and Mrs Crosby accounts of the disaster, and Lady

Duff Gordon memoirs? I have already seen some bits

of Lady Duff memoirs but I can not find exactly

where I see it. Best regards,

Charles

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Charles!

Mrs. Harris' account appeared in the April 23, 1932 issue of 'Liberty' magazine. Mrs. Crosby's affidavit was included in the transcript of the
Senate Inquiry. Lady Duff Gordon's Titanic memoir appeared in her autobiography 'Discretions and Indiscretions.'

All my best,

George

D

Daniel Rosenshine (Danielr)

Hi!

My name is Daniel Rosenshine.

Hey George, I was too looking for those accounts, ie Harris and Duff-Gordon. I have known for years that Mrs Harris' account was in the "Liberty" magazine, and that Mrs Duff-Gordon wrote a book "Discretions and Indescretions", the only problem is actually finding those texts.

I don't know where to even start looking for the "liberty" magazine, and none of the libraries that I have visited had Mrs Duff-Gordon's book. Another book for which I looked and could not find was the book written by Mr Sloper, "The life and times of Andrew Jackson Sloper", in which Mr Sloper also tells of his own experience on the Titanic.

If you can help me further with obtaining those accounts, please e-mail me on [email protected]

Thank you,

Daniel.

M

MOHAMAD ASSAD TORFA

nformation about Torfa,Assad

please sent to me all the information about Mr. Torfa Assad , third class passengers non british/cherboug embarkment (top).
ex.: his age, his village, status, his father's name.
please don't give the insurance to any one because i am the only heritable:my name is mohamad ahmad assad torfa.
mr. assad torfa have one son his name is ahmad died 1948 and have a son his name is mohamad ahmad assad torfa.
Mr. assad torfa had travelled to argentine during 1909 and his news disapeared untill now , please tell me what to do
and what the documents to prepare it.
thank's you

my email: [email protected]
my second email:[email protected]
MY MAIL BOX: LEBANON,BEIRUT-P.O.BOX: 11/426 - ALI FAYAD CHEHADE

Ben

Mar 10, 1998
I have a hand written account of third Class passenger Laura Mae Cribb 17 on board the Titanic she lost her father. I am looking to donate this and some buttons of a pursers jacket she had she lived in my home town of Carlsbad New Mexico anyone want more information contact me [email protected] I am looking to donate to Titanic museum.

Mar 20, 2000
Lady Duff Gordon's autobiography is entitled "Discretions & Indiscretions." It was published in serial form originally in the "London Daily Sketch" in 1932 under the title "Lucile Lifts the Veil." Jarrold's, Ltd published it in book form in May 1932 and in the USA Frederick A. Stokes, Co. published it September 1932. It was a best-seller in biography, selected as a "book of the month" by "Publisher's Weekly" for October 1932. Only 3 small chapters out of some thirty odd are re: "Titanic." Lady Duff Gordon was still primarily known as the dress designer "Lucile," although she was retired by the time her book came out. The resurgence of interest in the "Titanic" has brought her name to the attention of many modern readers although few "Titanic" buffs seem to be aware of her fame as a designer. Many major fashion books reference her career - most recently "The Fashion Book" by Phaidon Press, "20th Century Fashion" by Valerie Mendes and Amy de la Haye,"The Thames & Hudson Dictionary of Fashion & Fashion Designers" by Georgina O'Hara Callan, "Vogue: 100 Years of Style by Decade & Designer" by Linda Watson, and "Decades of Beauty" by Kate Mulvey & Melissa Richards. These are all currently in print. There is also a dual bio of "Lucile" & her novelist sister Elinor Glyn called "The 'It' Girls" (1986). Pictures of the celebrated sisters were included in the National Portrait Gallery's (London)1998 exhibition "High Society, Photograhs, 1897-1914." The Museum of the City of New York also featured many of her designs in its 1999-2000 exhibition "Fashion On Stage - Couture on Broadway."

D

Daniel Rosenshine.

Randy, sounds very interesting. I'm sure that many Titanic buffs know her as a famous fashion designer.

I have now got a photocopy of her 1932 account from her memoirs, the three chapters, 13, 14 and 15. I have these due to a good friend. I also have the 1932 account of Mrs Harris, also due to another good friend.

Sincerely,

Daniel.

Mar 20, 2000
Dear Daniel,

I was not being critical of fellow buffs - but it does seem that until quite recently the only references to her in books on "Titanic" was as a "successful" dress designer. She was tremendously famous - something of a pop culture celeb, actually, ironic seeing as she is so little remembered today by most people. As you have copies of her "Titanic" story you surely have noticed how exaggerated some of her statements were about abandoning ship - very melodramatic and quite typical of her. She never let the facts rob her of telling a good story!

By the way, my research shows that"Lady Duff" (the pet name ascribed her in the American press) and Henry B. & Rene Harris were acquainted to some extent. In 1910 the New York papers mentioned that a series of special fashion shows were being put on at the "Lucile" salon in aid of the Actors Benevolent Fund for which Henry B. Harris was chairman. And in 1918 Mrs. Harris produced the Broadway hit "The Riddle: Woman," starring the then popular Bertha Kalich, for whom Mrs. Harris commissioned "Lucile" to design costumes. Just some probably useless trivia!

Bye,

Randy

Janet

Feb 21, 1998
Hi.....

We have been invited to a Titanic dinner...10 courses...on friday the 14th april.....
we have found some costumes now for the evening but there didn't seem to be much on this website in the way of fashion/clothes which the passengers wore on the actual voyage..
but it was very interesting all the same

Janet....

Janet

Feb 21, 1998
Mike....

The Titanic Evening was a great success..it was held at a resteraunt, here in the north of England, UK. which we got to regularly...all the staff were dressed in naval uniforms as were the guests...we all had an authentic ticket as we arrived and was piped aboard in naval fashion...we sat at the captains table I was Mrs Elizabeth Rothschild and my husband was Mr Joseph Ismay...we hired costumes for the evening and had a really enjoyable time as did everyone.

There was about 60 turned out for the evening but the same if not more was on a cancellation list.

Thanks for the reply...Janet

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Janet:

What a wonderful experience for you, Mrs. Rotschild. I hope you took pictures, and if you are a member of the British Titanic Society, will send an article describing the event to editor Brian Ticehurst.

Mike Herbold
Lakewood, California

L

linda johnson

hi,
I am trying to get information on a third class survivor named Sarah Rath. My daughter needs this for a school project. I can find her in different list but no other information. HELP!!!!
Thanks,
Linda and Richelle

K

Kathleen McNulty

Dear Linda and Rochelle

Sarah 'Rath' is, in fact, Sarah Roth, a third class passenger from Britain. She was rescued and later married Daniel Iles only days after her arrival in NY on board the Carpathia, with fellow-survivor Emily Badman as her bridesmaid.

Sarah Roth died as Mrs Daniel Iles in Connecticut in 1947.

Hope I have been of a bit of help!

Best wishes

Kathleen McNulty

Mar 10, 1998
Dear Linda,
Sara Roth was born on October 10, 1885 in London, England according to her death certificate--but I think that birthdate is suspect. She married Daniel Iles shortly after the Titanic disaster and they were the parents of a son, Albert Iles, born on December 9, 1914. She lived in Milford, Connecticut and was a housewife. She suffered from chronic kidney disease which caused her death on July 4, 1947. Her death certificate lists her as having been 61 years old at the time of her death but her obituary says she was 58. Her husband survived her until December 6, 1966 and her son Albert just died last year on February 28, 1999. She is buried in the King's Highway Cemetery in Milford, CT.

Here's her obituary taken from the "MILFORD CITIZEN" on July 5, 1947.

"Mrs. Sarah Iles, aged 58, wife of Daniel Iles of 20 Bertrose Avenue, Wildemere Beach, who was a survivor of the Titanic disaster of 1912, died Friday in the Houewell Nursing Home, Woodmont, after an illness of two years.

Services took place Monday at 10:30 a.m. in the Smith Funeral Home, with Rev. Irving Thursby officiating. Burial was in King's Highway Cemetery.

A native of London, England, Mrs. Iles was a passenger aboard the Titanic when it struck an iceberg and sank on its maiden voyage 35 years ago. She was enroute from Southampton to New York to be married to Mr. Iles, who had left England for the United States a year earlier. Mr. Iles located her in St. Vincent's Hospital, New York, after first reports listed her as a casualty of the ship disaster.

She had been a resident of Milford 20 years.

Mrs. Iles is survived in addition to her husband, by a son, Albert D. Iles, of Milford; two brothers, Harry Roth, of New York City, and Samuel Roth, in Australia.

I hope the above helps your daughter.

Phillip Gowan