Past Lives

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rachel Kile

Hello, I was not sure where to start this post but, I was wondering if any one has every thought of having a past life. And if so have you ever thought about what if you where a passenger on board the Titanic? I have always thought that is why I am so facinated with the Titanic. ( If there is a post on this topic already please, let me know. ) Thanks so much. Looking foward to your feedback.

Rachel

Mar 20, 2000
Oh Rachel,

No, no, no. Please!
happy.gif

Yes there is a thread somewhere, hopefully tidily locked up.

You are not alone in feeling as you do about reincarnation and Titanic. But you must know that there have been huge skirmishes here over this subject which is about as controversial as the subjects of salvage or the Californian. It is not popular here at all.

But you will make many friends here. Don't worry about that. There are believers in reincarnation among us. I am one. So is Paul Rogers and a few others. We do not make much of it here on the board out of respect for others.

So don't feel you will not be accepted. Just be careful about this subject here.

All my best wishes and welcome to ET!

Randy

Dave Hudson

Apr 25, 2001
Rachel,

Hello and welcome!

You are very welcome here, but listen to Randy. The "R" word is a very controversial one and it's best left alone.

happy.gif

David

R

Rachel Kile

Hello Randy and David.
Thanks for the warning. I hope to meet alot of new people on here. I am sorry to hear that this can be a controversial subject. But, I am glad that I joined.
Thanks for the welcomes and feedback..

Rachel

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Re-incarnation is a very controversial topic which I've aquired quite the distaste for lately. The recent experience with one claimant here on ET has not been a happy one.

As this is something which is unknowable by any testable evidence...so far...my own stand on the topic is "No opinion". This opinion is subject to change depending on whether or not new discoveries arise to confirm or refute.

Don't let that discourage you from participating though. The "R" topic may be taboo because of recent unpleasent experience, but there is plenty here to satisfy ones appitite for the subject whether it's the passengers, the general history of the times, ocean liners overall, or the ship herself. As one of the resident techies, my interests tend towards the latter.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Mar 10, 1998
I think there can be but little doubt that I'm reincarnated from that nameless guy next to little Ned Parfett :).

May 8, 2001
A little too much California sun, and unsweetened tea, eh Phil?
eh.gif

Or... wait... how was that again??? Me thinks young Phil has been into the cough syrup a little too much today.
proud.gif
Colleen

Mar 10, 1998
Well, what can I say--there IS a picture proving what I claim, but I can't get it to upload. Maybe Phil H. will help.

I think in another past life I was a Dutch Lop too. Something about my ears suggests it.

Phil

J

Jemma Hyder

I for one once had an itch behind my left ear the other day and have always had a distinct dislke for swimming in freezing water, I therefore announce myself as JJ Astor's pet pooch.

J

Jemma Hyder

Evidently my past life as a mutt excuses my grammatical skills above lol

Jul 14, 2000
Deja vu. Its like I keep reading this same thread over, and over.

Deja vu. Its like I keep reading thi... AAAGGGGHHH!!!

Yuri

<font color="ff6000">Yuri

Stop that! I'm the real Yuri!

<font color="ff6000">No, I am.

NO, I AM!

<font color="ff6000">Nope. I'm Yuri. And I can prove it. Just give me a few months.

ENOUGH, I am the one and only YURI!!

<font color="ff6000">Well I was here first.

Watch it, or I'll have your leg!

<font color="ff6000">Chicken, chicken!

RIGHT! "Thwack!"

<font color="ff6000">HEY! I'LL DO YOU FOR THAT!

You'll what!??

<font color="ff6000">Come on! Come ON!

Oh hop off!

<font color="ff6000">Come back! You jealous non-yuri person!

"Thwack!"

<font color="ff6000">...Oh boy! Now I'm angry.

You are not Yuri. I am Yuri.

<font color="ff6000">How do YOU know I'm not Yuri?

Because just like your claim to be
someone you're not, YOU don't have a leg
to stand on.

<font color="ff6000">...??

You ARE the weakest link. Goodbye.

Mar 20, 2000
There are people who aren't loons who believe in reincarnation. It's a part of several major religions. Even some Christians like myself believe in it. Personally, it is integral to my understanding of life. All the jokes in the world could not shake my belief in it. It's unfortunate that one misinformed, obtrusive individual has caused this subject to be open to such levity.

Randy

L

lisagay harrod

Randy,

Kudos for your tact and intellect regarding such a controversal subject. As members of this forum we should strive to remain open-minded and civil. A little levity is fine as long as it doesn't demean others. Your post here serves as a good example.

Yuri, are you trying out your new stand-up routine for us? : )

Randy, I'm new to the board and find that you are our resident pro on Edwardian culture, dress and customs, particularly Lady Duff-Gordon and company. Did I understand correctly that you have a book forth-coming? When is it due to be released? If I've been remiss and the info has been posted previously, please forgive me...

Sorry for straying from the thread...

I'm on this board because my fascination for Titanic, which began at the age of twelve, started with a dream that knocked me for a loop. I won't go into here, but suffice it to say I went to the library the next day, checked out ANTR, and have been hooked ever since. There ARE things about the Titanic that go beyond the technical and purely historical...

Cheers,
Lisa Harrod

Sep 20, 2000
Randy: If it's any consolation to you, as I've said in the past, I firmly believe that's as plausible as any other spiritual belief around.

My own impression is that the problems that occasionally arise here have very *little* to do with a belief in reincarnation! Those unfortunate incidents stem from people who make the whole-hearted transition from a generalized *belief* to assertions of supposed *fact*, based solely on their beliefs. ["I think, therefore it happened." Rene DeCrap]

This is where things broke down here a while back, with someone adamantly assuring us of first-hand, *factual* information related to the disaster, when, as it turns out, it was actually "gleaned" from a home-spun version of past-life regression. (Oh, what a merry chase that one was!)

Myself (by the numbers) if reincarnation *were* factual, I'd betcha I might have been Jack Thayer. I was born exactly 10 years and 10 days after his "suicide". And I *still* don't really believe that *was* a suicide; in fact the whole sequence of events surrounding his death bothers the bejeebers out of me. But then, I don't really *believe* I'm Jack (or claim to BE him), though it's a tantalizing notion.

That, in my mind, is the difference. If somebody (a la William Barnes) comes here, and says, "I was Captain Smith!", I immediately write off their credibility. (Because there is no way to prove this.) If they instead said, "I've often *felt* I was Captain Smith in a past life", well that's OK. No fiction there -- it may well be an honest statement of fact for them.

Maybe we should refine our terms a little here, folks. There's as much difference between reincarnation (the belief) and unqualified allegations of specific, past-life experiences as there is between typical Judeo-Christian concepts of the afterlife and insistence on having communicated with the dead via trance-medium!

(By the way, did I tell you I was talking to Harry Houdini just the other day?) ;^)

But seriously, you are correct, Randy. Based on global demographics, I'd guess that believers in reincarnation far outrank the Heaven-and-Hell "one-stop shoppers". And after all, folks, National Geographic hasn't produced *any* documentaries on the "Nether Regions" yet. (Have they??)

Cheers,
John

Sep 20, 2000
Jemma wrote: "...I therefore announce myself as JJ Astor's pet pooch."

Now, now, Kitty! Strictly speaking, that would constitute "Re-Animism", which incorporates the additional possibility of an inter-SPECIES makeover. There you'd definitely be in the religious minority. (Though I must say, I've always thought it seemed a lot fairer myself.)

On the other hand, I seriously doubt that anyone here will object too stringently to your occasional claims of "Woof! Woof woof! Woof woof woof!" ;^)

Cheers,
John

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
I'm inclined to concur with Randy and John. I'd hate to see any subject become taboo on the board because of the antics of a few individuals who asserted belief as fact and then became quite annoyed when their beliefs/facts were disputed.

It's regretable that many of us here - both on and off the board - have had the misfortune to run into people professing a belief in reincarnation that is more akin to wish-fulfillment fantasy ('I was famous in a past life! I could'a been a contender...hell, I *was* a contender!'). Worse still, there have been instances where purportedly historical material has been fabricated in order to support the supposedly reincarnated individuals version of the past. The so-called 'Evans diary' is one of the more notorious incidents, but there have been others. The foremost Philips researcher - a poster on this board - is still contending with an almost entirely fabricated version of his life and character, based on the claims of past life memories. These demonstrably false 'memories' have been published on the net, and picked up by many with an interest in the subject who are unware that their source is one young woman's imagination. I know of at least two versions of the final moments of James Moody's life.

Individuals like this make a mockery of those who hold profound theological beliefs that incorporate the doctrine of reincarnation. As I've said before, it's rather as if someone quaffed a quart of Hunter Valley red, chewed on a bit of fresh toasted ciabatta, and pronounced themselves a Roman Catholic on the strength of it.

Let's hope that past poor experiences don't deter reasonable and reasoned discussion on this subject, however! For those with a genuine belief, who don't press their belief on others as 'fact' and attempt pollute the historical record with memories of dubious merit, there should always be a place on ET.

Status
Not open for further replies.