Palm Beach Titanic connection

Mar 15, 2001
I was just wondering if any of the wealthy Titanic passengers had any homes in Palm Beach, Florida and if so, are any of the homes still standing? Its my understanding that many of the homes that were built by millionaires of the past have been torn down including the estate built by Edward T. Stokesbury, who built El Mirasol at a cost of 20 million dollars. Also demolished was Mrs. Horace Dodge, Sr.'s estate ( she owned Catherine the Greats emerald necklace- I wonder where it is now?). Also, was Washington Dodge related to this set of Dodges who started the Dodge automobile company?

Apr 11, 2001
Darren- oh my yes. It was Newport South. Bill Harrison has published a wonderful newspaper article on the Palm Beach First Class which I will get a copy of for you.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Shelley, I'd love to see it too, as my efforts with the local historical societies and the historian at The Breakers Resort have turned up zilch. In fact, the information I've gleaned on ET has been the only information I've been able to find on local Titanic sites. I've been trying to find the Pillsbury-Snyder house in Delray Beach to no avail. Also been trying to find Madeleine Astor's home (three women in my writers' group claim to be related to Jr. and have nothing good to say about him). Was hoping to put together some kind of article about the Palm Beach connection to not only publish here, but to provide the TSOD museum in Orlando to persuade them to move here when their lease is finally up. I do know exactly where the crematorium is where one survivor was taken after his death, and of course, I've been to The Breakers and the Flagler home where Edwardian socialites frequented. If anyone wants to come down here, I'll be happy to show you around.

Kyrila

Mar 15, 2001
Hi Kyrila, I was hoping you might could shed some light on this subject for me. I wish I had more time when I came down there this week. I did visit Flaglers home in Palm Beach and I can't understand for the life of me why someone would build such a huge home with such big, impersonal rooms. It was the hard, marble floors where Flagler met his demise. He fell and broke his hip and was layed up for several weeks before he developed pneumonia and died at the age of 83.

Apr 11, 2001
I will see Bill Harrison at church on Sunday and get his article- he lived in Palm Beach for a number of years and is now an historian and writer for the Preservation Society in Newport. His upcoming book on Newport First Class is going to be an eyeopener!

Apr 11, 2001
This will be more than an article- it is an enormous book- chock full of revelations, photos and society scandals of the time as well as new details on the Titanic first class families, and lineage. He has been interviewing and researching for years and will give a preview on April 25th at the Gilded Age convention in Newport, as well as a tour of the city including Ellen Bird's home, Maragaret Hays' residence after her marriage, Clinch Smith's house, the street where 5 Titanic Families either rented or owned homes, several Lusitania memorials, and an extensive private tour of The Vanderbilt Breakers where he is on staff. His lectures are positively riveting- even to people who are not "survivor" oriented.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
I managed to find my notes about the South Florida connections. John Borie Ryerson resided at 134 Seabreeze Ave in Palm Beach until his death in 1986. That address is a private nursing home. He was attended by a local physician who is still practicing, and was cremated at Scobee-Combs Crematory, not far from where I live. Ryerson's niece still lives in Miami. Madeleine Force Astor wintered here, and her son had a winter home in Miami Beach. She died here and was taken home to NY for burial. Dr. Alice Leader worked at the Florida Sanitarium in Orlando, and Philip Mock lived in Daytona Beach. The Speddens wintered at Palm Beach and were often seen at the Bath and Tennis Club, where Frederic Spedden suffered a heart attack while swimming in the pool, and died. William Carter wintered at The Breakers Resort accompanied by his son or daughter and their families. He passed away at a local hospital during his residence. Molly Brown also wintered at The Breakers and was a guest when the fire of 1925 burned the resort to the ground. She lost many precious keepsakes in the fire and saved only her nightgown on her back, a mismatched pair of socks and a package of letters from a dear friend. Karl Behr Jr. still lived in Lake Wales the last I heard. His parents were Sr. and Helen Newsom. Arthur Olsen lived in St. Pete. Jean Hippach's daughter and Peter Daly's daughter lives in Ft. Lauderdale. John and Nelle Snyder had a winter home in Delray Beach, Pauline Thayer had a home on a golf course in Hobe Sound and Frank Goldsmith had a home in Orlando. Many survivors also lived in Jacksonville (Rev. Bateman, the Nicola-Yarreds, Amelia Isaac, Ada Ball) or the Keys (Alden Caldwell). One infamous Titanic fraud named Bertha Herring lived in Key West for 20 years - claiming to have been a survivor. Other Florida residents included Fridtjof Madsen, Mary Agatha Glynn, and Rosa Abbott, although the towns they lived in are unknown. All of this information is available on ET, but I think this is the first time it's ever been posted together. Of these listed, ten survivors lived in Palm Beach County at some time or other. (Hobe Sound and Delray Beach included) I hope this is helpful.

Kyrila

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Hi Kyrila,
Just a small addendum to your post--Rosa Abbott also lived in Jacksonville and Mary Agatha Glynn sometimes lived and visited with her children in the Fort Lauderdale area. Also, sad to say, Karl Behr, Jr. who lived in Lake Wales died last summer.

My best,
Phil

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Thanks for the update, Phil. I didn't know you all had found Mrs. Abbott's whereabouts! Great detective work. By the way, I wanted to ask you if Dr. Leader was a Seventh-Day Adventist, as the only sanitarium I am familiar with in the Orlando area is the one they have had there which is now called Florida Hospital. Any information?

Kyrila

Mar 15, 2001
Kyrila, thanks for all that great information. Since you live so close to Fort Lauderdale have you ever gotten in touch with Jean Hippachs daughter? I understand she's not interested in giving interviews or getting involved with anything Titanic related.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
No, I haven't attempted to contact her or anyone other than Anna Turja's daughter and someone else over in Europe who had a website devoted to his grandmother (a survivor) while I was doing my book. When people close the door, I don't think I want to knock on it - I'd feel kind of like one of those nasty telephone solicitors. If she were to post here I might send an email, but I won't intrude on someone's private life.

Thanks for your encouragement. If I ever find time I want to do a proper article with photos and such. Maybe I'll put an ad in the Ft. Laud. Sun Sentinel and the Palm Beach Post asking for information from family members. It couldn't hurt.

Kyrila