Paul Tragurtha

Julie Goebel

Feb 24, 2007
Does anyone have any information on this ship? I think I must be a freighter because she stops and picks up iron ore and such. When she stopped at Duluth, MN (where I used to live) the horn about blew me out of my shoes. I have seen big ships before but this sucker is impressive!

Feb 7, 2005
I had the opportunity to tour the M/V Paul R. Tragurtha when she was christened as the M/V William J. De Lancey in Lorain, Ohio, way back in 1981. It was the first time I'd ever been on board a Great Lakes vessel of any size, and she made a big impression on me (no pun intended!). We had to wait in a long, long line before climbing a set of temporary stairs to the deck. As a "footer," she was impressive in every way (she still is the longest vessel on the Lakes). Everything about her was amazing. I particularly remember how huge the pilot house was--it stretched from one side of the boat to the other. The view through the pilot house windows from high above her deck was spectacular. Being brand new, she was dressed in pennants and bunting. It was a very exciting day--I'll never forget it!

Since then, I've seen her many times as the Paul R. Tragurtha on the lakefront here in Cleveland, Ohio, and also when she's been just north of Detroit, Michigan on her trips to the Detroit Edison power plant on the St. Clair River (we vacation in that area). It's been 26 years since the day I boarded her in Lorain, and she's still a magnificent sight!

Denise

Julie Goebel

Feb 24, 2007
Thank you so much for that info on that great ship. I miss the horns the most. I don't get those in Phoenix. My daughter was wondering why some ships have pointy bows and some have rounded, I had no educated answer for her. I couldn't even BS my way though, so I was hoping someone could help.

Can I post this for home sick desert dwellers? I know its not Tregurtha but it sounds close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2qgZSlq1EU

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I couldn't even BS my way though, so I was hoping someone could help.<<

I can think of two reasons offhand, not the least of which is that a blunt bow is much better at going through ice. The other would be purely economic in that a form like this can carry that much more cargo. Since these ships aren't designed to be speed demons, the blunt hull form isn't really a problem.

There may well be other reasons so bear in mind that what I'm offering here is speculation.