PBS Secrets of the Dead: Abandoning the Titanic

Oct 5, 2020
I saw a preview today for a show called “Abandoning the Titanic” which seems to be about a ghost ship that came close enough to provide aid but ignored Titanic & sailed past. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 14, 2005
I saw a preview today for a show called “Abandoning the Titanic” which seems to be about a ghost ship that came close enough to provide aid but ignored Titanic & sailed past. Has anyone ever heard of this?
I think that most of the people on this board have heard of it. It's been covered in many threads here and elsewhere. But thanks for bringing it up. I will watch it when it comes on here for 2 reasons. I like watching documentaries even when I disagree with their premise. Also Secrets of the Dead have made some interesting shows. Thanks and welcome to the board. Cheers.

Reactions: 1 user

Tim Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
I was about to post a new thread just as a DVR alert, but you beat me to it :p

My wife told me about the episode coming up, she likes the series and PBS in general.

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
Production Credits
Secrets of the Dead: Abandoning the Titanic
is a production of TH Entertainment, LLC, in association with THIRTEEN Productions LLC for WNET. Directed by Gregory Hall. Written by Sean Molony, Gregory Hall and Steven J. Shearsby. Barbara Hall and Bretton Hunchak are executive producers for TH Entertainment. Narrated by Jay O. Sanders. For Secrets of the Dead: Stephanie Carter is executive producer. Stephen Segaller is executive in charge.

It's Senan Molony by the way, not Sean Molony, who was the writer.
This is the same person who wrote, "Titanic: The New Evidence," that blamed the coal fire as the primary cause of the ship’s demise.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 5, 2020
I think that most of the people on this board have heard of it. It's been covered in many threads here and elsewhere. But thanks for bringing it up. I will watch it when it comes on here for 2 reasons. I like watching documentaries even when I disagree with their premise. Also Secrets of the Dead have made some interesting shows. Thanks and welcome to the board. Cheers.
Thank you:)

Tim Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
I saw it over the weekend, they basically said the mystery ship was the Mount Temple, and gave some circumstantial evidence and patted themselves on the back as if they solved a 100+ year old mystery. There were some things I did think interesting however, I knew the lookouts rang the bell 3 times for the iceberg right in front but didn't know about ringing the bell 1 time for an object to port or 2 times for an object to starboard.

I intend this post ONLY as a short review of the episode. I do not intend this, at all, to start another debate on this forum regarding the mystery ship.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
I just skimmed through a bit of the show on Youtube and this is completely off topic to the show, but is anyone just getting fed up at the downward drop in Quality of these Titanic documentaries in the last 5 years?

--------------
Ignoring the repetition of debunked theories, from a graphical perspective, This show above uses not only their own VFX effects (for Californian visual appearance shots of the Navigation lights) but also Titanic: Honor & Glory's Sinking time-lapse AND a youtube video by T.H.Cooney Art, all of which look completely different, style and sinking-wise.) You need to choose an art-graphic style and stick to it, not use all three!

(Does 0:30 and 1:57 look familiar to anyone?)
--------------

Back to topic, While this is just a brief glance at the documentary the only notable thing I see is there's supposedly a new photograph of the Californian and some coloured photographs of Captain Lord scattered throughout the show.

Nov 14, 2005
I just skimmed through a bit of the show on Youtube and this is completely off topic to the show, but is anyone just getting fed up at the downward drop in Quality of these Titanic documentaries in the last 5 years?

--------------
Ignoring the repetition of debunked theories, from a graphical perspective, This show above uses not only their own VFX effects (for Californian visual appearance shots of the Navigation lights) but also Titanic: Honor & Glory's Sinking time-lapse AND a youtube video by T.H.Cooney Art, all of which look completely different, style and sinking-wise.) You need to choose an art-graphic style and stick to it, not use all three!

(Does 0:30 and 1:57 look familiar to anyone?)
--------------

Back to topic, While this is just a brief glance at the documentary the only notable thing I see is there's supposedly a new photograph of the Californian and some coloured photographs of Captain Lord scattered throughout the show.
I think several people here on this board have commented on that. Lots of rehash and recycleing. But untill there's a major discovery that changes the story somewhat I don't know what else they can do.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
The really big problem is that they recycled footage of several experts talking about various things that came from other shows without asking or informing them (or compensating them) that they will be part of this doco.
at least the 80s and early 90s docs cared about the facts, not just forepeak images and sinking theories. they covered the whole story

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
The really big problem is that they recycled footage of several experts talking about various things that came from other shows without asking or informing them (or compensating them) that they will be part of this doco.
If that'a true (I can't look up the documentary again), then ignoring the show's claims for a moment, I imagine Molony would be quite upset / disappointed that his claim or new show has been tarnished by dodgy production with the makers using stock footage from previous documentaries.

at least the 80s and early 90s docs cared about the facts, not just forepeak images and sinking theories. they covered the whole story
To briefly discuss this again, but from a graphical point of view, all the Discovery Channel Documentaries from the 90's contained CGI sailing / sinking and wreck sequences all done by one company (called Home Run Pictures) and these rendered scenes (while perhaps outdated in terms of the sinking style, akin to the 1997 film) are extremely well done and still stand well really well today. :)

Also, these documentaries (along with the A&E "Death of a Dream" one) also created that trend of having actors reading a survivor's testimony and then ending with their name like:
"...Jack Thayer, 1st Class Passenger."

(Highlights video of some shots from "Answers of the Abyss")

Back to topic!

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
If that'a true (I can't look up the documentary again), then ignoring the show's claims for a moment, I imagine Molony would be quite upset / disappointed that his claim or new show has been tarnished by dodgy production with the makers using stock footage from previous documentaries.

To briefly discuss this again, but from a graphical point of view, all the Discovery Channel Documentaries from the 90's contained CGI sailing / sinking and wreck sequences all done by one company (called Home Run Pictures) and these rendered scenes (while perhaps outdated in terms of the sinking style, akin to the 1997 film) are extremely well done and still stand well really well today. :)

Also, these documentaries (along with the A&E "Death of a Dream" one) also created that trend of having actors reading a survivor's testimony and then ending with their name like:
"...Jack Thayer, 1st Class Passenger."

(Highlights video of some shots from "Answers of the Abyss")
That's why that animation was used in every early Discovery Channel Titanic Film! Ohhh!

Death of a Dream, and The Legend Lives on is now one of my favorite documentaries :)

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Harland, would I lie? I'll leave the lying to certain unnamed politicians.
Bill Sauder and Parks Stephenson posted on FB they were not informed about footage of them being used in this doco written by Molony.

Sorry If I offended you for what I wrote above Samuel, I know you would't lie about something like that (in retrospect I worded the above very badly). It's just shocking that a TV show would literally just copy and paste interview footage and not expect some repercussions.

Again, apologises for my previous post.

Nov 14, 2005
Well I guess there has to be somebody so I guess I'm it. I didn't think it was that bad. Yes lots of circumstancial evidence relied on with regards to the Mount Temple but I thought it was much better than "Titanic-The New Evidence" One thing I did notice right off at the beginning was the footage that had more smoke coming out of the fourth funnel than other three..doctored? Anyway thats my take on it. I had thought some of the Titanic historians in this had retired from it so it was nice to hear their take on the matter. You can watch it at the link below if interested. Hope all having a good evening. Cheers.

Last edited: