Panagiotis K. Lymperopoulus

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
In the article about the 4 Greeks from the same village who went down with the Titanic he author claims that Panagiotis Lymperopoulus (spelt by them as Lymberopoulous) was only one of the four who managed to reach the boat deck. It also says that he found a place in a lifeboat but "it was never found". Not sure what that means since all 20 lifeboats were accounted for. Could Lymperopoulus be one of those who died on board Collapsible A?

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
In 2005 there was a Titanic Exhibition in Greece. One of the articles had that Panagiotis Limberopoulo was able to swim to overturned collapsible (B) and hold onto it. What the source for this I do not know.

Reactions: 1 user

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
Quite possible. He might have reached Collapsible B and hung on for a while before dying from exposure.

BUT, if Lymperopoulos was only one of the group of 4 Greeks to reach the boat deck and he himself died while trying to hang on to the overturned Collapsible B (or the swamped Collapsible A for that matter), who on board the lifeboat could have recognized him to be able to make that report later? THAT is the mystery in my view.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Quite possible. He might have reached Collapsible B and hung on for a while before dying from exposure.

BUT, if Lymperopoulos was only one of the group of 4 Greeks to reach the boat deck
For me both claims have no really source and seemed to be made up.
The bodies of two Greeks were recovered which were Vassili Katabelo and Panagiotis Limberopoulo.

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
For me both claims have no really source and seemed to be made up.
The bodies of two Greeks were recovered which were Vassili Katabelo and Panagiotis Limberopoulo.
You could be right, but just for speculation let us look at the possibilities.
  • Lymperopoulos was a Greek who had already lived and worked in America before visiting Greece for a family function. He lived in Stamford, Connecticut and had a small business in New York. He could speak English.
  • He boarded the Titanic in Cherbourg with 3 other Greeks, none of whom could speak English. All of them travelled Third Class. None of those other three 3 survived.
  • During the voyage, he might have met other passengers and spoken to them. As he could speak English, he might have spoken to some Irishmen travelling in Third Class.
  • There were no Third Class passenger Survivors who boarded the ship in Cherbourg either in Collapsible A or the overturned Collapsible B. Victor Sunderland (B), Edward Dorking (B), Rosa Abbott (A), Olaus Abelseth (A), Carl Jansson (A) and August Wennerstrom (A) all boarded the Titanic in Southampton while Patrick O'Keeffe (B) and Eugene Daly (B) boarded in Queenstown.
I know it is a very long shot but IF someone who survived on one of those two Collapsible Lifeboats recognised Lymperopoulos as he hung on, the most likely candidate IMO would be Patrick O'Keeffe on Collapsible B. O'Keeffe worked as a labourer in New York where Lymperopoulos owned a small factory. I am NOT suggesting that they knew each other before the voyage, but there is a small possibility that they could have met on board the Titanic and talked to each other.

There is another report which also indicates O'Keeffe might have tried to help Lymperopoulos. After he managed to climb on board Collapsible B himself, O'Keeffe is supposed to have helped to pull a couple of other men to safety. Those two were supposedly Englishmen but that increases the possibility that he might have tried to help Lymperopoulos too, albeit in vain.

Last edited: