May 12, 2002
Hi there!

I've been lurking here for a good couple of years
now, waiting until I had something useful to
post! My interest in Titanic goes back to when
the wreck was discovered and reading the articles
in my Dad's Nat Geogs. Since the movie, the glut
of titles in cheapo bookstores means I now have a
respectible library on Titanic and other liners.

Anyway, back to the useful bit. I've been
collecting information and pictures of the
proposed 3rd Oceanic for a while, and have
finally gotten around to getting it on the web.
Go to

http://homepage.ntlw orld.com/paul.wilkin son/oceanic.html

if you're interested. I hope you like it. (You
can also find pictures of our cat ... I was
learning a little HTML!)

Cheers

Paul

Aug 29, 2000
Thanks for those Paul- come on out of the shadows more often. She reminds me a bit of Georgic and Britannic with a touch of Normandie thrown in on the funnels. Nice to see a three stacker- so graceful in silhouette. Ah, she coulda been a contender!

May 12, 2002
Hi Shelley,

Glad you liked the site. Georgic and Brittanic were indeed built to resemble Oceanic. I think she was a nice looking ship too. Pity she never happened.

Thanks for your encouragement as well, I'll try to delurk every now and again!

Remco Hillen

Dec 13, 1999
Hello Paul,

Welcome!

I like the site, good to see something on Oceanic.
Somehow that ship interests me.
Are you going to try and expand the website?

Regards,
Remco

May 12, 2002
Hi Remco,

That's all the info and pictures I have at the moment. If I get hold of any more, I'll put it up asap.

When I get round to finishing it off, I'll be putting up my analysis of the propagation of the sound of Titanic's distress rockets. It's a small point in the Californian story, but both Dave Billnitzer's (otherwise excellent) website (and also "The ship that stood still") get this "simple" physics (his words) totally wrong! See how brave I am, wading into the Californian issue within a few days of being here!

Cheers

Paul

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Paul,

I have been around here for two years now. Mike Standart and Tracy Smith and I wrote an article on the Californian. Becareful!!! You WILL be in for a interesting debate. A debate that for the most part I stay out of now.

Erik

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Ahhhhh....wow. To deal with the Californian Incident is to go where angels and even some demons fear to tread. I'll be looking forward to whatever you have to say on the matter.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
You know it is kind of sad that some of us have to dread the Californian debate. But then again whenever there are a lot of emotions at stake I can see why.

Erik

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Emotions and years of research. This is an area where nobody really wants to be "proven" wrong when the interested parties have so much invested in it. All the if onlys, all the what ifs...

Trouble is, can we really trust what we see in the evidence available? Did the principles actually involved know and understand what they witnessed? Accusations and counter-accusations of lies and agendas fly back and forth from both sides, and I can't say they're entirely misplaced. Objectivity seems to have been the first casualty of this whole sorry mess.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Paul,

Welcome aboard! That's a good looking site you have. I agree with Michael and Erik, the Californian has always been and will continue to be a hot debate.

It's good to hear from you and I look forward to your posts.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Don't be to frightened Paul,

Most of us are nice and kind. Although Mike is known to put the parate on his shoulder and make people walk the plank.

Erik

L

lisagay harrod

Paul,

Welcome! Enjoyed your site very much...she would have been grand, wouldn't she? I enjoyed Mr. Cooks' artwork as well.

I'm a newbie myself, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the board as much as I'm learning to. Various and asundried researchers, theorists, enthusists, teachers, sailors and "pirates" abound. Dive right in...the (Californian) water's fine!
; )

Cheers,
Lisa Harrod

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Don't forget the occasional mail bag, key to the locks and human radar testing.

But really I am nice guy, no really I am.

Erik

May 12, 2002
Hi guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've not yet finished
the calculations (my first stab used a flat Earth -
cue remarks about typical physics theorist!) The
flat surface means I can write down the relevant
formulae, for a curved Earth, I've got to write
some code to do it numerically. As I do this kind
of stuff most of the day, almost every day, it's
difficult to get the enthusiasm going when I get
home from work!

Just to nail my colours to the mast early on, I'm
of the firm opinion that Californian saw Titanic's
rockets, of the pretty firm opinion that Californian
was the mystery ship and of the not-terribly-firm
opinion that they were separated by about 10 miles.
Does that help ? ;-)

Cheers

Paul

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Paul,

That is a popular stance. One that I happen to agree with. But be prepared as we don't hold the majority.

Erik

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Saw the rockets...some at least...yes. Distance of seperation....hard to tell. Even among Lord's critics, there doesn't seem to be any real agreement, and we already know what Lord's supporters think. I can't say that I'm comfortable with any of them anymore. You might want to read Dave Gittins remarks on the matter and the problems at http://users.senet.c om.au/~gittins/calpo s.html

Mystery ships make interesting fodder for debate and I'm not prepared to say there weren't other players. Witnesses on board both ships claimed that "their" mystery ship was moving. (Other then to drift with the current, Titanic and Californian never moved.) The problem is that if there was another player or players, we don't know who they were, and it's not necessarily exculpatory for the Californian in any event, but it would certainly explain some of the confusion on the Californian's bridge that night if somebody was poking about in the icefield.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

May 12, 2002
Erik, Michael

I recognize I'm in a minority, but I having read Reade, and Dave Gittins and Dave Billnitzer's websites, I'm finding it difficult to come to any other conclusion. I just can't imagine that the rockets Californian saw came from any other vessel. That said, I still intend to try to get hold of Senan's new book.

Cheers

Paul

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Maybe if Mike is nice he will let me borrow Senan's new book after he is done reading it.

Erik

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Well Erik, if you send the appropriate bribe...oops; uh donation to my "retirement" account in the Cayman Islands, we just might be able to make a deal. (Cash please, and in small old unmarked bills.)

Seriously, I'll bring it along for our gathering. I think you'll find it interesting.

Paul, I don't think anyone questions anymore that the rockets observed were fired by the Titanic. The question is; how were they perceived on the Californian and why didn't what they observed alarm them in any way? Stone and Gibson watched them for half an hour befor they even troubled themselves to say anything to Captain Lord about them. What was it about what they observed that snookered them? That's what bugs me in this instance. We can look at the events with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, but the principles involved didn't have that sort of clarity to work with. They only knew what they saw, not necesserily what it meant.

Good old confusion....ya gotta love it!
lame.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Status
Not open for further replies.