 17, 2002
i found some new books, and movies one is george behn i will start to read that one tonite one of the dvds i got is last voyage of the lusitania and it had a lot of pictures in it of the dead not nice most of the pictures are of little kids did not want to see them,

Jun 4, 2000
Good stuff, Robin.

Did you find them in a bookshop or was it through the library?

Once you've read the books, hop right in to the discussions in this forum and share your views.

robin ayotte

Nov 17, 2002
library for the movies and a good will store a friend said they have tons of books, and they do lol but only one on the titanic i will have to start going there for my books

Ed Weichsler

Feb 4, 2004
Just as a suggestion, consider your own catalogue
of what that library has. Hit the garage sales, eBay, thrift shops, etc. Purchase these books & donate them to the library. Better yet, donate them to your local elementary & middle schools.
I've been doing this for almost 25 years. When I got into this wonderful pastime, the only thing on the school's library shelves was ANTR. No excuse now. Before anyone criticizes the suggestion, consider this; School libraries are the last "rung on the ladder" to get funding when times are good, the first "rung on the ladder to be cut, when times are bad. As a Rotary Club member, I have been promoting literacy for a long time. I never pass up the chance to point out to kids that "there is more to life than the Titanic. There is more to life
than your game boy or "X" box, and you'll find it in the Library. Your (library) card doesn't care where you live, how rich or poor your parents are, how nice your clothes are. It's the great equalizer in life, it's free, and you can't wear it out. However, I dare you to try to wear it out. I dare you! Your card will take you anywhere you ever wanted to go, past, present, future. With it, you can meet anyone who ever lived, even if they're no longer living. It will take you to country in the world, any planet in the solar system, 365 days a year, 24 hours per day, seven days a week you can reap the rewards of it." Warning! Your friends won't think it's cool........ unless you meet them at the library.

JMO

Ed Weichsler

Feb 4, 2004
My suggestion was made to Robin Ayotte (re: our library stinks) .
Please consider it in the spirit it was made and with no malice intended.

robin ayotte

Nov 17, 2002
no problem, i donate books at less 3 times a year from little kids books to romance books lol, and our library does cost money to uses if you live out of the city you have to pay 35. a year to used it, my sister lives 8 miles away and she pays 35. every year. but its worth it, it cheeper then buying all the books. i have 12 sisters and brothers and 54 nieces and nephews and we are all big readers my daughter even writes books her teacher is even trying to help her get her books publish.

Pat Winship

May 14, 1999
Sadly, sometimes the possibility of interlibrary loans can depend on the staff at one's local library. In New Jersey, where I work, we're very proactive on getting books for people; however I've heard that other states and libraries are sometimes less so. I've had things loaned from the Library of Congress, which, in theory, any US citizen should be able to request-- however another person on this board informed me that her local library refused to get the same item for her.

Pat W.

Status
Not open for further replies.