Paul Rogers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Greetings all.

I'm only doing this as the Brits appear so desperately outnumbered!

I'm 37 years old, married with three young children. I live in West Sussex, England, about 100 miles from Southampton. My gainful occupation is as a training consultant for a small UK bank.

As a kid, I was fascinated by the stories of the WWII U-Boat Aces and the development of subs in general. I discovered Titanic in 1980-ish after reading Clive Cussler's "Raise The Titanic." (Sad, but true!) I went to the local library and borrowed every book I could find on the topic, and an obsession was born!

My family takes up most of my spare time (which is how it should be, I guess) and I have yet to do any reseach over and above reading everything on which I can lay my hands about the Big T. I am humbled constantly by the depth of knowledge demonstrated by the regular contributors to this site and Message Board. I hope to be able to post the results from some genuinely new research myself one day. (Just wait until the kids have grown up a bit!)

Mar 20, 2000
Hello Paul,

Or is it "Hullo" there? Yes, England needs to keep up or they'll lose out to the Texans!

Great to hear from you.

Randy

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
:) Hallo, Paul -

As of a month ago, I can now claim dual UK/Oz citizenship...so in this instance I'll weigh in on the side of my Hammersmith Hospital birthrights to help redress the balance.

Anyone who came to be interested in the Titanic through as novel a means as...well...Cussler's novel has to be a valuable addition :)

Ing

E

Elaine Barnes

Hi Paul,
I have to admit, I became interested in Titanic after reading the same book, so don't feel bad.
Sincerely,
Elaine

P

Paul John Rogers

Hi Inger
happy.gif

I don't know if you'll agree, but I thought that Cussler did a fair bit of research for his novel. Considering they hadn't found the wreck at the time, he didn't make too many errors really! (Just simplified everything tremendously regarding the finding and raising of 45k tons of rusting iron!)

Hi Elaine
happy.gif

I KNEW I couldn't be the only one!!

Paul.

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Please note that I can take no responsibility for any damage to others' monitors caused by the viewing of this image...

Let's see if this works:
your_image.gif

If you can see this, it's not a bad photo...you can't see the rapidly expanding bald patch at the back!

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
er Paul, do you want to email me that picture and I'll put it up for you!
happy.gif

I don't know what the problem is but you may be having problems because I have intentionally set the size limit quite low (20kb) for uploaded pictures. Big images slow everything down.

Nov 2, 2000
Hi Paul! I had the same problem with posting an image. Now I see it's because it was too large likely. I feel the same way you do about research. I just don't have the time with the kids. Maybe, when they grow up, we'll collaborate on something =-)

Michael.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Poor Phil...suddenly little images of trees, the sun and folders are springing up all over the board like exotic mushrooms!

Of course, I wasn't even game enough to even attempt to post an image, so my hat's off to those who did :)

Inger

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Phil: Thanks for the offer; I've emailed you that picture now. It's just over 20kb, so it's quite small.

Michael: You're sooo right. It's the time that I don't seem to have these days. I was reading "Titanic At 2" at 1.30am last night; first chance I'd had all day to pick up a book. I also have to fight three children aged between 4 and 11 (as well as their mother) to get access to the PC!

Hi Inger. You'll regret my attempts to post a photo once you've seen it!
happy.gif

Sep 12, 2000
Oooooooh....aaaaaaaah. Wow, Paul that is a very fine photo and thanks Phil for helping so we could "meet" Paul.

You look quite handsome sir!

Thanks for sharing.
Maureen.

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Hey Maureen, that's the magic of digital photographic manipulation! All I did was spray on a bit of "hair," whiten up those teeth, paint a pupil on the glass eye, and job's a good'un.
happy.gif

Seriously, it's Mrs R. (Carol) who's the good-looking one. And, (thank God), all our kids take after her and not me!

Paul (The Bells, Master! Esmerelda!)

Sep 12, 2000
Wow, thanks Paul and Carol, that would be very nice. I believe that I remember you posting that you are in or near Southhampton and that is a place that I do wish to visit someday.

Enjoy your day today!
Maureen.

Status
Not open for further replies.