Paul huchins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Hutchins

Apr 15, 2002
hi everyone,
just discovered this website.Always had a fasination with the Titanic after my great gran told me of her brother perishing on the ship.He was a stocker by the name of Smither.I am also born and bred in Southampton.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I just checked the bio on Smither and there's not a lot there beyond his presence and the fact that he was there. Perhaps as a research project, you could try to gather some information on him using family sources as a base and going on from there.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

D

Deleted member 173198

Hello Paul,

Welcome aboard!

Nice to see a fellow Hampshire Hog like myself, whose situated within a radius of ten miles from the port of the Southampton.

I support the view of Mike Standart and perhaps a research project would be beneficial. Once all your resources are drained with your immediate family, then turn your attention by knocking on the door at the Archives, situated directly beneath the Civic Centre Library.

If all should fail, then I'll be only to happy to give you the necessary guidence you require.

Best wishes

Andrew W.

Paul Hutchins

Apr 15, 2002
Hi micheal and Andrew,
thanx for the warm welcome.Sadly lost my nan and grandad recently so havent got much imformation .My dad told me that Harry Smither was 18 when he died.Apperantly he was out of work at the time of the sailing and went too the docks to get work on the Titanic.There was no work available at the time, but a stoker fell ill with Appendicitus and Harry replaced him,such is fate?Th other guy survived but sadly Harry was killed.His body was never recovered, so i guess he was one of those trapped in the boiler room, when the doors were sealed.I will look more into it, thanx
Paul

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Paul, I suspect that Fireman Smither either remained at his post to the end or simply wasn't one of the lucky ones to get a seat on the boat. Closing the watertight doors wouldn't have trapped anyone as there were escape ladders in every compartment as well as the normal access routes.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Paul Hutchins

Apr 15, 2002
Thanx for imforming me of that Micheal.I havent done any real research, yet, only read a few books.Im sure this site will be more revealing than the books i have read.There seems to be so many conflicting stories as to what happened on the ship before and after it sunk. I hope to be more enlightened by reading some of the treads.

Best wishes
Paul

C

Christine Geyer

Dear Paul,

welcome onboard. Yes it would be amazing if you could find out more about your granddad and to bring to light about his life. Sad that you have no more chance to ask your granny personally.

Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Many regards
Christine

Hoping

Paul Hutchins

Apr 15, 2002
Hi Christine,
thanx for the welcome,
It wasnt my grandad that was lost on the titanic but my great uncle.Im far too young for it to have been my grandad, lol
proud.gif
)
I gather now that my great uncle was 22 and not 18, when he died, thanx Andrew for rectifying that mistake..My dads memory must be failing.
It seems i have a lot of threads to get through.

There has been a running story in our local newspaer all this week,concerning the people of Southampton, who worked or were passengers on the Titanic.Makes for an intersting read.It seems strange knowing the areas, even houses where the people lived who were involved.

best wishes

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.