Painting of Kaiserin Auguste Victoria by Pansing

Jan 29, 2001
On my recent 3-day trip to Santa Barbara,
my friend, also Mike, an Antique proprietor from the area where I reside, made his usual stop at an aution house to pick up his purchases. Just as soon as I entered the front door...I saw it!
Owing to my decades of researching/collecting steamship memorabila, I recognized the piece.
It was an original painting by famed artist Fred Pansing (1844-1912) of the Hamburg-Amerika Line's KAISERIN AUGUSTE VICTORIA dated 1907. The painting did not meet it's very high reserve, so an attempt will be made by my partner (he's wealthy) to obtain the piece for a much lower price. And, the hope is one-day it will adorn a wall in my home.

BTW, Pansing's 1911 painting of OLYMPIC is highly sought after and extremly valuable!

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Jan 29, 2001
My friend Mike, the aforementioned Antique dealer,
just recently aquired the KAISERIN AUGUSTE VICTORIA original painting by Fred Pansing, dated 1907.
The estimated value by the Oakland, CA based auction house was $20,000 - $30,000. However, the consigners were in need of funds, so did not enter a shill bid, the painting closed at $6,500 in my friend Mike's name.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Jan 29, 2001
ATTN. MODERATORS: Would you plesase remove the two posts preceeding this, as well as this one, as a courtesy to my friend the Antique proprieter.

Thank You,

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Jan 29, 2001
2nd ALERT to moderators-
Please remove all of the preceeding posts in regards to Kaiserin Auguste Victoria on my behalf. Unbeknowst to myself they may interfere with a future sale. Thank You.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From the rules at https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/admin.php?angle=Rules
"The board administrator / moderators will not delete posts or threads on demand* but will consider requests to temporarily quarantine threads that have degenerated for some reason. The likelihood is that these will be restored to the board after the dust has settled.

* Members may request the removal of personal information from the Introduce Yourself section."
Please be careful of what you post because you may have to live with it.

Apr 11, 2001
Just as a general observation on this situation,-revealing private sales information between a dealer and buyer is rarely a good idea on a public forum, more so if the party is not yourself. The alerts have been received and are being discussed.

Jan 29, 2001
Mike & Shelley, thanks anyhow. However, I have learned a hard lesson about collecting, albeit it was no ordinary stumble upon treasure, as knowlege would intervene. I am certain with the celebrated staure of Fred Pansing's Maritime art, my good friend will profit from his purchase...who knows...maybe a Nevada collector, bearing initials MC can be a future caretaker...;-)

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Marko LULIC

Oct 28, 2006
Hunting in the dark water.Two actors but no
fishes.Who is in benefit,actual owner or
potential buyer?

Jan 29, 2001
Beings that Pansing was so fond of rendering the
KAISERIN AUGUSTE VICTORIA (3 diff. that I am aware of) I am curious to know if, that perhaps, he and his family immigrated from Germany aboard the said steamship. I know that he was a young lad of 16 when he arrived in Hoboken, USA.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Jan 29, 2001
For the record, at any rate, the art/painting collectors
are systematicaly made aware of a *paintings* transaction selling price in accordance with
their auction establishments.

And, on a similar note...the sports collection world, was and is still aware of, Wayne Gretsky and Bruce McNail's purchase of the T-206 Honus Wagner, yrs. ago, for one million dollars, subsequently selling the same card for $3.2 million.

BTW, Mark thanks for the sensible post...;-)

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Marko LULIC

Oct 28, 2006
Thank you Michael,

Would you be so kind to tell me,on what way
you have been involved in art?
Thank you in advance.

Jan 29, 2001
Marko: Pardon, this response in late getting back to you. My good friend is the art/antique furniture expert, I only assited with my knowledge of Fred Pansing and Ocean Liners.
The vessel must be close to New York, it wears the U.S. flag on it's foremast & Hamburg America about it's mainmast. Aso in the background a four-funneled German Liner, perhaps D. KAISER WILHELM DER GROSSE.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Jan 29, 2001
For the record: Just today my friend sold his Panzing painting of KAISERIN AUGUSTE VICTORIA '07 via
Bonhams & Bonhams for $18,000.

So...per my post #872...no harm no foul...;-)

BTW, of the same auction an Oceaneering 1983 salvaged LUSITANIA porthole was not sold?

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA