Paul Louden Brown's White Star Line book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2002
How is that book about the White Star Line written by THS officer Paul Louden Brown?

The THS reviews the book be saying Brown is the worlds expert on White Star Line- Awfully high praise....

somehow I think nothing can top the Roy Anderson book "White Star".(the foldout of the planned Oceanic supersip was very nice)

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Tarn,

I bought this book a couple of months ago at a THS weekend event which I had Paul inscribe for me. I haven't read it yet, but I have gone through it and it looks quite extensive and well researched. Their is definitely a lot of photos in the book.

With all the Titanic research material that I need to read, it's going to take me awhile to get to this book, but I look forward to it.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Oct 13, 2000
there are actually two kinds of White Star Line history books, those that concentrate on the story of the ships of the line, and those that focus on the story of the company itself. Louden-Brown's book is an example of the former, Anderson's an example of the latter.

also remember Louden-Brown's book is The White Star Line an Illustrated History. the focus of this work is the pictures. the text is relatively abbreviated to make room for all those wonderful images. I agree with Mike S., Louden-Brown's book is a must have. it is by far the best illustrated history of the ships of the White Star Line ever printed.

histories of the company itself are much harder to come by. Anderson's White Star is still the very best history of the company ever printed. Oldham's book is the other great one.

hope that helps you make a decision!
Michael (TheManinBlack) T

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
the text is relatively abbreviated to make room for all those wonderful images

This sums up my reaction to it as well. The illustrations are magnificent and the book is well worth the price for that reason alone. The text, as far as it goes, is also good, although I've found what I believe to be half a dozen or so factual inaccuracies.

But...many of White Star's ships are not mentioned AT ALL, even in the fleet list which appears at the back of the book. For example, neither of the Gaelics and none of the first three Belgics are referred to anywhere. There's relatively little to be said about some of White Star's ships, I know, but it's disappointing that, at the very least, there's not a complete fleet list.

Status
Not open for further replies.