People who has seen Titanic and still are alive

M

Mikael Jonsson

There can't be many left who remember seeing Titanic.

I found this page: http://www.ulstertitanic.com/john.html
It's about a man who remembers Titanic. He was five at the time and is 95 today.

Except for him there is Lillian Asplund.

Maybe you know anyone to add to the list?

Mar 15, 2001
I am sure there are probably more than you realize. The producer of "A Night To Remember' William MacQuitty remembers Titanics launch.

Dec 8, 2000
Good catch, Darren, and nice page you found there, Mikael. MacQuitty's a very interesting person and his autobiography, 'A Life to Remember', certainly lives up to the promise of its title. He's got quite a bit on his memory of seeing Titanic in it too, and in 'Titanic Memories: the Making of a Night to Remember'.

I'm also sure there's a chapter on the memories of Belfast residents who remember seeing Titanic, whether her launch or just passing by, in Stephen Cameron's 'Titanic - Belfast's Own'. I won't have access to this book for another 12 hours, and if no one with a copy closer to hand steps in here in the interim, I'll look it up for you tonight.

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
My grandmother came out from Belfast in 1915.
I remember as a young boy her telling me about going out in a small boat and seeing the great ship as she was waiting to sail to Sothampton.
It was her stories about what happened to the TITANIC in 1912 that has ultimately led me here.

She died in 1978 when I was 16. She was by then in her mid 80's

Martin

Apr 22, 2012
Interesting story, Martin!

Here I come, emerging out of the shadows! Believe it or not, I'm still here, but I've been having a very busy school year.

I believe it was in Titanic Voices that I read about a woman whose father helped construct Titanic, and took her and one of her friends to see her one Sunday. I'm not sure if she's still alive, but I remember reading that her mother did not approve of the builders working on Sunday, or something like that. Perhaps someone on here knows the exact quote and what book it came from.

Also, I finally posted my mugshot on my profile, if anyone wants to take a gander at it.

Dec 8, 2000
Thanks for sharing that, Martin. Stories like that memory of your Grandmother's make up the 'I Saw the Titanic' chapter in 'Titanic: Belfast's Own'.

Mikael, here's a list of those who Stephen Cameron interviewed for their memories of seeing Titanic. Most were young children at the time and had family with a direct connection to H&W:
  • Mollie Cornforth (nee Armstrong), 1906-
  • Bob Currie, 1900-1997
  • Tommy McBride, 1905-1998
  • William McQuitty, 1905-
  • Francis John Parkinson, 1907- (past president of the Ulster Titanic Society, this is the man featured on their web site)
  • Gordon Roberts, 1906-
  • Paddy Scott, 1907-
  • Hans Williamson, 1900-
As you can see, it's only a short list and some of them passed away between the time of their interview and the book's publication. Given the book came out in 1998, it's also likely that a couple more of these old people are no longer with us. Jim Carlisle (web master of the Ulster Society's net site) could probably assist or put you in touch with other Ulster Society members who could advise on the continued good health or otherwise of these Belfast locals.

However, there were thousands of H&W workers with young families, so there's probably still more people out there with 'Titanic memories'. Then there's the Belfast locals who may've had no direct H&W connection, but like McQuitty, could've seen Titanic leaving Belfast.

Apr 22, 2012
Thanks Adam. I'm glad to be back, but my posts will be less frequent than before because band practice and an increased amount of homework has been consuming my time.

It would be nice if we had more of these stories. Although these people only got glimpses of the great vessel, they are still interesting to hear nonetheless.

M

Mikael Jonsson

Thank you everyone for helping me in my research.

Your information has been very helpful. I have
managed to contact a man born 1908 who has travelled with Olympic. He should travel USA-EUROPE with Titanic 1912, but when it sank his family had to change to Olympic. He doesn't remember much of the travel, but it is always interesting to hear stories like his.

Finding relatives to workers in Harland & Wolff was also easy. One friend back in high school is originally from Belfast. It was interesting to hear him tell me about his grandfather who worked with building Titanic.

If you find any more stories. Please post
happy.gif

best regards, mike