PAX TV Titanic Special May 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeanne Nagel

May 31st at 9 PM eastern time, PAX TV will have a special called "Encounters-World's Weather...Titanic."
paxtv com/sch edule/default.cfm? date=5/31/2002

Cheers,

:) Jeanne

Connie Hedges

Apr 14, 2002
Jeanne, Thanks for posting this. I would have missed it. I just took a look at the show recap. It's a take on the Titanic mystery that I have never heard: Diamonds and a German U-boat. I'll be watching. :eek:)

J

Jeanne Nagel

Hey, gals, thanks! I saw it & I saw my buddy Dan Cherry on there! I met him in April! I was excited to see him!

Cheers,

:) Jeanne

Connie Hedges

Apr 14, 2002
I watched the show and it reminded me of something I had heard before: the people on the iceberg. I had heard that before and it makes perfect sense to me that people would climb on it. I would have myself rather than go into the water. I always wondered why Captain Lord didn't go investigate. He couldn't possibly have seen that far. I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy for the man. He could have done a lot more whether there was another ship in the area or not. Strange isn't it how other ships were able to navigate that area. If he had at least checked out the 'seals' I would feel kinder toward him. I think he blew it again. I've read the reports in the inquiries and he just seemed not to want to be bothered.

The other thing that bothers me is the life boat they said a ship found with people that had cork from their lifepreservers in their mouths. Another miss by The California? I hate to think of the people living through freezing, only to starve to death.

The U-boat? Well, it's something to think about. There were reports of explosions that were assumed to be boilers. Will we ever find out? I wonder.

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
I didn't get to see it, but I hear that they'll let just about anyone on television anymore. Must be a ratings thing.

Dan,
Congrats on being projected into people's living rooms! I'm sure dogs everywhere ran for cover and little children cried. But you know how it is. :)

What's this about a U-boat?

Josh.

Mar 20, 2000
the show was awful. there wasn't a real historian in the bunch. totally full of crappola they were. the u-boat idea is bollocks. and so is the 'people on an iceberg' theory. all of it a complete disappointment. just sheer sensationalistic, tabloid drivel.

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
First of all, the ship was the Californian, not the California. Secondly, please don't second-guess the motivations and inner thoughts of Captain Lord, as such things cannot be proven one way or the other. And the man isn't here any more for anyone to ask him what he was thinking. Thirdly, you might want to take a closer look at Captain Lord's career, which was absolutely spotless save the accusations leveled against him in regards to the Titanic sinking, which are still debated to this day. He has been judged to be a competent mariner, even by his foremost critic, Leslie Reade, and was not the heartless monster you seem to think he was. Even most of his critics merely believe that he was guilty of bad decisions and was not an evil man. You might want to read the research article on this site that I co-wrote with Michael Standart and Captain Erik Wood for more details about Stanley Lord's career and to consider other details of the Californian's role in the Titanic disaster.

So far as the "people on the ice floe" story goes, I would suggest you read up on the facts of hypothermia.

http://www.ussartf.o rg/cold_water_surviv al.htm

It has been stated that this ice floe sighted was about a mile from the wreck site. There are several problems with a group of people making it to such an ice floe. It was the middle of the night, and as the folks with experience at sea will tell you, one doesn't know the meaning of dark until they've experience it in midocean. This means that any such people in the water wouldn't even have seen the floe to even attempt to swim there.

The water was 28 degrees, which will not allow a human being to survive for very long, unless they get out of the water in fairly short order. This is why the most of the men on the overturned collapsible were able to survive; the overturned boat was right there, which limited their time totally exposed to the water. People trying to swim for an ice floe about a mile away, would become numb, disoriented, and become unconscious long before they could complete such a swim in 28 degree water. Swimming causes the body to lose heat rapidly and the people would have also been weighted down by their heavy clothing. They wouldn't have been able to swim that distance, then have the dexterity to haul themselves aboard a slippery ice floe, let alone be up and moving around those many hours after the ship had gone down. Yes, there are hardy souls who beat the survival expectations odds for those immersed in cold water, but those hardy souls were on Collapsible B, nearly at the end of their rope, when they were picked up by lifeboat shortly before being rescued by the Carpathia. They weren't on an ice floe nearly a mile away to be allegedly ignored by Captain Lord (and Captain Rostron, whom you seem to have forgotten).

Sep 12, 2000
Wow Tracy. Some good stuff there.

Connie, I have no clue if you have access to film footage of an Air Florida plane that crashed on take off from the then Washington National Airport into the icy waters of the Potomac back in the early 1980's. There is some footage that some news people I believe took of a young stewardess. She had been in the freezing icy water for so long that she was totally disoriented and this was only minutes after the plane crash. A man helped her to get to the rope being dropped to her by a helicopter, but the man died due to exposure and she fell through the roped back into the water. A man on the land jumped into the water to save her as she began reaching at the air and not knowing where she was or what she was to do. The ropes dangled right there, but she did not seem to know what to do.

The stewardess was saved. The man who jumped in did do with a rope tied to his waist and to a tree so that he would not suffer the same fate.

This air crash happened in daylight and the ground is not far away from where the crash site was. The stewardess was probably less than an olympic sized pool lap from being near ground and yet she did not have the mental capacity to save herself.

But even if by some miracle there were people on bergs (for the sake of argument) many ships came by to see what they could do.

Hope this helps. I missed the program.

Maureen.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I heard some stuff about the program from Kyrila and it sounded really awful. We don't have Pax TV up here in Canada, so I couldn't watch it.

Dan, Congratulations on being interviewed!

Josh, from what Kyrila told me it said that the Titanic was hit by a torpedo from a U-boat and that's why she sank. I've heard of everything!!

Good stuff their Tracy.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The Titanic hit by a torpedo from a U-boat? I've heard of revisionism taken to extremes but jeeze! Perhaps they confused the Titanic for the Britannic? The mine vs. torpedo thing is still debated a bit.

If this thing comes on again, I'll have to make some time to watch it.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Oh, yeah, Michael! These amazing revelations were straight out of that righteous journalistic newspaper, the Weekly World News. I'm surprised they left out the story of the KKK skeletons found in the Titanic life ring, or the baby that was found in a lifering 85 years after the sinking. And the way they manipulated Dan Cherry's and Bill Garzke's words into agreeing with their amazing theories was sheer talent! You had to see it to believe it. And to think a man of such caliber as Jerry Orbach narrated the whole thing. What's amazing still, you can buy the video for $19.99 and it will reveal even MORE STARTLING evidence!

Kyrila

Connie Hedges

Apr 14, 2002
I'm entitled to my opinions and I'm sticking to them. Sorry for the typo on the Californian!

I have heard the ice floe theory from more than one source. People would not have necessarily been in the water before being on the ice. IF the ship was close to ice when it started under it would be quite possible for people to jump from the ship to the ice without going in the water. I said possible not probable. Note I said IF. No one seems to know how close Titanic was to ice when she went down. Just because there is no ice close to the wreck site now, doesn't necessarily mean there wasn't any back then.

As for the U-boat theory, I didn't say I believed that; just it was something to think about: so are UFOs and the Easter Bunny!

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
Kind of interesting, though, that no survivors, neither crew nor passengers, mentioned any ice floes nearby that were large enough to hold several people when the ship was going down. And again, if you are going to damn Captain Lord, you must damn Captain Rostron as well, as well as any other ships that visited the wreck site that morning.

Connie Hedges

Apr 14, 2002
If they were in the middle of an ice field like Captain Lord stated, they probably didn't think it necessary to mention it. (The surviviors, crew, and passengers I mean). I do think all the ships should have checked out the possibility of people on ice. I think there were a lot of assumptions here maybe because what happened was so preposterous. Who would have believed the Titanic would sink? When told about the ship shooting flares, Captain Lord assumed a celebration was in progress instead of turning on the wireless and verifing what was going on. No matter what the location of the Californian, by Lord's own testimony it would only have taken them at the maximum of 2 hours to reach Titanic if his location was correct as he gave it to the Senate commitee; it took the Carpathia about 4 hours. Everyone assumed all people went into a life boat, the sea, or down with the Titanic. Sadly, the worst assumption was that the Titanic would not sink.

I like what James Cameron said in the preface to 'The Titanic Disaster Hearings: The Official Transcripts of the 1912 Senate Hearings'. This is a paraphrase since the material is copyrighted: Put yourself in the place of the ones who were there and feel the awfulness of it all. Ask as you read if the person had reason to lie or could be mistaken. Cover-ups happend back then too. Everyone must ultimately decide for themselves what they believe about that night.

Sorry, if I stepped on anyones toes. I'm new to the board so don't be too mad at me. :)

Mar 20, 2000
Connie,

No one is mad. You are certainly welcome here and your thoughts are much appreciated. For myself, I apologize if my statements above hurt you. They were only a jab at the show. Not you. I am glad you're here with us. And you have made good and valid points. I look forward to hearing more from you.

All my best,

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.