Passenger lists

• Thread starter Mr Stephen Horrobin
  • Start date

M

Mr Stephen Horrobin

I'm currently trying to transcribe the original passenger lists to a easier to read format, and have a problem i hope someone can answer.
Does anyone know the name of the Emigration Officer and the Officer of Customs who signed the summary sheet.
Thanks in advance Steve

Dec 6, 2000
Hello Steve,

Welcome to Encyclopedia-Titanica. I read the Emigration Officer signature on BT 27/780B as JMA Clarke. - See the initials lower down on the page. On BT 27/776 as EJ Sharpe.
I have no idea who signed as the Officer of Customs on BT 27/780B.

I look forward to seeing the results of your transcription.
With my best wishes,
Lester

M

Mr Stephen Horrobin

Thanks Lester
As you read the signature as JMA Clark, which is how my Wife and Daughters see it, i will accept this as accurate.
The other signature will remain a mystery for the time being unless someone knows differently.
Have uploaded first page (page 4) for comments You will need Microsoft Works to read this.
Thanks again for reply.
Steve

<table border=1>[tr][td]
attachment_icon.gif
Transcribed passenger list
Titanic Page No 4.xlr (33.8 k)[/td][/tr][/table]​

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The full name of the BoT Emigration Officer who 'cleared' the Titanic at Southampton was Captain Maurice Harvey Clarke. His counterpart at Queenstown was called Eber Sharpe.

M

Mr Stephen Horrobin

Sorry Lester
In my haste to reply missed the E off the end, correct spelling is on my notes.
Thanks also to Bob for further info, still trying for Officer of Customs, waiting for reply from Southampton Customs.
Thanks again
Steve

Mick Molloy

Nov 29, 2002
Can anyone please tell me:
1. How many 1st, 2nd and 3rd class passengers boarded at Queenstown? Numbers in each group please. I am given to understand that the total was 112/113.
2. How many of each group of these 1st, 2nd and 3rd class passengers perished? I am given to understand that the total was 79.

Thank you

Mick

Dec 6, 2000
Hello Mick,

The Queenstown Boarding List has 2nd Class 7 and 3rd Class 113. To that we can add the Minahans who travelled 1st Class, making a total of 123.

Dr Minahan died as did all 5 of the 2nd Class male passengers. 3rd Class 73 died, making as you noted a total of 79.

Lester

Irene Moreira

Jan 19, 2009
Hi everyone, i would like to start research on passengers that was on the Titanic. To me it would be something like a hobby, something i would like to do with my extra time. Is there any advise anyone can give me on how to start this task, what info i should be looking for and where i can go apart from this great website.

Thank you very much!

Dec 5, 2008
Hi Irene! Welcome aboard!
happy.gif

As a relative newcomer to this site, the best advice I can give you is to simply start going through the numerous passenger bio's on this site written by members, which you can pretty much guarantee to be fully accurate; something I cannot say for the rest of the internet.

From there, just start wandering through the forums and check out threads that seem interesting to you.

If your not to sure about which passengers seem most interesting, just check out the threads themselves. The main players tend to have several sections dedicated to themselves. Take my word for it, it'll pretty much snowball from there! :p
happy.gif

As for other websites, I'm sure others can suggest good ones, however, I prefer to stay here. Both the information and the people are wonderful.

Hope this helps!
happy.gif

Irene Moreira

Jan 19, 2009
Hi Kat,

Thanks for the advise, i will start with that, and work my way through, and i think you are right the information and people are great. So nice to join a group that can talk about something that really interest them!

Thanks again,

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Hallo, Irene, and welcome. You might want especially to look for passengers (or crew members) who started out (or finished up) in the part of the world where you live. That gives you the possibility of researching local libraries and newspaper archives etc, and maybe even meeting and talking to family members.

Irene Moreira

Jan 19, 2009
Hi Bob,

I have a feeling that might be a much bigger task than you would think. I live in South Africa, but you never know i will go and have a look into it.

Thanks

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Maybe! But there were more than a few passengers with connections. Some born in South Africa, some started their journey there, others lived there at some time in their lives. Some of the crew had connections, too. Charles Ruskimmel, the Hebrew cook, was born in Cape Town.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
That's good. To help get you started, check out also 2nd Class passengers Elizabeth Brown and daughter Edith, Charles Chapman and Sydney Jacobsohn. All born I think in the Cape Province.