Passengers you are drawn to pre and post tragedy

J

Jaime Croft

First…a very brief intro as this is my first post. I amazed at the wealth of information this site and boards provide! I am also rather tickled to find like minded…dare I say obsessed (grin)...people like myself. The Titanic has fascinated me for years, probably since my grandmother first told me the story as a child. It simply never dawned on me that a site such as this existed and I have greatly enjoyed all the reading I have done of the past few weeks.

On to my reason for posting… I have seen a number of posts discussing “who are your favorite passengers?” and have wondered how our lists have been affected by the sinking. If given the opportunity to interview/meet/talk with any of the passengers, who are you drawn to “pre-tradegy” and who are you interested in because of their involvement or actions during the sinking? Obviously, there are some people we never would have given a second thought to, or even had a knowledge of, if the ship had not met such a tragic end. How people behaved or mis-behaved during that event certainly changes our interest in them. I can’t help but wonder about all the events and stories we will never know of, simply because those involved did not survive. I wonder how many stories, tragic or heroic, went down with the ship.

Thank you again for this site and the opportunity to share and learn ~ Jaimí¨

T

Trent Pheifer

Welcome to the site Jaime! You sure can to the right place for your "obsession"

Pre-tradgey I would say the following people

1. Capt Smith
2. Thomas Andrews
3. J J Astor
The List could go on and on

As for post-disaster

1. Ruth Becker
2. Rosa Abbott
3. Lightoller
4. Lowe
etc etc lol I could go on forever......

Again welcome to the board, I look forward to your future posts.

-trent

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I can't say as I'm really drawn to the passengers so much as I am to the forensics and technical aspects of the disaster. If I could have a chance to meet and interview any of them, it would be any of the surviving officers, particularly those on watch at the time of the collision, as well as the surviving engineering staff.

Passenger-wise, I would hunt down any third class who were up forward when the Titanic struck ice, as well as Colonel Gracie and Lawrence Beesley. These two were particularly good observers.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Taking the line of who would me most interesting even if Titanic had arrived safely in New York, I'd most like to be chatting with Thomas Andrews about how he designed and built the Queen Mary. Perhaps also with Daniel Marvin about his continued rise to prominence as a mogul of the Hollywood film industry, and with Jacques Futrelle about how be became the greatest living writer of detective fiction. Lots of possibilities!

Mar 20, 1997
I agree with Bob on becoming interested in Jacques Futrelle for his career and his life before his untimely end and have read several of his books ordered from e-Bay.

Others from my favorites list whose lives pre-Titanic I found compelling were Mrs. Futrelle & the Harris', Edith Rosenbaum, Harry Widener, Edgar Andrew, Elizabeth Nye & August Wennerstrom. A family not on my original list but who I also found compelling were the LaRoche family because of their courage in living in those times with dignity in the face of all the prejudices in society at the time.

S

Susan Leighton

Dear Jaime,
Welcome to the ET message board. Good question! The person I would most like to talk to is Quartermaster Robert Hichens. He was at the wheel when Titanic struck the iceberg, and remained there [according to recorded testimony] until 12:23AM;...... 53 minutes after the collision. I think he heard much of the orders that lead up to the collision and he also heard what took place on the bridge AFTER the collision. He remained at the helm for almost an hour after Titanic hit the iceberg.
He ended up surviving the sinking in a lifeboat with Margaret (Molly) Brown, where he became the subject of a great deal of controversy and scrutiny regarding the intent of that lifeboat returning to the wreakage to rescue survivors. I believe he could have provided direct testimony as to what really occurred on the bridge that night, but, he was intimidated, and down-right too scared to tell the truth because he was afraid that he would be blamed for the disaster.
Phillip Gowan and Brian Miester wrote a great article on what happened to Robert Hichens after the disaster and it is available on this website. Robert Hichens is one of THE most intriguing figures of the Titanic disaster.
-Susan Y. Leighton

A

Angela Wandahsega

This is my first post and would like to say that I have enjoyed reading everyone's answers. I have been interested in the Titanic ever since I was a child and read the book "Raising the Titanic" it somehow completing fascinated me. I am researcher of family history now and have ran into a branch of my tree that corresponds to some passengers on the Titanic. I have yet to find the connection in our lines but am sure it is there somewhere. So pre-tragedy I would say the Strauss's or Astor's...post-tragedy I say the Hocking family Elizabeth,Nellie and George who tragicaly died in the sinking. They were from Cornwall and were on their way to Akron, Ohio. A very interesting note about Elizabeth is that 20 yrs to the day of the Titanic's sinking she was hit by a car and died April 15 1932. A coincidence or was she meant to die on that day...hmmmmm
Angela

Arne Mjåland

Oct 21, 2001
According to "Find a Grave" , browse by state, Ohio Elizabeth Hocking died April 15 1914.
There is half a page about Elizabeth there. Cause of her death: Hit by car, streetcar or a mugging (Bio by Glendale Cenmetery, Akron, Summit County, OHIO)

K

Karyn L. Ellis

Are any of you drawn to information about passengers because they believe they may have experienced the Titanic sinking in their past life ?

K

Karyn L. Ellis

OK thanks for the advice.......please forget that I asked the = question.......no more said about the subject. =