1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information you’ve provided to them or they’ve collected from your use of their services. More information
    Dismiss Notice

Passengers Social Event - The Grand National Horse Race

Discussion in 'Passenger Research' started by Aaron_2016, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Aaron_2016

Aaron_2016 Member

I noticed a number of passengers sailed to England aboard the Olympic just in time to see the famous Grand National Horse Race at Aintree and then they sailed back to America aboard the Titanic. The race begins tomorrow, but back in 1912 the famous race was held on March 29th 1912. It was I understand a major social event in upper class circles. Mr. Ismay's brother owned race horses and his horse came in second. Does anyone know how many passengers would have attended the Grand National?

Here is a marvellous scene from 'My Fair Lady' - Set in 1912 during the Ascot opening race which took a few months later. Watch out for Lady Duff Gordon. :)

2. Dave Gittins

Dave Gittins Member

I suspect few Titanic passengers went to Ascot. The British passengers were mostly not from the upper classes. There were only three minor titled aristocrats on board and no exceptionally wealthy people. The British upper crust preferred Cunard, which was British and safer. Maybe Bruce Ismay went with his brother, but I doubt it.