Paired shoes in the debris field

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Martha Fasoulas

Hello all!

This is my first post so please be gentle with me! I am writing from Sydney, Australia (hence my tragic little member name) and have been a keen researcher of Titanic history for many years. I appreciate the hard work of many of the members who post here. Your information is invaluable!

Now to my question....I have read conflicting stories on the boards and in many books about the salvage of some of the paired shoes found in and around the debris field, particularly near the stern section. I am trying to clarify the most accurate reports of just how many paired shoes were actually seen and noted down there. Any links would be great!

Also, I understand there were suggestions, not sure about proof, that many of these shoes have since been salvaged by RMSTI or an earlier crew shorlty after Ballard's second expedition in 1986. While the salvage of these shoes has indeed caused a sea of controversy on its own, could someone please confirm the validity of these suggestions? If they did indeed bring up these paired shoes, have they displayed any at a Titanic exhibition or elsewhere?

I have read a lot of the lists on recovered items and was shocked to see there were at least a few entries for recovery of shoes. Personally I would be disgusted to think they could ever raise these items, considering the fact that they were clearly seen to have been on the feet of a passenger as they touched the bottom. Regardless of whether any human remains exist along with them, the area is a gravesite. I am sure there were enough other artifacts to recover without having to resort to bringing up the shoes of the these unfortunate people. Regardless of the controversy surrounding salvage, basically it seems the very least they could have done was leave the damn shoes!

Please do not mistake this thread as a discussion on all salvage rights. I am quite aware of most people's differing opinions on this matter and appreciate them.

If possible I hope it is not too much for me to ask if someone could kindly forward me a copy of the picture of a pair of shoes in the debris field. If I can remember correctly, there was a classic picture taken during Ballard's discovery expedition.

My e-mail is at [email protected]light.org.au

Look forward to all your thoughts and wealth of knowledge
happy.gif

Many thanks
Martha

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Hallo, Martha, and welcome to Titanica. If you haven't done so already, run the ET search engine on the keyword 'shoes' and you'll find a great many postings on this subject. This archive, for instance:

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/discus/messages/5932/6604.html

An inventory of items recovered by the 2000 RMS Titanic Inc expedition (including several pairs of boots) can be found here:

http://www.imacdigest.com/archrepo.html

The photograph you refer to can be seen on a number of web pages (always rather small) like this one:

http://members.aol.com/tinsleyfam/titanicpresent.html

M

Martha Fasoulas

Ah thank you very very much Bob and very nice to meet you
happy.gif
the information was fantastic.

I appreciate the links as there is a lot of information on this board to get through! I realised this topic would have likely been discussed before yet if anyone would like to add anything....

Thanks again
Martha

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Pleased to meet you too, Martha. I'm sure you'll enjoy the time you spend here. You're right, there's a LOT of information here - I've been exploring the threads for 6 months and I'm still finding my way around!

Status
Not open for further replies.