Parks Stephenson

Mar 3, 1998
Hello...I heard that some of my favourite subjects were being debated here, so I joined to see what's going on. In case you don't know me, please visit my website at:

http://home.flash.net/~sparks12/titanic.html

Down at the bottom of the core page is a link to a page that provides a quick summary of my involvement with Titanic. I'm looking forward to talking with many of you!

Parks (or "Sparks," as some may know me)

N

Nathan Heddle

Hey Parks,

Welcome to the board. If you are a Titanic buff, then your favourite topics are most definately being debated here.

Look forward to chatting with you.

nathan

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
G'day, Parks!

To introduce you properly to those who don't yet know you, Sparks is officially on the 'splendid blokes' list. An indefatigable and original researcher, with one of the soundest grasps of the technical aspects of the ship of anyone working in the field (which earned him a spot on the Marine Forensics Panel).

On top of all that, he's bloody good fun and a gentleman. My ambition in life - and I confess it here freely - is to get him to the UK so I can sit and watch as he goes through the boxes of evidence submitted to the Olympic/Hawke inquiry. In the past he's had the frustration of listening to me describe them ('um....well....there's lots of blueprints...er...some photos? And...lemmee see now...oh yeah, telegrams from Bruce Ismay...technical data? Sure, that was in there. Oh, what technical data?...um...')

Good to see you here!

Ing

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Sparks, O M!

What a grand surprise! Tickled to see you've joined this merry band of roistering researchers (Sorry, been reading "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"). I wholeheartedly (is that one word?) concur with Ing about this guy. A most thorough researcher and grand fellow all around.

Warmest regards,
Cook

S

Susan Markowitz

PARKS!!! HURRAY!!!

I'm on my way out the door, but have to pause long enough to say hi -- I'm so glad you found your way here!

Dear Ing and my "psychic-twin" Cookie have got it right -- Parks is one special fellow, multi-talented, and overly modest. Cannot wait to read your contributions...

All the best -- Susan :)

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Parks,

Welcome aboard! My nickname is also Sparks! Their are a lot of great topics here on this wonderful board that will interest you. I checked out your website and it's very interesting.

I enjoyed your previous posts and I look forward to more of them.

Best regards,

Jason

Dec 2, 2000
Welcome Parks.
I read through (quickly) your site and it is a very fine site! I like the way it is arranged and I will go back to it alot to read more and more the weeks to come. Thanks so much for sharing it here.
Maureen.

D

Dean Manning

Hi Parks.

You may not remember me, but a few months ago we exchanged a few e-mails with regards to the sources you used to construct the technical portions of your site. In any case, welcome aboard, and I look forward to your posts and your expertise!

One other thing. A spot on the Marine Forensics Panel?! cool.

-Dean

Mar 3, 1998
I want to thank all who sent me warm messages of greetings here. Ing, you actually caused me to blush. Cook, Countess, Bonnie, Dean...it's always a pleasure. Michael, my old shipmate from that horrible deployment in the USS Ranger, good to see you again. For the rest, I look forward to meeting all of you!

Parks

K

Kara Michele Kloss

Sparks -

Welcome!!!! Great site! Nice picture! Still in the Navy? My father is a blue and gold officer, used to be an Academy boy.

I have been amazed at the professionalism and eloquent speech of those involved in this site. (Not to mention their vast knowledge). Mo and Shell - after all this bologna I'm feeding I guess I better make sure that he doesn't see our fight to the death over the Texan! But seriously, the people here are wonderful!!! Do you know some of them already? (It sounds like it from the welcome you got.) And they know a lot....my students are slowly becoming experts on the subject thanks to them telling me the fact from the fiction. I will have them tune into your site as well. Maybe they can learn a little more from you! Changing the face of the future....who knew?

Anyway, Sparks, you can find out more about me in my profile. I'd send you to my website but....um....I don't have one!!!

Great to see you here!!!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Sparks...that deployment on the Ranger that year wasn't one of my favorites for sure. A collision, a fire, and what was it...something like 13 guys didn't make it back. Nice thing about being retired from all of that is that i don't have to deal with it any more.

BTW, how's it going with the Iwo jima? I've seen some of her sister ships, notably the Essex. I'm impressed with their capabilities.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Mar 3, 1998
Michael,

I'll let you know about the Iwo when I get back from trials. I spent my last years in the Navy on an LHA (Belleau Wood) and LPH (Tripoli). I have only been onboard an LHD (Essex) for a Change of Command ceremony. Most of the ships I work on now are big-deck carriers (Ike, Kennedy, Nimitz), and although Wasp carries our system, Iwo will be the first LHD that I will have occasion to ride.

Parks

Mar 3, 1998
Kara,

Thanks for your welcome. I am retired Navy now, but still working in the defense industry, where my customer is the Navy. Your father went to the Academy? Then he didn't "used to be an Academy boy"...he still is one! Sorry...I'm required to say that.

Good to see a teacher on the site...my sister is a teacher in Virginia. No telling how many times she says "y'all" in a sentence...didn't know you Yankees used it, too.

Any time I can help with your class, please let me know.

Parks

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Sparks, have fun. Might as well since you probably won't get a lot of sleep. I've seen all the ships you mentioned of course. Can't help it when you spend 14 years in San Diego.

Ever do any work on the George Washington? That was my last ship.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Mar 3, 1998
I heloed over to the GW from the Cripoli for one day up in the Gulf and was amazed how advanced that carrier was over any of the ones I had been on up to that time. I still can't get over the fact that crews now get realtime satellite TV and e-mail! The biggest revolution I experienced was the coming of the VCR aboard ship...which now seems like ancient history!

Parks

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Aw hell! The kids I met took VCRs, real-time e-mail and even satillite phone calls for granted by the time I got there. ATMs on the messdecks too. I remember when they were experimenting with the things for the first time back on the Ranger and MARS was how you called anybody back stateside. When I made it to the GW, nobody had any idea what MARS was.

I liked the location of the ships store too. One central location, reasonably close to some of the major storerooms, though not all, but it was a downhill trip to get stock to the store. (I still remember restocking the 03 geedunk on the Ranger from a storeroom on the second platform!) That was a lot easier on my 40 year old kneecaps.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Mar 3, 1998
As you know, I was flying the E-2C off the Ranger. Our big secret was that we would use our HF radio to call a stateside Air Force base, who could then patch us to our house (kinda like an airborne MARS). We had to give it up because the Soviets could DF the HF signal and locate the Battle Group, but at least I got to talk to my sister just minutes before her wedding, halfway around the world.

Oh yea...I also remember the days before YNs received word processors. 'They' said computers would make us a paperless Navy, but all that happened was that the new technology inspired 'Them' to ask for more reports. I think more trees are felled nowadays than they were then. And they're STILL talking about a paperless Utopia. It'll never happen.

Parks

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The idea of a paperless Navy is good for quite a belly laugh. I remember the first "paperless" ship I was on...the Mahlon S. Tisdale, and the overworked YN who was drowning in the stuff.

BTW, was that photo of a Luitenant E. Stephenson in the cruisebook one of you? If so, they screwed up a letter.

If you ever want to chat aviation, I think you have my e-mail address in your rig somewhere. I took some flying lessons while stationed at NAS Keflevik. Quite a challanging place to fly. High winds, unpredictable weather, icy runways...fun, fun, fun!

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart