PBS Special Secrets of the Dead The Sinking of the Andrea Doria

Ryan Thompson

Dec 6, 2005
This is going to be rebroadcasted a few more times, at least. It was on last night (the 26th) but I missed it. These are the rebroadcast times for Oregon:
Friday July 28th 02:00am PDT
Monday July 31st 11:00pm PDT

After visitng the PBS website it looks like its going to be rebroadcast on different days in different states. Check here for listings: http://tv.yahoo.com/

Feb 9, 2006
I watched tonight...Didn't know anything about the story before and found it very interesting. So chilling to see the ship with her dreadful list and then sink beneath the waves. Never seen anything REAL like that...

Ryan Thompson

Dec 6, 2005
Watching the show right now. The experimental $150,000 Chrysler coupe was built by Italian coachbuilder Ghia. I love their cars. Anybody ever seen their Chrysler Imperial Limousines?

I wonder if a real ship was used for the recreation segments showing the interior of the bridge?

And when discussing how the sea off Nantucket is called "the Times Square of the Atlantic", there is a video clip of a three-funnel liner that is either the Normandia or the Queen Mary, and I can't figure out which.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>The experimental $150,000 Chrysler coupe was built by Italian coachbuilder Ghia. I love their cars. Anybody ever seen their Chrysler Imperial Limousines?

Yes! I had a neighbor who who owned one of the extremely rare 1958 models (and, yes, I mean the Crown Imperial by Ghia and not the standard 1958 Imperial) but she, and the car, have departed. Did not see the show~ was there a different shot of the experimental Ghia built Plymouth than the one that appears in all the books? The standard shot is a flat profile of the right hand side of the car. There was also a Rolls Royce that sank with the ship....and from time to time I find myself wondering if, despite the fact that the B Deck garage was crushed by the Stockholm, anything of either car has survived. Few of the European built experimental cars remain~ they were for demo only and, for the most part, destroyed when they had outlived their usefulness to avoid having to pay import duty on them~ and even fragments of the lost Plymouth Norseman would be interesting to see again.

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
For what it's worth, I know that the only other model of that Ghia coupe ever made was appearing at car shows in New York in the early to mid '80's. I'm sure its current whereabouts could be easily traced.

I hadn't known that the Stockholm hit the garage, and always wondered why no one talked about whether or not divers tried to reach what was left of the cars.

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
The Gifford family lost their Volkswagen aboard the ship too. I talked with survivor Jerome Reinert and he was very pleased with the special and the background of the lounge. Too real, I would imagine.
Mike

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
That article posted on the Giffords the other day said it was a Volkswagon bus. I didn't think VW busses went back that far. I'll have to read up on this when I have the time.

So other cars were the Parkers' Rolls Royce and at least one American family had their station wagon on board. Another thing it would be fun to compose a list of; another thing to do when I have the time, which isn't now, during the usual pre-weekend push here at the office!
Regards,

Ryan Thompson

Dec 6, 2005
VW Buses go back to the early-1950s I think. There is one here in the town I live in dating from I think 1956, coincidentally. The tail light configuration is different from later models in that it is three or four separate lights on each side, and later became one cluster. Plus the front seat is a bench instead of a pair of bucket seats. I didn't know a Rolls-Royce went down with the ship! I'm betting it was a Silver Cloud or Dawn.

K

Kyle Johnstone

>The experimental $150,000 Chrysler coupe was >built by Italian coachbuilder Ghia

>despite the fact that the B Deck garage was >crushed by the Stockholm, anything of either >car has survived.

According to David Bright in "Alive on the Andrea Doria", the experimental Chrysler was crated and stowed in the #2 cargo hold. Bright claims to have seen the decayed remains of the car amongst the wreckage of the #2 cargo hold.

D

David Parker Ambach

The Rolls belonged to my great uncle, Ed Parker.