Peak Tank Rooms on Orlop and Tanktop Decks

B

Bill Sauder

Dave:

Are you refering to a 14" flat b****** file? (a file of uncertain paternaty I guess)

(I love this filter to prevent "naughty" language on the board.)

Good thing we're not talking about oscillating engines. The NAACP would have a field day with us.

Bill Sauder

M

Matthew Lips

Tracy.
The "full stop" was simply meant to indicate that to me the matter is not negotiable. Ships are "she", and in my book will remain so - stressing that I am talking for myself and that others can naturally do as they wish. I guess Americans would have said "period"!

Tracy Smith

Tracy Smith

Oh. In the US, "full stop" is what a car comes to at a stop sign or a red light.

M

Matthew Lips

With some South African drivers, full go is what a car comes to at a stop sign or red light...they would have rammed that pesky iceberg head on all right!

W

Williamz902

Height from Tank Top to Orlop Deck

I'm trying to find out what the height was from the Tank Top to the Orlop Deck. I realize that in different parts of the ship, the height from the Tank Top to the Orlop Deck may have varied, but can someone give me a general average, or even specific heights?

I've tried searching the internet and one website gave me 8 feet as an average, while others gave me 14 feet as an average?

Regards,

William.

Samuel Halpern

Samuel Halpern

William,

As you may already know, the Orlop deck was in two parts. One part extended 190 ft forward of boilers, and the second part extended 210 ft aft of machinery spaces. The Orlop deck was listed as being 13' 6" below a 34' 7" waterline, which therefore brings it to 21' 1" above the ship's keel. The tank top was about 5 ft above the keel and extended for the full breadth of the vessel from bulkhead A aft to 20 ft before bulkhead P. Therefore, this places the Orlop deck about 16 ft above the level of the Tank Top. The Orlop deck abaft of the turbine engine-room and forward of the collision bulkhead (A) was watertight.

W

Williamz902

Thanks

William,

As you may already know, the Orlop deck was in two parts. One part extended 190 ft forward of boilers, and the second part extended 210 ft aft of machinery spaces. The Orlop deck was listed as being 13' 6" below a 34' 7" waterline, which therefore brings it to 21' 1" above the ship's keel. The tank top was about 5 ft above the keel and extended for the full breadth of the vessel from bulkhead A aft to 20 ft before bulkhead P. Therefore, this places the Orlop deck about 16 ft above the level of the Tank Top. The Orlop deck abaft of the turbine engine-room and forward of the collision bulkhead (A) was watertight.

Thank you, that helps.