People at top of the dummy funnel?

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Reports of people at the top of the fourth funnel appear in two different threads right now. In the "Roches Point Picture" thread, the reference is to the Titanic stoker at Queenstown. In the "June 1911---Olympic's Maiden Voyage" thread, the reference is to two passengers being up there as Olympic passed Quarantine on her maiden New York arrival.

Was that really a place that passengers could get to? Are there any other reports out there of people---whether passengers or crew---being seen at the top of the fourth funel?

Dec 7, 2000
Mark, I'll have to search again, but I do remember reading references to people being up there in the funnel (I think these were for Olympic). It really made me think that this was no odd place to find people.

May 5, 2001
Well whether it is true ot not Mark, one cannot deny it would be a pretty spectacular view...and if someone has been up there around 11:40pm on the 14th, what a memorable view that would have been eh?

Regards,
Bill

S

Stefan Christiansson

Where would one enter to climb up the dummy funnel? Was there a hatch at the base or would one enter from below?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
If my read of the general plans is correct, somebody would have been in for one very long climb to get up in that funnel. The one sure access that I know of is by way of a ladder in the Turbine engine room. However, this does not rule out the possibility of manholes and scuttles in the casing on the upper decks.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Michael,

You are correct about the funnel, which would have been up a ladder or several sets of ladders. As you mentioned, their may have been other ways of accessing it though.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
One might also add that in order to make this climb from any point, it would help to be very physically fit. Not much doubt that most if not all of the crew would be up to it, but how many passengers would be up to climbing from the engine room all the way to the top?

I've done something similar on the USS George Washington. There are no stacks involved in a nuclear powered ship, but you can always try negotiating the ladders (Stairs to our land bound gentry!) from a storeroom down on the second platform and going all the way up to the flight deck. I've done that, and sounded like a wheezy old bellows after the climb.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I would imagine it would be a tough climb, all the way to the top. IMHO, I don't think very many passengers would be willing to attempt it.

Come to think of it, I don't even think they would have access into the turbine engine room.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Feb 14, 2011
Its been suggested in the Father Brown stern shot of Titanic, where Titanic's name is visible, the head of the stoker perched atop the fourth funnel can be seen. Sorry, but to my eyes, its not a head, but a speck on the photo. The speck had no neck attached, suggesting it was not a person.....

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
I have heard or read of a woman seeing someone up in the funnel at one of the ports of call and took it as a bad omen.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?

-Don

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Yep. It's an old story. Supposedly, this happened in Queeenstown when a stoker who had come up for some air...and perhaps to enjoy the view...was seen by some very startled passengers. His blackened face must have been quite a sight. I've seen at least one photo which tends to support this story too.

Dec 7, 2000
Don,

If you and I are thinking of the same thing, then this is from Beesley's book. Pat Cook and I had a discuccion about this a few years back, as to who we think this woman was. I'm not a second class passenger person, so I collected several 2nd class lists to try figure it out, and then I read the passage and realised the answer was simpler than I expected. Pat Cook can fill you in on the details if he still remembers. :)

Daniel.

PS. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall report of this at Southampton as well. If true, this may suggest that it's a common occurance.

J

john skinner

the 4th funnel is an interesting discussion.it was actually placed there because either white star line or harland and wolf wanted the olympic class vessels to APPEAR to be stronger and faster than their rivals' best ships even though they were. they didn't want the vessels to appear "weak".

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
Tarn,
I have to respectfully disagree with your thought that the 'speck' is not a person because no neck can be seen....
In photography, the lack of the neck can be easily explained; the strength of the light source would have refracted/bent the light enough so that any thinner portion of the torso would 'disappear' into the exposure of the light source. I've had this happen in photographs I've taken, myself, and I believe this is what happened in this photo, too.

Jamie Bryant

Aug 30, 2003
The Normandie also had a dummy funnel. Instead of ventilation, like Titanic, the dog kennels were situated inside it.