Overturned lifeboat

Jan 15, 2008
In the James Camerons movie we see one of the last lifeboats (maybe a collapsable) overturn and spilling the passengers into the sea.
Did that really happen? I know one of the collapsables overturn because there wasn't enough time to cut it loose, (was it empty?) Did passengers fall out of a lifeboat/collapsable??

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted as a differently-named thread in another topic, has been moved and renamed. MAB]

Jan 15, 2008
Yes, but people like Thayer, Gracie and Lightoller eighter jumped from Titanic or where washed out from the decks due to a wave they fell into the sea and swam to the overturned lifeboat.
And i assume that the other people on the overturned lifeboat had similar experiences

But where people thrown out of the collapsible into the ocean?
Because that is shown in Camerons movie but the fact is that in books it is never mentioned that persons where actually thrown out of a lifeboat...??

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
We know that the last two collapsibles floated off the ship as the bow dropped under the water because they weren't able to be properly lowered in time. Collapsible A on the starboard side slid off of the roof of the officer's quarters using a couple pairs of oars, but what about the other one? It landed upside down in the water on top of Harold Bride and ultimately saved a few more lives. I wonder if the port list had anything to do with how it was "launched." If collapsible A was lowered onto the boat deck on an upward grade, I think it would have an easier time to remain upright. However, if collapsible B was pushed on a down hill 9-10 degree list, it might gain some top-heavy momentum and flip over. I'm not really sure about how much of the list had an impact on this. Any thoughts?

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Since they were't doing it by the designers original (and in my view crazy) method of launching the Collapsible as explained by Georges G on the "Would More Lifeboats Have been Worse?" Forum:

"Easy job. You had to send a steward up in the stack to hook up a block and tackle. Then attach the hook of that tackle to a bridle fasten to the bow and stern of the collapsible. Afterward, you had to hook up a block and tackle on the head of a davit and fasten to another collapsible bridle. Once done, you had to heave up the stack block and tackle until the collapsible was free from its berth. Then you could heave up the davit block while slacking down the stack tackle until the boat was on deck. A bit of coordination needed. Then you only had to detach the bridles, pull the boat in line with a set of davits, hook up the falls, heave up, swing the davits clear and lower away..."

I think the main cause for it Overtipping might have been the Collapsible's Bases that prevented it falling onto the deck in normal times (Below).
Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 09.58.08.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 10.15.44.png

(Pictures taken from Titanic: Honor & Glory)

The Sailors can't just lift it upwards of the deck, they have to push it off instead and they can't lift it up on both sides as they would fall onto the Boat Deck. So the crew are trying to push it over the base's raised ledge on a pivot.

What I theorise, is that the crew shove the boat onto the bases ledge, it's keel then falls onto the deck's ledge and still leaning it falls onto the Boat Deck sideways and falls on it side. Finally the momentum makes it fall upside onto any unfortunate Marconi Operators standing besides it..

Hope this makes sense.