People who didn't go all the way

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jason Bidwell

Hello - as we all know there were passengers and crew who boarded the Titanic and sailed with her part of the way, but disembarked at Cherbourg or Queenstown. My question is: are any of those people still alive? And if not, when did the last "survivor" die? These questions only occurred to me when I was watching the PBS documentary "Lost Liners," in which they showed again the photographs Father Browne took:-- I wonder if anyone has done any research on these people and can help.

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Jason,
I do not know for absolute certain, but I believe
Jack Odell, who died in 1995 at the age of 95, was
the last surviving cross-channel passenger
(Southampton to Queenstown). He was 12 at the time
and his family was instrumental in providing a
photo account of first class passenger life and
the New York's near collision in Southampton.
He was the last first class passenger on board
Titanic to die. The last 'official' first class
passenger (who was on board the entire trip) to
die was Marjorie Jewell Robb, in 1992.

Hope this helps!
Dan

J

Jason Bidwell

Dan - Thank you very much. That is exactly what I wanted to know.

D

Dennis P. Foley

Let me throw this in. I was living in the Washington, DC area until 1997 and there was a woman who lived in suburban Virginia (Falls Church)who was a cross-channel first-class passenger. Her first name was (is?) Eileen and I can't for the life of me remember the last name. She was interviewed in a NY Times (I believe it was that paper) interview with 7 survivors in the early 90s. The article ("Eight who Remember") accompanied another article about Titanic. I know I have a copy stashed away somewhere and I will try to find it. However, I do not know if she is still alive or, if not, when she passed. Will try to revisit this site. Dennis Foley

Lou Kerr

Dec 13, 1999
Dear Dennis,

She was Eileen Lennox-Coyngham and is listed with the cross channel passengers. There was also an article about her in the Wall Street Journal sometime around 1990 when a letter she had written while on board Titanic to her governess was auctioned. I have the article somewhere in my files should you be interested in additional information from it.

Best regards,

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.