Past Lives and Titanic

N

Noelle K. Lantka

I just got to thinking...does anyone believe in past lives and further, do you believe that in another life, you were a passenger on the Titanic?

I remember seeing an Oprah episode about past lives and this one little boy that was 11 or 12 yrs. old that was petrified of loud noises...a diving board, garbage trucks especially. Long story short, the boy's parents didn't know where else to turn and took him to a therapist. Under hipnosis, he described battle field scenes from the Civil War so detailed, that he couldn't have read or seen the information anywhere. (They equated the fear of loud noises to the cannons firing.)

I do believe in past lives and w/ all the fascination so many people have with Titanic, I do believe it's possible.

Noelle

Reactions: 1 user
Jun 12, 2004
Noelle,

This theory has been discussed in some detail on these forums more than once, and although many have thought about it and are open to it, this is one subject that is a dangerous taboo to discuss here. Please be warned that you will get some negativity thrown back at you because of this - not from me because I don't judge, but from others here you are very sensitive about this topic. Just thought I'd let you know.

Take care.

--Mark

N

Noelle K. Lantka

Thanks Mark, I actually just found that thread after I posted here. I should have figured someone would have covered it already. I won't continue it unless someone keeps this post up.

Being brand new to ET, I don't want to make any enemies. Thanks again for the warning.

Noelle

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Discussion on the subject of reincarnation is not 'taboo' or forbidden by the rules of the forum.

In the past, however, it has caused problems on this board (and many others!), which is why many posters choose to avoid it as a subject. It evokes strong emotions and beliefs, and unfortunately has generated acrimonious discussion here.

As long as the discussion is conducted within the parameters of polite debate, there is no reason why you and others shouldn't post your beliefs on this subject, Noelle.

Jun 12, 2004
Well, that's what I was referring to when I said "taboo," Inger. The subject is just a flare which has caused some flaming on the forums in the past. I was merely making her aware of that. Just being careful and cautious.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Re-incarnation is I think an ok subject so long as it is kept separate from any discussion about events which reside in the realm of what most people consider to be reality. When members are discussing, for instance, what Murdoch might have been doing at a certain time it's a bit confusing when we start getting contributions from Murdoch himself!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
As belief systems go, I don't have a problem with reincarnation in and of itself. It's out there, and an integral part of an number of cultures and their religions. There may or may not be something to it but like any belief system based on faith alone, there's just no way of testing it by the evidence.

The part I have a problem with is when several people come in and claim to be the same person, then get into a board wide hissing contest over it. I mean really, how many Will Murdochs, Thomas Andrews, and Bruce Ismays can you have "living" at the same time?

Sooner or later, the math just doesn't add up.

N

Noelle K. Lantka

Michael, I completely see your point. I don't know why people would argue about it anyway...you can't prove that you are or were anyone so why press the issue?

Mark, again, thanks for the warning that some people might be offended by the post. And Inger, thank you for helping to make me feel welcome to discuss any topic on ET!

Noelle

Jun 12, 2004
Well, that said, I shall proceed...

They're not as much memories as familiar sensations, really - the distant sound of violin music playing; the feeling of plush carpet beneath me; the flickering of wall sconces; the cramped feeling of slowly working my way up a stairwell with many others; a slanting deck; a vast black wall of metal rising up along one side; the biting cold air; the sound of metal grinding and "booming" sounds popping in the darkness; the feeling of "alonenness" and desperation of being isolated in a life boat in a vast body of water at night, miles from anywhere... It all seems so familiar, and this was even before I began learning about the Titanic. As a matter of fact, the curiosity behind it drew me into Titanic.

As for who, definitely not someone important. Somehow the identity of a 10-, 12-, or 14-year-old-boy stands out to me, 1st- or 2nd-class, with the last name "O"-something, as in "O'brien," for example, although I don't remember there having been any "O'Briens" in 1st- or 2nd-class.

The sensations are vivid, but not cohesive. It's like they're latent or submerged and trying to put themselves together and come to the surface, like pieces of very old memories. Others I know are supportive of this and agree with the possibility that I just may have been on the Titanic.

I know I probably shocked the heck out of Inger and Michael with this, hehe. I never mentioned this before, because I knew how "Californian-ish" this issue has been here. Still, I don't claim it has happened; I only share personal feelings and experiences which bear similarities to that of Titanic. It's up to each one to determine whether he or she believes or not...

N

Noelle K. Lantka

Mark,

That is exactly the experience that I was hoping to discover through this post. Thank you for sharing that...I hope Michael and Inger are picking themselves up off the floor!

I remember reading a book about Titanic (maybe it was ANTR but I don't know...) I was only eight or nine yrs. old but I'll never forget flipping the page and seeing a picture of a first class cabin and how eerily familiar the photograph looked to me- just as if I were looking at a picture of my grandmother's house. The same thing happened again, years later, when I saw a picture of one of the second class lounges...I felt like I'd been in the room or seen it before.Just like you said...odd sensations.

I'm not going to say my love of sailing or my distaste for cold makes me a reincarnation of a Titanic passanger but the familiarity of some things...when reading facts for the first time how I feel like I knew that...it just gets me to thinking...

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The phenomenon you're both describing is known as déjí  vu and there is nothing in and of itself particularly remarkable about it. Human memory is not like some sort of cybernetic system wher what you get in is exactly what you get out. It's entirely possible, very probable even, that you've seen things like this (Let's face it, Titanic's cabins were not really all that different from any sort of edwardian decor, all of which you can see anywhere.) or had some similar experiences in this lifetime which you have forgotten otherwise which leaves this impression on the both of you which you have put together to create false memories.

Or you may lived in another time and place and experienced it for real. It can be a creepy feeling either way, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

N

Noelle K. Lantka

Michael, it's definetly not something to loose sleep over, you're right. And as I correlate the picture to my grandmother's house, it may just be that Mark and I have seen similar pictures else where.

I guess the point is and the interesting thing to think about is, you'll never really know. ;)

Noelle

May 1, 2004
I've had those uncanny feelings myself; but I attribute it to imagination rather than past life experience.

For instance: I've read a number of books about Titanic, Edwardian life and times, Sherlock HOlmes (If you listen when two Sherlockians discuss the canon, you'll find yourself doubting he was a fictional character.) and I've seen several movies set on Titanic or in the era. I've gone to Casa Loma and Spadina House, imagining that Major Peuchen dined there, or walked along Jarvis Street, and felt that tingling feeling that he was walking at my side, commenting on how much nicer the neighbourhood was when he was alive.
[I apologize to the Colonel for addressing him by his rank at the time of the sinking. After all, he might be reading this.]
The thing is, I have indulged in many 'what if I had lived then?' moments and 'How was it?'conversations with historical and imaginary persons. I can very easily imagine myself to have lived in 1912. I've done it for 1812, for 1837 and for 1934 and 1943. Sometimes I've felt disconnected to the present time - a strange and scary feeling. I'm 93% sure I'm fantasizing.
Because of that, I'm sceptical about past life stories. Possibly a few may be true memories - but I doubt they are. Those that do believe they have lived before are welcome to tell me their tales - but I will say they imagined them.

N

Noelle K. Lantka

Marilyn, the "What ifs" could really keep you thinking for a very long time! I think it would be hard for me to hear a story and someone say "In a past life I was on the Titanic" or here or there, believe them. You could wonder about it all you want, but to say without a doubt you know you were there, I'd have to agree with you and doubt them.

The supernatural, whether you believe in it or not, can't be proven so I guess you'd really have to have had a wild experience to even be somewhat persuasive in convincing others.

As I said before, I'm not sure if I believe in past lives or not but it's exciting to me to think that we could have lived in another time or place. I can't said I'd want to have been on the Titanic...not of course unless I could be sure I got on a lifeboat.

Noelle

Jul 12, 2003
Didn't now what to do with this topic. Please move it where it should be.

Anyway, was flipping the TV channels around a couple days ago and saw this program "In Search Of". Just as I landed on the channel, the announcer said they were gong to cover an item about a guy who claims to have lived before on the Titanic.

His name is Bill Barnes and he lives in New Mexico. Anyway, from what he says he gets "triggers" or memories from scents, sounds, etc. that ignite these memories of this past life.

His wife says he has called out in his sleep things like, "need to use a new code; use SOS".

His mother said that when he was a boy and she called him into the house calling out "Billy", he would correct her and say his name was Tommy.

He was put under hypnosis or what what was called "past life regression" and, while under, his voice had an Irish accent. He said he built the ship. He said that his name was Tommy Andrews. He said he talked to the captain about he ship listing. He said that Ismay asked him how he knows anything and he answered "because I built the ship!"

After coming out of hypnosis, Bill, without the accent, said that he didn't know anything about ships and how they worked.

Anyway, he wrote a book, "Voyage into History".

Not that I believe in past lives or reincarnation, but I found this very interesting. And it would be more interesting to learn if someone by the name of Tom Andrews worked on/built the ship.

[Moderator's note: This post, which was in another thread outside of this subtopic, has been moved here to the pre-existing one discussing the same subject. JDT]

Jul 12, 2003
I thought about my post a few hours later and just wanted to make a side note. When the gentleman claimed to be Tom Andrews, I didn't equate that with the designer. I thought he was an actual physical laborer on the ship. But, maybe he thinks he was the designer. Who knows?

Jul 12, 2003
Thank you Lisa. It looks very interesting. What also caught my eye is the other name on the book....Frank Baranowski. That is the surname of m 2g-grandmother. I've been researching my family genealogy for a long time so this will be an interesting avenue to look at.

Mindy Deckard

Aug 29, 2005
Okay, here is my slight Titanic-spiritual connection. I also posted a similar message in the Dreams thread but I left the juicy parts for in here!

When I was a little girl (like 5 or 6), before I got into the Titanic, I used to dream of a man in uniform. I would talk with him and he would smile at me and point to these doors and tell me to go find my mother. I never wanted to leave this man but I always ended up leaving him to go find her. I go find her and turn around to find him walking away, which makes me very upset...I am always a little girl in the dream. I have had this same dream about 1-2 times a month for about maybe 17 years now...creepy?

Pretty boring dream, right?

That was until I saw the book "Titanic, An Illustrated History" when I was around 12...then it got a little spooky.

You see, when I was little I didn't even know what the Titanic really was, except for the fact that it was a boat. However, when I looked through the book I recognized the man from my dream...

It was Second Officer Lightoller...exactly from my dream. This man looked EXACTLY like my guy from my childhood dream.

And believe it or not but I still have this dream, 11 years later.

I have been hooked on ships ever since.

I think, in some way, I knew Lightoller in a previous life or am connected to him in some cosmic way. I can't even look at a picture of him without getting chills...and not quite the good kind if you know what I mean...the scary kind...the I KNOW this person kind!!! Creepy.

I also assure you I am not insane and I am not lying. You can ask my mom
happy.gif

Reactions: 1 users

Lisa Kraner

May 26, 2005
Deborah, glad I could be of help....for some reason you were meant to read that book....good luck and let me know how it goes w/your family research.