Passenger Jeopardy

Aug 29, 2000
It's been awhile since we've had a game and I know we have exhausted Funnel Flicks and Six Degrees, so maybe we might try a Jeopardy-style learning game? We give a fairly obscure clue to a passenger or crew identity,something maybe not usually in a bio, and see if we can guess the person? Each following clue can be easier until the identity is guessed. Hopefully we might learn something- and those who know a lot about a local passenger in their hometown, can add to the knowledge pool. Here goes: (3 hidden hints here)

#1 Musical Smith College Graduate (Real "people" experts, give the rest of us struggling contestants a chance!! )

Aug 29, 2000
Really good guess Mike! As many, if not most females did not attend a college we can deduce, probably a wealthy family,-think of where Smith is located,- and it might follow to be able to deduce the Class.

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
This is fun! Marjorie Newell?

She was wealthy and musical, and I know she was a great favorite with those of you who tracked down survivors in person.
-Brian

Aug 29, 2000
Bob wins final Jeopardy! Good job! So little is known and written about Madeleine. The entire family was musical, and Madeleine belonged to the G Clef Club at Smith. She remained a dutiful daughter and caretaker of her aged mother, thus foregoing many opportunities for outings. In reading what some of her friends have written about her in letters from Smith classmates, and also what Madeleine herself wrote in the Smith newsletters, she was devoted to her widowed mother and remained a gentle, reserved lady until the end. The late summer issue of VOYAGE will feature the Newell sisters in a series which is called "Titanic Sisters"- and will continue with other Titanic passenger siblings. Madeleine's niece has generously offered photographs and information, as well as the historian at Smith. Here is Madeleine at the piano with Marjorie, and at last, a full face photo of Madeleine, taken in 1907. Out of respect for her mother, she did not discuss Titanic. She wrote one article about it for the Smith newsletter when pressed for details which will be published in VOYAGE.
66362.jpg

Aug 29, 2000
Both would work- so I guess TWO all expense -paid trips to Puerta Vajarta and a Speed Queen Washer are on the way fellas! It was Miss Winnie I had in mind. Once we were sitting in the lobby - she loved to sing little ditties and recite funny bits (Pull for the Shore )- and she said -with a name like a fish she would never drown. Not being aware of her maiden name, I asked, and she replied with a smile- "TROUTT- with TWO T's!"

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
OK, here's another - fairly easy. I'm thinking of someone who is remembered for two parting gifts, one from home (which was very useful) and one from a crew member (which it would be hard to find a use for). Any offers?

Dec 12, 1999
Hi Bob,

I do believe this may have been Miss Margaret Devaney - the gift of the pocketknife from her younger brother John (which was used to cut the ropes that tied the oars), and the gift of the lifeboat flag emblem from the lifeboat by the quartermaster.

Dec 12, 1999
Hi everyone,

I also think Winnie MacKenzie claimed to have been born with a caul, and told the late author, Rustie Brown, the legend that if one was born with such a thing, they would NEVER drown.

Best,

Mike Findlay

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
This one is (I hope!) a lot tougher. I'm thinking now of a person who might appear to be rather artistic but, unlike Elvis, was not averse to wooden hearts.

Aug 29, 2000
Give us another clue Bob- this looks like "The Daily Double"!! I will venture Francis Millet. He had no use for American women if that qualifies as a "wooden -hearted" man!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Nice try, Shelley. You got one thing right - the gender! But this man is not an artist of any kind. Had a good singing voice, though.