Pearl Harbor Cameron's Titanic goes Hawaiian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless you are a diabetic, then it's insulin.
happy.gif

"Pearl Harbour" Sorry Harbor (why do people mess about with the spelling of the English language?)
makes its debut in the UK tonight. I just hope it is better than the restaurant of the same name in Southampton where I had perhaps the most awful meal ever!

If you ever sail to sunny South Australia you will find safe harbours at Victor Harbor and Outer Harbor.

We use English spelling for everything except the names of harbours/harbors/harbers/harbars. Weird? Not us!

Tracy Smith

American English has removed the French influence in such words. Harbor for harbour. Theater for theatre. And so on. Such spellings indicate the French influence on our language. Have no idea how or why American English moved away from the French influence like this.

It's times like these where I'm glad that a seemingly-wayward Scottish teacher in the Georgia school system forever altered the way I spell my words. Because of the habit patterns he taught me, my lexicon is a mixture of the Queen's English and the Colonial bastardisation.

Parks

Dear List....

Well...I knew I was in trouble with Pearl
Harbor when the two kids jump into the crop
duster and start feign shooting with WWII style
zest and pretending to radio each other from
their seats.

In a line from the 1950 Oscar winning film,
All About Eve: "...It was an afront to all dead
pilots, and the women who loved them."

I thought the musical score was terrific,
but could have done without Faith Hill's attempt
to become Celine Dion.

If it's World War II you want....hurry and
go see Enemy at the Gates which got far, far
less publicity, but delivers four very solid
performances and lots of accuracy to history.

The only characters I found likeable were
Danny and Red. The rest were shells or over-
actors. The Oscar winners, Gooding and Affleck,
should get a pay cut on the next one.

Brian Meister

Beverly,

I never picked up my teacher's Scottish accent, and my Southern accent has faded in the 20+ years I've lived in California. However, two habits remain:

- Because I'm originally from the East Coast, the fact that the ocean is now on the wrong side has really screwed up my conception of East and West. I have to double-check myself constantly on this.

- My Scottish teacher's influence (I had him for two years) was such that I normally write the English version of many words. I have to either consciously make the effort to use the American spelling, or rely on my spell-checker.

Of course, Eric Sauder says that I'm just a big phony. That would mean something if he were interested in a real ship, but he spends most of his time concentrating on Lusitania.

Parks

K

Kathy Savadel

Hmmm...wouldn't your Scottish teacher be bound by some sort of educational regulation, Parks, to teach the American spellings in an American school? That must have been a REALLY, REALLY long time ago!

Just kidding! LOL!

Cheers,
Kathy

Parks,

Lusitania, not a real ship...how dare you sir! Real ships stay afloat longer than their maiden voyage! What's a Scot doing teaching English? We all know they can't manage the vowels!

Parks blathered: "Of course, Eric Sauder says that I'm just a big phony. That would mean something if he were interested in a real ship,
but he spends most of his time concentrating on Lusitania."

Parks, Parks, Parks. *sigh* When are you going to learn that Lusitania is the *only* real ship (not to mention the only one worth being interested in)?

Eric "the enlightened one" Sauder

Parks said:

>Because I'm originally from the East Coast, the fact that the ocean is now on the wrong side
has really screwed up my conception of East and West. I have to double-check myself constantly on this.

And I thought I was the only one with this problem! (I'm originally from Connecticut)

I still have a bit of my New England accent, which pops out from time to time. And my kids belly-ache about the words I taught them to use, such as grinders and soda - which nobody here in the Pacific Northwest use.

Status
Not open for further replies.