Passenger list

Barb Rainey

Aug 18, 2007
Hello, Sorry if I missed something...I read the list of passengers posted (thanks!), but unfortunately, My great-grandmother and my grandfather are not listed. They were very poor and probably sat on the engine to make the trip! Is there any hope in ever finding those passengers? My grandfather turned 99 on July 27, 2009. His name is John Senich. I believe he may be one of the last people alive from that night...

Emily Long

Oct 21, 2011
I see someone was asking about Lewis P Skidmore. He was in fact Lewis Palmer Skidmore, my great grandfather. The stories I heard from his only child Anne Skidmore Titus, my grandmother, and my dad were that he and Emilie Vinton Skidmore were traveling to Europe for art (not sure what exactly). When the lifeboats came up to the Carpathia he took pictures. He also sketched drawings from accounts of what happened to the Titanic that were published in a newspaper. When they docked someone asked if anyone took pictures and he said I did. Someone snatched the film out of his hand. Luckily he still had his camera that had some pictures in it. My dad had the originals but I am unsure where they are at this moment. He led a very interesting life between teaching at The Pratt Institute and working at The High Museum in Atlanta.

Mar 4, 2011
Marjorie Sweetheart

I've heard a tail from a magazine called Life- It tells of a little girl named Marjorie Sweetheart- yet shes not n the passenger list- There is a picture of her and Rostron on the deck of Carpathia after the Titanic sinking. She saw the child passengers and was so saddened to see them without clothing that she donated some of hers to those children who needed them. Yet she seems to be missing form the passenger lists-
GoL2qKI.jpg

This is her and Rostron RMS Carpathia

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
If that's Rostron he looks older than he appears in the many 1912 photos. And the little girl's outfit looks more 1920s or '30s than Edwardian. Any fashion historians here?

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Sadly not Bob. The story about Marjorie Sweetheart was coming from that paper but I was unable to find the original paper or more about it. My personal guess is that this image possibly did not have any Titanic connection but was possibly taken before or even after the disaster (after 18 April 1912) on board Carpathia.
There are many photographs taken by Barker after Carpathia returned the survivors to New York and sailed again to Fiume and I guess this is one of them.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
So you haven't actually seen the paper with that date, Ioannis? In that case I'm still thinking late 'teens or '20s for this pic, based on Rostron's apparent age and what the kid is wearing. Certainly it wasn't taken during the rescue voyage in April 1912, when he wouldn't have been wearing the white cover on his cap.

Mar 4, 2011
Sadly not Bob. The story about Marjorie Sweetheart was coming from that paper but I was unable to find the original paper or more about it. My personal guess is that this image possibly did not have any Titanic connection but was possibly taken before or even after the disaster (after 18 April 1912) on board Carpathia.
There are many photographs taken by Barker after Carpathia returned the survivors to New York and sailed again to Fiume and I guess this is one of them.

The back of the origianal photo has the story.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
So you haven't actually seen the paper with that date, Ioannis? In that case I'm still thinking late 'teens or '20s for this pic, based on Rostron's apparent age and what the kid is wearing. Certainly it wasn't taken during the rescue voyage in April 1912, when he wouldn't have been wearing the white cover on his cap.

No Bob, it is 1912. The dress the little girl is wearing is 1912 (not 1920s) and Rostron looks exactly as in 1912. If it is 1920s as you stated Rostron would have partly a different uniform and would have been on board Mauretania. (I saw the paper only once and in a very bad quality....)

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
I am not sure if the story is possibly made up. Beside it seems it was only the Daily Mail which had this report. The Daily Sketch did not have it or that picture and I haven't come across an issue of the Daily Mirror with that story or even picture yet. Not all newspaper had the same reports or the same images. [Possibly she gave a few things from her to Titanic kids like other Carpathia passengers did for Titanic survivors but we also did not hear anything big from them.]

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
@ Bob, I had a look and that picture is in the book "Titanic - A journey though time" and the source is given as the Daily Mail. I also found it in the Book "Titanic - From Rare Historical Reports" and I see there that it is a Daily Mirror picture. So it must be in one of the Daily Mirrors too. (On the same page is another picture of Rev. Roger Anderson who had been on board as a passenger and gave the service...)

Aug 20, 2000
Hi,

I believe Miss Sweetheart was actually Miss Marjorie Catty, the four-year old daughter of Mrs Walter Catty. Mother and daughter were first class passengers on the Carpathia. I believe the press simply mis-recorded her name when taking the image of her and Captain Rostron.

I know of four children travelling either in first or second class on the Carpathia in April 1912. Three were girls.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
I think the name Sweetheart was created by error. Possibly a nick name given to her because she share her clothing and some took it to be her real name. (Just my guess.)

Aug 20, 2000
I can imagine how easily that might happen. It would only take someone to call her sweetheart, even perhaps her mother, for it to be misunderstood.